• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Top Up Tv = Waste of money?

D

donkeymagic

I've just ditched Sky to move over to freeview. To keep the kids and the wife happy I also subscribed to TUTV as the channels they watch are Toonami, Boomerang and UKTV Food.

Well, the kids are not happy. Turns out Toonami is only on Sat/Sun between 5am and 9am and Boomerang although on all week finishes at lunchtime! The wife just sat down to watch UKTV Food and that finished at lunchtime as well!

I know I should have looked into it more but coming from Sky I just thought the times these channels air would be the same. Luckily for me I have a PVR so I can record what they want to watch. But I feel I am paying too much at £7.99 a month for a 11 channels, with most only broadcasting for half or less of each day.

Why are the broadcast times so different?

- Thats my rant over with for now -

Starburst

Distinguished Member
DTT has very limited capacity and most of it was allocated to the traditional non-subscription analogue broadcasters.
Some of the capacity was allowed to be used for PAY services but as you see it's all over the place and that means a small selection of channels which are part-time and sharing capacity.

I think for the price TUTV is ridiculous but for many SKY is too expensive (despite the bigger lineup) and they do not have the cable option.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i had TUTV....found the only thing i used it for was UKTV Gold......so figured, £8 a month for one channel, or £50 a month for a good dozen channels that i personally will use, another half dozen that each of my parents use, plus a nice easy to use PVR service......far more value for money :)

MartinImber

As you have all found out TUTV is rubbish please do not encoiurage them - we want more FTA

Digger

Well, at 27p per day, I am not complaining about the cycling coverage on Eurosport during the summer, except it only starts at 13:00 which can be annoying. Luckily because my needs are seasonal, I can unsubscribe for much of the year.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
i see no reason for TUTV. i get channels 1-5. men and motors and film four is on the way. the only thing more i could want is better bitrate, hannibal on 5 last night had aweful compression artifacts :nono:

oh well, im gonna go sky hd when its out anyway :D

Artie Fufkin

I've been a TUTV subscriber since they started [I'm an ex OnDigital customer] and for me it's fine. Not brilliant but for 27p a day I'm happy to get UK Gold, Discovery, Eurosport and Cartoon Network. Sure they're all time share channels which isn't ideal but it fits in with our family's veiwing habits.

However, with Freeview improving it's line up all the time, I might consider ditching TUTV in the future.

Rob

kherm said:
I've been a TUTV subscriber since they started [I'm an ex OnDigital customer] and for me it's fine. Not brilliant but for 27p a day I'm happy to get UK Gold, Discovery, Eurosport and Cartoon Network. Sure they're all time share channels which isn't ideal but it fits in with our family's veiwing habits.

However, with Freeview improving it's line up all the time, I might consider ditching TUTV in the future.

Same here. People slate TUTV, but it works for me.

Kids get cartoon network & boomerang- OK its only during the day, but isn't that when you want it :rolleyes: Evenings- UK gold , discovery, TCM etc. Eurosport is a big plus for me. Again its only at limited times, but most stuff is repeated, so I can set up my PVR (toppy) to record when its available.

Certaily for £7.99 per month I think its good value. Like many others, I'll look into SkyHD once pricing is announced, although who knows when that will be....

Rob.

kishoo

I found the same. I subscribed for 1 month initally and canceled soon after. All i ever watched was TCM and American Chopper !!

Value for money .. I found it poor but for some people they might find it usefull...

Ya pays ya money...

Vote with your Credit card

Kishoo

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom