Top Ten New TV Shows of 2020 & Comments

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Maybe the research part was a little harsh,but then again you have accepted that the Mando was a minor cheat....so does that mean its a void :rotfl::rotfl:

Mandalorian was fun but hugely over rated

The Witcher was fun

never saw anything else on that list..

Best TV show/series by a Mile was 'The Last Dance' on Netflix

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Thoroughly enjoying raised by wolves Devs was just a pretentious steaming pile of sh!t
If there is something I'm learning in the responses to these listicles it's that I like a lot of things other people consider to be pretentious rubbish.

What does that say about m-DON'T ANSWER THAT!

Roohster

Distinguished Member
It is good, but this list is strictly limited to new TV, i.e. first seasons and limited series!

Ah I didn't see that bit. but even if I had I've had ignored it. Good telly is good telly regardless of whether it's a second or third (etc) series and it's good to talk about shows some might have missed.

VGzilla

Yes, I'm a lover of science-fiction (and sometimes I don't take precautions) so 2020 scratched my itch in many of the right places, particularly Netflix's Sweet Home. Terrifying, sexy, a visual overload that kept me saying "I can't believe I just saw that".

Kingchin

Best TV show/series by a Mile was 'The Last Dance' on Netflix
That's a documentary docuseries (no acting) so doesn't qualify as the article says "new tv shows". I haven't watched it yet but will at some point as I've always liked Michael Jordan even though i'm not a big basketball fan.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The Third Day was great until the final episode, which was absolutely dire. The writer had no clue how to finish it appropriately and in fitting with what had preceded it. That's one of the disappointments of the year for me - should a thread like that get started!

Fatsam47

Novice Member
Some good shows in the list. Really enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit and Lovecraft Country, both original and interesting. Not sure about Raised by Wolves, though I love Sci-fi (nothing measures up to The Expanse at present). I can’t get onboard with the hype around The Mandalorian. Yes, it looks good.......but it’s so lacking in tension or excitement. A main character who speaks in a monotone and always sounds bored stiff doesn’t help.

JH4

That 12 hour Jude Law "Third Day" showing tops it for me, mainly because it was live, dangerous and real. All the rest was just acting. Not sure how many watched it all the way through, though. Probably not many.. I'm guessing it won't be repeated either, which is a real shame. I would pay for a 4K disc, even though I have it on my Sky box. ( BTW, He most definitely was NOT alone, as you mentioned.. )

Last edited:
That's a documentary docuseries (no acting) so doesn't qualify as the article says "new tv shows". I haven't watched it yet but will at some point as I've always liked Michael Jordan even though i'm not a big basketball fan.
There was a load of acting trust me ;)

JH4

The Third Day was great until the final episode, which was absolutely dire. The writer had no clue how to finish it appropriately and in fitting with what had preceded it. That's one of the disappointments of the year for me - should a thread like that get started!
You needed to have seen the live 12 hour broadcast, to change your mind, I think...!

Kingchin

There was a load of acting trust me ;)
I have watched the trailer and looked up ESPN/Netflix The Last Dance and nowhere does it show or say there is acting in it.
PicsArt_01-01-08.06.39.jpg

PicsArt_01-01-08.03.15.jpg

And even just skipped through a few episodes justnow as you claim there's loads of acting in it. There isn't any acting in it, you must of had one too many brandys while watching it during the festive holidays haha 🤪 It's a documentary series 👍🏾 the only acting is from the basketball player's 🏀 trying to win fouls 😂

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
You needed to have seen the live 12 hour broadcast, to change your mind, I think...!

Appreciated, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole after seeing the finale. And glad I never wasting 12 hours watching it before I even got to the finale!

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Appreciated, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole after seeing the finale. And glad I never wasting 12 hours watching it before I even got to the finale!
It's interesting. It's an achievement. It has artistic merit.
Was it good?
Uhhhhhhhh.... I mean.... Not definitely?

richp007

Distinguished Member
It's interesting. It's an achievement. It has artistic merit.
Was it good?
Uhhhhhhhh.... I mean.... Not definitely?

Not quite sure where you're leaning, but 12 hours to me is basically an entire season of television. And regardless of how good that may have been, ultimately it wouldn't have changed my opinion of the finale. As incidentally pretty much everything that was wrong with the finale was also not to do with Jude Law.

I always appreciate artistic merit and the pushing of boundaries, but similarly to Tenet it doesn't always make the end product worthwhile.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Great top ten - and not heard of some of these shows, so will be adding them to my watch list. Some are queued up already! Although not so convinced about the Jude Law one.

I really couldn't get on with Queen's Gambit, but I'm going to give it another try, as I think that's more likely my problem than the series. I used to play a lot of chess (not that that matters), so that was what piqued my interest.

Would also give a massive shout out to Last Dance if it's eligible, and I'm not even a basketball fan. It's like another Hoop Dreams in that sports is the vehicle to tall about something greater than just the game itself. I found it astonishing. It's about the pursuit of excellence and the will to win, to be the best no matter what, and inspire those around you to the same lofty heights.

While Michael Jordan had undeniable physical attributes as an athlete, it was really his mental fortitude that is front and centre in the series. I've no doubt this gave him a power and an aura on the court - and I don't even mind a little arrogance to go with it, if you can call it that. Is it even arrogance if you are actually the best in the world? Perhaps just incredible self-belief.

Watching the Bulls with the full story of each season is riveting.

GT One

2020 has been a TV show overload for me, generally I don't analyse content for its artistic merit or well written socio-political commentary only just how well it entertained without putting me to sleep, so I shall present my own category of new releases that had me drifting off to sleep this year.
In no particular order these shows are: The New Pope; Hollywood; Devs (I must have been particularily tired those days); Space Force; Witcher; The Flight Attendant; The undoing; Away (an excellent show for insomniacs); Swamp Thing; Messiah; Emily in Paris; The Dark Tower; Cursed.
There were numerous other new releases not as high profile as the above that could get honorary mention, they also include second and third season series.
In case you think I'm being unfair it has been a tiring year.
I look forward to 2021, there are some promising new releases announced for the coming year.
Happy New Year.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
2020 has been a TV show overload for me, generally I don't analyse content for its artistic merit or well written socio-political commentary only just how well it entertained without putting me to sleep, so I shall present my own category of new releases that had me drifting off to sleep this year.
In no particular order these shows are: The New Pope; Hollywood; Devs (I must have been particularily tired those days); Space Force; Witcher; The Flight Attendant; The undoing; Away (an excellent show for insomniacs); Swamp Thing; Messiah; Emily in Paris; The Dark Tower; Cursed.
There were numerous other new releases not as high profile as the above that could get honorary mention, they also include second and third season series.
In case you think I'm being unfair it has been a tiring year.
I look forward to 2021, there are some promising new releases announced for the coming year.
Happy New Year.
Swamp Thing was such a bummer.
Episode one had me hooked. Completely. And then they just whizzed it all away.

Garrett

Swamp Thing was such a bummer.
Episode one had me hooked. Completely. And then they just whizzed it all away.
Only bummer for me was it was canceled and though out it run got 8 and above on IMDB
Heck it got canceled from the house of bad decisions so must have been good coming from the same company as having a second season Batwoman.:laugh:

JH4

Not quite sure where you're leaning, but 12 hours to me is basically an entire season of television. And regardless of how good that may have been, ultimately it wouldn't have changed my opinion of the finale. As incidentally pretty much everything that was wrong with the finale was also not to do with Jude Law.

I always appreciate artistic merit and the pushing of boundaries, but similarly to Tenet it doesn't always make the end product worthwhile.
I'm guessing you didn't see it then ?

pressure

Best series this year for me:
Ted Lasso.

Big missing show from AVF’s watchlists.

QueensGambit was my surprise of the year. Thought it would be “difficult” and some of it was but it turned out to be fun, beautiful and clever as well as being affecting.

Bonus mention for Giri Haji which just missed out because it came out towards the end of 2019 and was amazing. Also bonus mention for series 3 of Dark, which was epic.

JH4

.. which all goes to show that there are as many different views as to what was the best TV, as there are Dudes on this forum. Yey ! Happy New year to you all, and happy viewing, too !

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett