Top Up TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Lebowski, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Freeview box a little while ago, and after setting it up I saw the adverts for the extra channels through it so took it back to get a new box that was compatable with it. They didn't have anything suitable at the time, so I've been waiting. Still nothing.

Can anyone tell me where I could buy a decent box with a card slot? I don't know how Top Up manges to keep running if people can't order it.

2. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to their site and they have a list of compatible equipment: http://www.topup.tv/

They got many of their customers who still have the On-digital boxes by Philips and Nokia - both makes available on Ebay

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think they will be going much longer - poor take up and also not very good customer service by all accounts.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Now we would never have predicted that, would we :devil:
    And with such a high quality line up of channels how could I resist :nono:

Mark.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    TUTV might have made some sense if you could record it but none of the PVRs support it.

It is so poor it has not yet been hacked!!! :laugh: :eek:

6. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I looked there before but that must have been before the Thompson model they now show came out.

I don't really want to get this if it's not going to continue though. Maybe now that the likes of Currys and Argos are selling compatable models will boost take up, it was hardly going to be a big success if the only people that could get it were ones who already had On-digital or wanted to go search out an old box on eBay.

The channel package seemed alright to me. Most of the films I miss not having Sky for seem to be on TCM, and I wanted Cartoon Network for the kids. Add E4 and Discovery and I thought it was a reasonable alternative with the other Freeview channels to Sky for people who don't want a dish or to pay out a lot every month.

Martin - Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PVR? I've not come across the term before. I hadn't heard about recording problems either, you can't tape anything off it?

7. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no problems recording anything from the TUTV channels. Use a VCR, or computer which I use and you get perfect results. When you sign up and get your card I don't know what else you would need from customer service and I had no trouble. They even phoned me after a couple of weeks to make sure everything was working - but then I don't listen to people who base their opinions on "by all accounts".
    £2.00 a week for TCM, E4, UK Gold and Discovery seems like good value to me. When analogue is turned off in a couple of years(?) there will be many more channels available and you will probably need a card slot for other subscription companies.
    I am very happy with TUTV; it could be better - TCM all day and Film Four would be nice, and hopefully one day they will expand the service.

8. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks CeeGee, I think I'm going to give it a try.

I think I misunderstood the recording comment, I think he meant it's a problem but only if you have Tivo.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder

Eg Pace Twin

As I said if none of the DTTV PVRs support it you may as well not bother as then you can't cherry pick the programmes you want

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TiVo works with TUTV!
    As Martin said PVR = Personal Video Recorder. This is basically a TV recording system that record to a computer hard disk instead of tape and also has an included EPG (electronic program guide or onscreen TV listings if you prefer).

Mark.

11. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or. of course, don't bother with a Pace Twin or any other DTTV PVR, and be happy with a simple set up and TUTV - and enjoy what they offer.

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    With a rubbish ONdodgy box and then try finding the Tivo you need!

I reckon TUTV will go bump by next May

13. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that a stab in the dark or do you have a reason to think this?

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well the subscriber figures are low, the carriage charges high and the churn rate is greater than ITVDs.

The CAMs for IDTVs are expensive and the top end FV boxes like the Twin can't use it.

The old Ondodgy boxes are pretty dire compared to todays FV boxes.

So this stops a large amount of FV viewers straight away.

Others of us remember OND/ITVD lineup 15 channel for £3 per month (IDTV deal) - at least 12 full time services compared with 4.

Now compare the channels, no Taste CFN no Discovery Wings, no extra music channels but anyway TMF and The Hits are MUCH better than MTV and UK Play were! E4 is not very good, and most of the other channels are repeat channels. I can't remember what the children channels offered were but Cbeebies was the most popular until recently (growing up now!)

Now add in £20 starter money, and Seca 2 so you can't use Ondodgy cards & Cams forget it!

Now since it is unrecordable as only my IDTV could use it why bother because I'd rather cherry pick the programmes.

£116 per year - similar to another amount of money which gives me 4 full time, 4 part time, 3 interactive TV channels, and 10 or so radio channels.

I reckon I would watch 1 or 2 programmes per month!!!!

15. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I can see you don't rate the service very high!

I was meaning the May part though, is something happening then I don't know about? Channel change, price increase, new competitor, something up for renewal type thing?

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I chose May as it is roughly a year after they started!

As to Topup - they are doing everything to wind _ME_ up.

1) I detest gnomes - give me an AK47 and 100 gnomes.
    2) It lowered the PQ of channel 5
    3) 1)
    4) 2)
    5) Too expensive for a poor selection of channels
    6) Awkwards to start and finish and tend to cut you off

If the Twin could do it and they did 1 per household rather than box AND it was under £3 per month with no joining fee I'd consider - and no-ones hacked it yet!

Now if it was worth it people would have subscribed.

Now my interest in pirating Ondigital which I never did was simple and at one level only.

At the time I had an awfull loan Nokia box which they lent me until Sony got the CAM support sorted (the £3 per month) - I ended up with a Nokia box and a CAM - I wanted to use both, Nokia with my M40 but the Nokia was miles worse than the TV for PQ, - what happened instead was Ondigital going bust.

All I wanted to do was clone my own card for the box.

However since the rise of Freeview and the return of how I started with DTTV (ie FTA) I like it this way - I now have 3 DTTV products.

I was one of only 200 or so people who contacted ITC prior to the Freeview startup