Top Ten New TV Shows of 2020 & Comments

A fine list indeed. Personally would have added ZeroZeroZero in there ... probably even at number one.

I would have also had Industry in there. I do understand however that some people wouldn't even watch either of these such were the shock and violence elements.

A word for The Queens Gambit ..... if anybody had told me that a TV show about Chess would be one of the highlights of the year I would have said they were nuts. A truly fantastic show with a new superstar in the making in Anya Taylor-Joy.

Thank you for the list & giving Tales from the Loop some Love. The fact that they took the story line from the breadcrumbs that the paintings give, AND make it really work, is genius in itself, IMHO.

I struggled to come up with ten on the movie thread, but I can't keep my list below 10 for this.
I almost forgot quite a few of these as they were early on in the year.

1. The Mandalorian
  2. Queen's Gambit
  3. After Life
  4. Better Call Saul
  5. Normal People
  6. Ozark
  7. Sex Education
  8. Dead To Me
  9. The Umbrella Academy
  10. The Boys
  11. Harley Quinn
  12. Truth Seekers
  13. Killing Eve
  14. Upload
  15. Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

Some good shouts there Tom.

Will be embarking on The Queen's Gambit very shortly; and the Mark Ruffalo one I must have missed so will look out for that one too.

I enjoyed The Good Lord Bird, and I think that one disappeared under the radar for many people. Best thing I've seen Hawke do since Training Day.

Glad to see you're also embarking on the Raised By Wolves crusade with Cas and I. Underrated by many I feel.

From 2020:

• The Queens Gambit
  • Caliphate
  • Better Call Saul
  • The Mandalorian s2
  • The Clone Wars s7
  • Unbelievable
  • Servant
  • Defending Jacob
  • The Witcher

That's about it I think. Star Trek Discovery s3 has been very patchy if not downright awful. Tiger King was also interesting in parts.

I think my decision on embarking on the Star Trek Discovery has been made. And that is I won't be boarding.

Toyed for a long time with just getting going with Season 1, but really doesn't sound like it's worth the time. I think I can let this Star Trek incarnation go.

Queens Gambit for me was a real surprise. Was indifferent to watching it but I knew the wife was interested but genuinely absolutely loved it. Great story and great acting (Dudley Dursley hiding in plain sight putting in a great stint).

Raised by Wolves I'm also enjoying (4 episodes in) but oh my is it wrist slittingly bleak. Undoubtedly good but I really need to be in the mood for it especially considering current climate. Worth watching for certain but need to make sure there's no sharp implements near.

The Boys is a shocking omission. One of the best series of the year for me hands down. Just incredibly well done dark humour and brilliantly written and acted. Worth a top ten spot just for Butchers swearing alone.

I also enjoyed Truth Seekers ( @Roohster mentioned it above ) for different reasons. It was a real throwback to "traditional" UK series without any of the glitz or glamour associated with the huge budget Netflix/US series. Low budget, VERY British, simple and gentle. It was a great 30 min filler with nothing flashy or clever. I don't think I'd put it in any top 10 but it's worth a watch accepting it for what it is.

Another @Roohster mention was Dead to Me. Christina Applegate is great in this and for me might have just sneaked into my top 10 too. Disappointing that it was cancelled already but still enjoyed it.

I fail to get on the Mandalorian hype train though. Good, certainly, great possibly but number 1 I'm not so sure. I certainly enjoyed it but I actually enjoyed The Boys more. It's high production values and some good acting help it a lot but it was hardly flawless and had more plot holes and plot armour than you can shake a stick at. It's Disney, I get it but for me it was great rather then exceptional. Worthy of top 5 for certain but that's about it.

G

I'd definitely add 'The Boys' to that list. Best series I've watched in years...
The Boys is a shocking omission. One of the best series of the year for me hands down. Just incredibly well done dark humour and brilliantly written and acted. Worth a top ten spot just for Butchers swearing alone.

It is good, but this list is strictly limited to new TV, i.e. first seasons and limited series!

Pretty much agree with the list and definitely Mando at number one.
The final episode of season 2 is the best TV I have watched in years.......it is just WOW!

The boys only 2 seasons same as Mando unless something i missed out on????

I think its because Mando S1 was actually in 2020 too ... ie both S1 an S2 in 2020.
Screenshot 2021-01-01 142419.png

I think someone didn't do there research when doing the artical, unless your going with UK release but then how many members here waited till March

I think someone didn't do there research when doing the artical, unless your going with UK release but then how many members here waited till March
So kind of you to say.
And yes, it was based on UK release, as was the movies top 10.
From the article:
As UK subscribers we were in the fortunate position of getting two seasons in the same year.
And yes, I waited until March.

Then I stand corrected on The Boys as it was the second series.

In that case where is Tiger King which I missed in my first reply? If nothing else it was utterly compelling car crash TV expertly crafted to raise the "it can't get worse - omfg it can" stakes every episode. Certainly not high art but definitely great TV.

G

Best shows I've seen this year have been from rewatching the sopranos, breaking bad and the wire.plus zerozerozero.

Started a lot of the shows in this list but got bored after a couple episodes.

Either that or someone didn't read the article they immediately jumped on their keyboard to criticise the accuracy of.

Either that or someone didn't read the article they immediately jumped on their keyboard to criticise the accuracy of.
I dont see anything in the artical stating UK release

I dont see anything in the artical stating UK release

1609514958071.png

"Even better, as UK subscribers were in the fortunate position of getting two seasons in the same year"

Aside from the fact that it's a UK article written on a UK site featuring TV shows on UK streaming providers... and you're from the UK. You're right, it would have been more obvious to assume we were doing a US list... o_O

View attachment 1433129

"Even better, as UK subscribers were in the fortunate position of getting two seasons in the same year"

Aside from the fact that it's a UK article written on a UK site featuring TV shows on UK streaming providers... and you're from the UK. You're right, it would have been more obvious to assume we were doing a US list... o_O
So you don't review any disc's that are import on this site?? and every member here never talks about imported films? and why is it every now and again i see American advertisers are displayed? and nothing about UK here
Screenshot 2021-01-01 153600.png

View attachment 1433129

Aside that's its a UK article written on a UK site and we are both from the UK here the is the season 1 review from you in November ;)
Screenshot 2021-01-01 154944.png

Aside that's its a UK article written on a UK site and we are both from the UK here the is the season 1 review from you in November ;)View attachment 1433136
Before we steer back to the topic at hand, I'll say my final piece on the matter:

For me, and for UK watchers in general, it was all this year. Everyone at AVForums has loved it and it was worth talking about. I'll take a criticism that The Mandalorian was a minor cheat if we're looking from a global perspective. I don't mind that. It's not especially important either way. It's a list on the internet about good TV.

However, to say that we're not doing our research is possibly not the coolest take and one that's not really borne out in the way the piece is written.

So let's keep the disagreements on a subjective level about the shows themselves and not ad hominem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom