Topfield 5800 Menu & EPG Flicker

JayDub

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Toppy and am finding the flicker whenever the menu or EPG are displayed very annoying. It seems particularly bad on the yellow and white areas of the screen.

If there isn't some way of improving this, I'm likely to swap it for the Humax 9200, which Superfi have let me have on a buy two, return one basis.

Has anybody else seen similar issues?

Would installing a TAP, e.g. MyStuff, resolve the issue?

Never seen any flicker what so ever.....Not on the original menu, and not on the MyStuff versions...

I would suspect TV settings and connections...

I used to have this problem, but don't anymore (I use MyStuff). I still have an old CRT. Why I don't see this flicker anymore, I have no idea. It may be the different presentation of MyStuff vs. the vanilla EPG and menus, I'm not sure, I can check when I get home.

Never seen any flicker what so ever.....Not on the original menu, and not on the MyStuff versions...

I would suspect TV settings and connections...

Dejongj,

TV Picture quality is fine. The issue is only with the On Screen Display.

I'm fairly certain that the connections are OK.

Any idea what TV settings are worth checking?

I used to have this problem, but don't anymore (I use MyStuff). I still have an old CRT. Why I don't see this flicker anymore, I have no idea. It may be the different presentation of MyStuff vs. the vanilla EPG and menus, I'm not sure, I can check when I get home.

Ian,

If you could, I would be extremely grateful. :)

Whilst I think the Toppy is the better box, I will swap it out for the Hummy, unless I can resolve this issue.

I have resisted installing MyStuff since the box is with me 'on approval'

I have just spoken to Superfi who think that using TAPS may resolve the issue.

Have you tried Menu - System Setting - A/V output setting -
Try changing TV Type should be PAL or try multi
Try changing Video Output - RGB will probably give best result

Never seen any flicker on menus myself so cannot suggest much else

Richard

Have you tried Menu - System Setting - A/V output setting -

Try changing TV Type should be PAL or try multi
Try changing Video Output - RGB will probably give best result

Never seen any flicker on menus myself so cannot suggest much else

Richard

Richard,

Current settings are PAL1 and RGB, but will have a play later.

PS TAPs will not have any effect on the native Toppy Menu.

Ian,

If you could, I would be extremely grateful. :)

I've just checked, and on my CRT yes, the vanilla EPG and Archive displays do have a slight flicker - but they are on the yellow portion of the form header or banner only. This must be down to the design of these specific forms. It is only visible on vanilla Toppy screens - and only on that topmost part.

I have my settings at RGB and PAL I; however, having played with it, nothing makes a difference. I just assumed that this wouldn't manifest itself on flat panel TVs (LCD, plasma). What do you have?

To be honest, because I very rarely look at the standard screens, and otherwise the overall PQ is truly excellent, I had completely forgotten about it to the extent that I thought it had gone away till you mentioned it.

TAPs may not address this specific issue, but they do offer alternative EPGs. If I were you, before I sent it back for this reason, I would try installing a TAP such as MyStuff with eit2mei to see if you're happier with that, it's easy to do. A simpler alternative is EPG Navigator.

See http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/cgi/SkinLibrary.cgi for the various 'Skins' available for MyStuff, to see what you might get. The team behind it are also about to release a new version (end of year) with an overhauled EPG; and the functionality built into both the current and the next version is quite impressive, offering things you will never get with any other PVR of a similar price (bar the TiVo, no longer available). Check the MyStuff manual for what you can do.

Next version includes channel logos:
http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/NextVersion_EPG.shtml

I have also read this thread contribution on toppy.org.uk (I see you have been there too with this post!):

"The default toppy OSD screens are so badly designed with respect to the colours and font choice that they do tend to flicker.

"Many of the TAPs that replace OSD screens use a a better font and have a higher font colour to background colour contrast ratio."

So I would encourage you to try an alternative EPG.

Hope this helps

Ian

I've just checked, and on my CRT yes, the vanilla EPG and Archive displays do have a slight flicker - but they are on the yellow portion of the form header or banner only. This must be down to the design of these specific forms. It is only visible on vanilla Toppy screens - and only on that topmost part.

