Top tip for Sony RPTV owners

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by scooby do, Jul 11, 2004.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Spent about half an hour yesterday changing the order of the screen stack on my Sony KP44 PS2. Wow what a difference it has made. I would class it as a must do (also SVM disable is in this catergory). Screen now has zero reflection, and the picture after resetting setting for contrast / brightness / sharpness is out of this world. Top marks to Sony for producing such a good set and top marks to all of us tweakers for making it 50% better than when it left the factory.

2. kmfdm515

kmfdm515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...I'm planning on buying that 65" Sony RPT this fall - care to elaborate for a newbie?

I don't really know what you set - did you set it to any specific value, etc?

Thanks... :)

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Nearly every Sony I see has a protective screen as the first layer of the screen (when viewed from the front) Trouble is despite them telling us it has an anti reflective coating on it we still suffer somewhat from reflections. The mission was to re-stack the 3 pieces of plastic that form the screen. Now my TV has the one that was at the front now at the back moving the other two forward. This has now made the screen totally non reflective (like an LCD monitor). Obviously it is now vulnerable to damage but Toshiba have shipped there RPTV's like this for years so guess it is ok. Obvioulsy when doing this mod you have to ensure no dirt / or fingerprints find there way onto the screen but it is more than worth it if the front screen is only a protective layer

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Scooby.
    How easy was this job to perform, and how long did it take you to complete? Are there any special procedures that you need to adhere to?
    Fancy giving this a go but not really that confident...(i have the same model of TV as you)
    Any help greatly appreciated :)

PS The SVM tip was a master stroke. Really does enhance the overall picture quality by some margin :thumbsup:

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Captain,

Tweak is easy. I prepared a flat surface ie table with some bath towels folded so the screen sat on the towels. Taking the front bezel off is easy. If you done the SVM then you know how to get at the front just undo the screws that hold the control panel on i.e. power button. Memory tells me 4 screws and slide the front out. You will find the power button PCB may catch but gently pull upwards and the whole front will come off. I would then unplug the 5 or so connectors that come out with the front panel (remember to unplug from mains as 240V is present),or rest this on the floor infront of the TV on some cusions at the switch end as the power leads are not that long, if you do it this way then be very careful not to tread on anything in the following steps. Now you need to remove front bezel with the lenses (screen). This is simple just 11 philips screws from the back of the set working at the bottom corner. Once these are out the complete bezel (sony logo)and screens come away from the carcass of the set. You need something in front of the set to rest this on while you remove the leads from the convergence sensors (coffee table or something). I didnt bother re-connecting the convergence sensors as I do not use auto convergence. Now lay this on your prepared flat surface face down............

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Face down is protective screen on the towels. Now undo the philips screws that hold the 4 screen clamps about 3 screws for the sides 5 for the top and bottom. No need to remove the screws from the convergence sensors as they are not screwed to the bezel. Now you can remove the tape that holds the 3 layers together by gently lifting the side you are working on (whilst still sitting in the bezel). Try to keep the tape from sticking to itself so you can re-use.Once both the top and bottom are un-taped lift the whole screen assembly(the 3 perspex layers) onto another clean area whilst trying not to let it bend or sag to much. Place the protective (reflective)one face down to the area you are working on. Now gently separate the 2 layers uppermost from the reflective layer (both together they are not bonded together or anything) and lay these back onto your bezel be careful as they are very flexible when not with the protective layer. The old middle one will now be at the front. Next give the old front layer a good clean and put on top of the other two. Now all 3 are sandwiched together as follows 123 was the original order when viewing the screen fom the front now 231. Ensure no dirt or dust has got its way inbetween any layers and re-tape whilst in the bezel. Next give your mirror a clean using non scratch cloth without any cleaning fluids and give the CRT's a blow over and possibly a VERY GENTLE wipe. Put screen back together and admire your handy work. Should take less than an hour and the results are well worth it. I really wouldn't bother with the wires for the auto convergence unless you use that. Remember if you do use it that you have to registar the new convergence into the auto convergence memory but I harldy get any drift and it is so easy to do anyway not worth bothering with. If it sounds daunting in this post dont worry it really is worth it and I reckon the results are better than the SVM tweak especially during day time viewing. Go ahead and do it and I expect to get a good report back captain.

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Have you got any before and after pics that would show the improvement?

8. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I'll try and sort something out, but if you have access to a normal CRT monitor in a brightly lit office with a TFT by the side look at the reflection you get on the CRT. Now imagine how much reflection you get on a 44 inch screen with the protective screen in place I now get no reflection. It really is a no brainer

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    What's the difference in more detail of the before and after pic quality?

10. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Wayne, think of it this way. There would be absolute zero difference between a modified set and un-modified if viewing conditions were ideal. If you had a room with zero ambient light (only light behind the RPTV)with a modified set & un-modified you would not see a difference but as we are all aware ideal viewing conditions are very hard to get in the real world. This mod gives us the advantage of a non reflective screen in non ideal conditions, obviously you do not get the other advantages of ideal viewing condition ie light behind the screen etc etc but it does stop reflections

11. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey Scooby.

Many thanks for such a quick and informative response!
    I am still a little (ok, a LOT!) daunted by this and will not attempt anything until i feel a little more confident.
    I will let you know when i have given it a go!

Once again, i thank you... :thumbsup:

12. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Captain if you done my SVM trick then I would have classed that a lot more dodgy then this. As long as you dont drop anything then you will be ok and trust me you will be very pleased with the results. Probably the most difficult bit is gtting the screen out whilst the auto convergence sensors are still attached as the wires are probably taped from the inside. A way round this problem is to take the back of the set off ie the peg board type hardboard that is held in by 12 or so screws at the bottom of the set where the scarts plug in. This should enable you to reach in through the back of the set and remove the tape that has been used to lose the slack on the sensor wires. This will then give you a lot more to play with when you take the bezel off. If your are not that confident then allow yourself a couple of hours for the job and you will be fine. A lot of time will be saved if you lose the auto convergence when you put it back together. Confident enough now.

WARNING If you are diving in the back of the set this is where the real dangerous voltages reside even when the set is switched off so remove all jewellery etc and dont go prodding around. But common sense will keep you out of trouble and there is a lot of room in there so it should not be a problem.

13. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks again Scooby.

Sunday it is then! (well, maybe... :eek: )
    I will let you know how i get on.

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Scooby

Just wondering how much dust there was on the mirror and on the lamps, I am tempted to open up my Sony KP-41ds1u to give it a clean (4 years old).

Would you say that the screen would scratch easier after this mod?

Thanks

15. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Tim you will not believe the amount of dust that accumalates inside. Mine is bas after 6 months let alone 4 years! Although I do have pets and also have been doing building work over the last year or so. Screen in theroy is not more likely to be scratched if any thing a bit less likely as it is a matt finish. Although if it did get damaged severly then it is the actual lens rather than the protective screen that will suffer. But I reckon if you needed to get a new protective screen from Sony then you'd probably have to buy the 3 anyway so dosent really make much difference

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thanks Scooby... I guess i will have to clean it out then :eek:

17. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi....

I have a Sony 41" RPTV, 6 years old.

What and how do I remove to access the mirrors for cleaning?

I have had the grill off the front and the MDF board behind that and I can see the 3 guns but no mirrors.

Do I need to take the back off or something?

Thanks.

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Techno

Just finished cleaning my set.
    You have to remove the main back cover on mine to get to the lamps and mirror (just the one).
    The mirror was very clean, just two strands of cobweb running accross it.
    The lamps did have a thin layer of dust on them, but I was quite surprised at how glass like they looked after cleaning. I used anti static cloths to clean the mirror and lamps, I then finished of by giving the lamps a light polish with my camera lense cloth.

Sadly I do not know if there is an improvement as my set is waiting to be repaired, it just switched itself off one day :eek: but just clicks inside when I try to turn it back on, I guess its something to do with the power supply :(

19. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timh,

I think I will have a go at that the next wet weekend we have....( which should'nt be too far away. )

Mine also switches itself off, it has done for years.

About twice a week itself off, then it switches itself straight back on again.

More recently it has started emitting a high pitch tone when you switch it on from cold. Five minutes later it is fine.

I am waiting for the day it switches off and stays off - then I can order a plasma......

Cheers.

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Sadly mine has stayed off since it switched itself off :( Thats Sony for you :mad: