1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Up TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mr Pumpkinhead, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Has anyone here used Top Up TV yet?

Does anyone plan on doing so?

Personally looking forward to it failing, as I’ve just handed over my annual £121 to the lovely BBC for freeview.

2. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that you will find that the £121 is tax to watch television rather than a subscription to freeview. It just happens to fund the BBC, much in the same way as other taxes fund other public services that you may or may not use.

3. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, I am aware of the funding model for the BBC.
    Perhaps I should have put some “ironic” quotes around the word “freeview”.;)

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    Don't think there's much danger of TUTV lasting long. IMO.

5. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not, but for some of us without sky or cable it's better than nothing....

6. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who on earth would subscribe to 4 and a half video streams on a Multiplex which has such poor coverage and reception compared to the Freeview ones?

UKTV Gold is a channel which is all repeats from the BBC so i can't understand why people want to pay for what was once shown Freely on the BBC.

UKTV Food and UKTV Style, well if you are willing to wait you can catch all the repeats for free on UKTV BrightIdeas.

If UKTV had sense they would ditch UKTV BrightIdeas and put UKTV People or UKTV Documenarty on free-to-air.

Television X well you have to be a sad loner who never gets out to watch that.

Bloomberg would have been on 'CBM' if it succeed and Bloomberg is already FREE on the internet.

To use the service you have to 'downgrade' your fast and modern Freeview box to dated technology which does not work with interactive channels such as 'Teletext on 4'...need i go on?

Roll in the administrators. :clap:

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You surely don't begrudge the licence fee do you? The BBC's output is in the main top drawer, certainly much better than the offerings from the commercial channels. I for one don't begrudge a penny of my licence fee. Why do the skin flint Brits always want something for nothing? Truly amazing.

:lesson:

8. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not very knowlegable about satellite TV, but why can't you recieve it? The only excuse I've heard of is that people live in listed buildings. There are actually discreet dishes you can get which can be placed by a window to get a signal (don't know whgere from but I know they are available.)

Rich:censored:

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Can't speak for anyone else but I've paid SKY for the last 11 or so years because the BBC and the other terrestrial channels were not providing content I wanted to watch.
    I have paid the license fee for the duration of my SKY subscription because I do not want to end up in court or go through the rigmarole of pretending I do not have a TV or other reception equipment.
    Given the opportunity not receive BBC telly I would gladly keep my £116 (or is it £121 now).

While the license fee exists I will pay it but it's time for the UK population to have the choice and the switch to an all digital network along with encryption is surely a way for those who value the BBC to be the ones to pay for it.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I can well understand your comment that the other terrestrial channels were not providing content you wanted to watch. However, I cannot begin to imagine the type of content that does fire you if the quality of programming the BBC produce (not withstanding dumbed down programmes such as Eastenders and Fame Academy) leaves you cold. Just think of all the period costume dramas, documentaries, natural history, and magazine strands, to mention but a few. As John McEnroe used to say, "You cannot be serious"

:rolleyes:

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I am serious.
    Compare the number of hours of BBC broadcasts I watch for £116 to the number of hours of subscription TV I watch for £396 and the license fee is very poor value for money.
    I have no choice but to pay the BBC tax AKA License fee regardless of how much of the BBC broadcasts I watch and for the record the last BBC program I watched was the FA cup semi final between Man U and Arsenal.
    I will watch Top Gear though when it returns next month:)

No doubt the BBC make some quality programming, I can not deny that but this is TV and it's all about choice and I choose to watch other broadcasters as they meet my requirments.
    If the BBC is so good then give the people the choice, make it subscription or voluntary contributions, after all even the most rabid BBC fan can not seriously claim that they need £2.5 Billion a year to operate as a basic public service broadcaster.

Just for a laugh.........My SKY Planner

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Oh dear Starburst, it's a good job you don't live at our house. Both my wife and I smiled on looking at your Sky+ planner. We have only heard of a couple of your choices - CSI Miami (we prefer Vegas) Fifth Gear, and the Simpsons, of which we have only watched Fifth Gear. Our Sky+ planner is mostly BBC1, 2, 3, and 4. with a good smattering of the Documentary Channels on Sky.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well still waiting for Titsup:spam: to go bump.

Pirates aren't helping yet either - I want to see all Freeview channels for my licence fee.

BTW: I have an ONdodgy CAM