I have my settings at RGB and PAL I; however, having played with it, nothing makes a difference. I just assumed that this wouldn't manifest itself on flat panel TVs (LCD, plasma). What do you have?

To be honest, because I very rarely look at the standard screens, and otherwise the overall PQ is truly excellent, I had completely forgotten about it to the extent that I thought it had gone away till you mentioned it.

TAPs may not address this specific issue, but they do offer alternative EPGs. If I were you, before I sent it back for this reason, I would try installing a TAP such as MyStuff with eit2mei to see if you're happier with that, it's easy to do. A simpler alternative is EPG Navigator.

See http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/cgi/SkinLibrary.cgi for the various 'Skins' available for MyStuff, to see what you might get. The team behind it are also about to release a new version (end of year) with an overhauled EPG; and the functionality built into both the current and the next version is quite impressive, offering things you will never get with any other PVR of a similar price (bar the TiVo, no longer available). Check the MyStuff manual for what you can do.

Next version includes channel logos:
http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/NextVersion_EPG.shtml

I have also read this thread contribution on toppy.org.uk (I see you have been there too with this post!):

"The default toppy OSD screens are so badly designed with respect to the colours and font choice that they do tend to flicker.

"Many of the TAPs that replace OSD screens use a a better font and have a higher font colour to background colour contrast ratio."

So I would encourage you to try an alternative EPG.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for this very comprehensive reply.

It does sound as though we have a similar issue. Our TV is a Panasonic 28" CRT and the flicker is much worse on the yellow portions.

I will go ahead and try a TAP. Probably MyStuff and eit2mei. I'll post back with how I get on.

Loaded MyStuff and eit2mei last night. The amount of flicker has reduced, but certainly hasn't disappeared.

Think a further discussion with Superfi is in order.

Having used the Toppy with a fully populated EPG at switch on, the Humax seems less of a viable option.

Loaded MyStuff and eit2mei last night. The amount of flicker has reduced, but certainly hasn't disappeared.

Having used the Toppy with a fully populated EPG at switch on, the Humax seems less of a viable option.

JayDub, I've been interested in this thread trail as I have also noticed reports about flicker on topfields. Hopefully you can get around it by installing other taps. You'll be pleased to know both Topfield and Humax will be releasing a software update which will include the ability for the EPG to be stored even when going in and out of standby, in Humaxs case probably in the next month or two. Topfield also in the new year. PM me if you want to know more details.

Are you comparing the Toppy's EPG before and after, or MyStuff's? It may seem a silly question, but it's just to reiterate that MS will make no difference to the standard EPG (which you access by pressing EPG twice once MS is loaded).

Are you comparing the Toppy's EPG before and after, or MyStuff's? It may seem a silly question, but it's just to reiterate that MS will make no difference to the standard EPG (which you access by pressing EPG twice once MS is loaded).

I'm judging the MyStuff EPG against the quality of OSD that the Humax gives me (i.e completely flicker free).

I had already discovered that it is possible to switch between the two, although more by accident than design!

JayDub,

I had exactly the same problem with two different Topfields in the last couple of weeks - really bad flicker in the EPG and Menu OSDs.

I have a Sony KV28LS35 CRT TV.

I have just sent the second unit back with the conclusion that the Toppy seems to be incompatible with the TV and I don't fancy buying a new LCD TV.

Didn't try the TAPs (MyStuff).

Also had a Humax 9200T but the fan was very noisy - it depends how sensitive you are to the fan noise when out of standby mode.

May go for the new Daewoo DSD9503T which like the Toppy is fan-less.

JayDub,

I had exactly the same problem with two different Topfields in the last couple of weeks - really bad flicker in the EPG and Menu OSDs.

I have a Sony KV28LS35 CRT TV.

I have just sent the second unit back with the conclusion that the Toppy seems to be incompatible with the TV and I don't fancy buying a new LCD TV.

Didn't try the TAPs (MyStuff).

Also had a Humax 9200T but the fan was very noisy - it depends how sensitive you are to the fan noise when out of standby mode.

May go for the new Daewoo DSD9503T which like the Toppy is fan-less.

John,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also on my second Toppy, but for a different reason. The original box wouldn't hold signal on Tuner 2 mux A.

TAPS like MyStuff or EPGNavigator do help.

Superfi are suggesting upgrading the SCART lead, which is currently a JVC £10 special. Does anybody think this will help?

The Humax doesn't flicker as much, but on close inspection the whole scheduler box jitters. Less obvious because it's blue on black!

I'm going to carry on with the Toppy for the next few days and see how it goes.

I can still foresee another trip back to Superfi for the Humax,

Incidentally Humax have just released further firmware to diminish the gap in functionality between a tapped Toppy and the Hummy.

Perhaps they think the scart is two way and the tv is pumping signal back down the scart which is being picked up by output side again. That can happen but I'd expect interferrence on the picture although it could be just affecting the sync line. You want a fully individually screened scart cable or ideal just a one way cable.

What about other kit, DVD player menus etc. With the same scart cable. Do they have the same problem. It sounds like the hummy has a similar issue but less noticeable would would suggest a cable or TV cause.

I've a toppy with a plasma and have no flicker problems but then plasma are progressive AFAIK and my leads are all separately screened.

AFAIR there was a tap to store and load EPG but I thought that had now been done in the latest firmware.

The Humax doesn't flicker as much, but on close inspection the whole scheduler box jitters. Less obvious because it's blue on black!

Incidentally Humax have just released further firmware to diminish the gap in functionality between a tapped Toppy and the Hummy.

Unfortunately it seems they don't build devices with CRT in mind anymore.:( We are woefully behind in Europe when it comes to HD and digital in general, and new flat panel TVs and such don't (generally) work well with SD sources - though they are getting better.

Incidentally, I see the Humax has upgraded its timer limit to 50, with some other enhancements on the latest firmware. This gets it closer to the Topfield's 70 and is a big improvement. However note the following features available with the MyStuff TAP that take it to a different league (sorry to be boring about this but it's worth bearing these in mind). Remember this is free:

• Quick set-up, longer set-up and advanced search setup of automatic timers based on keywords
  • Automatic organisation of those regular recordings (series) into folders
  • Prioritisation control of such series links
  • Quickjump keys to skip through adverts
  • Automatic adjustment of timer padding to allow additional recordings when programmes are adjacent
  • Grid-view EPG a la Sky
  • Replacement views for most screens, including Archive
  • User-creatable colour schemes (skinning), at least 30 currently available
  • Multiple user support
  • Extensive configuration options
  • 'Now and Next' views
  • Friendly naming of the saved recordings, with full details of when, how and where recorded
  • Genre support
  • Films marked with 'F' in the EPG
  • Progress bars in Now and Next; font size control

In the new version, hopefully out in the new year, the following will be provided, according to the website, can't vouch for it though.

• Channel logos on all views, incuding EPGs, Archive, N&N
  • Additional new single-channel EPG view (with all full descriptions of programmes)
  • Optional visual 3D gradients in the GUI
  • Easier ability to exclude specific automatically-set timers when not required (e.g. if you're going to watch it, or it's a repeat)
  • Ability to create automatic timers (ControlTimers) when in playback, to record future episodes
  • Automatic detection of split recordings (e.g. if you record a film split by the news, will pick up the second part)
  • Jump to Next Episode in EPG
  • Grid version of Now and Next

The ideal solution is a fully-blown PC with Media Centre that's reliable and has your chosen software running on it, but reviews I've read of such set-ups lead me to believe they have some way to go. It's a shame as then you could customise, add hardware, burn DVDs etc. quickly, and go down whatever road you choose; but failing that the Toppy's the nearest thing. And when true series link becomes available (and more to the point, is reliable) then I think all PVR manufacturers will jump on board. In some ways, the intelligent EPG searches available now may be better than series link; we shall see.

All this talk makes me realise how much extra my Toppy could do if I could get round to installing the TAPs...!

Any feedback on said PVR? I've seen it for 149 which seems very reasonable.

Take a look at the info on the daewoo forum at digitalspy:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Got a 160Gb daewoo 9503t for 139.99 from play.com

The PVR is well specified for the money and very easy to use.
Picture quality is good but the sound is a little tinny over scart but better over the optical output through an AV amp.

I am pleased with the purchase as it has neither of the problems I had with the Humax and the Topfield.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom