Top Ten Games of 2021

No Ratchet? 😳

I’ve seen Deathloop win awards left right and centre, but personally feel it wouldn’t be anywhere near them if anything of note was released this year.

Despite Covid it's been a great year for games. My personal favourites were Psychonauts 2 and It Takes Two, which are genuinely two of the most original, creative, and relentlessly entertaining games in years. Both will I think enter the pantheon of all time greats.

Been a very underwhelming year but I need to try Guardians as it seems to have surprised everyone.

Horizon 5 is so buggy, you should be embarrassed you put it on the list.

An absolutely fantastic list and I've played all but a few. It's been a great year for games considering what's been happening and how studios have been affected.
I also just wanted to give a big thumbs up to gamepass. It's saved me so much money and I've played and will play so many games I never would have. Can't wait for deathloop soon.
Happy 2022 everyone!

As a PC gamer these days I personally have enjoyed:

New World - Amazon's MMORPG has provided a change of pace for me and my normal preference for FPS. Great with mates.

I also continue to play 2020's Valorant which remains my most played game of the year.

My favorites this year are Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Halo Infinite.

I only played Guardians of the Galaxy up until the 10th Chapter. It was very good.

Very poor year for games overall. Resident Evil Village probably my favourite. And I've probably spent the most time in the GTA Trilogy.

Very poor year for games overall. Resident Evil Village probably my favourite. And I've probably spent the most time in the GTA Trilogy.
I'm genuinely amazed that anyone can say that this was poor year for games. Psychonauts 2 and It Takes Two are unbelievably good, two of the best games in many, many years. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Psychonauts 2 ended up being the best game this generation. It's that good.

I'm genuinely amazed that anyone can say that this was poor year for games. Psychonauts 2 and It Takes Two are unbelievably good, two of the best games in many, many years. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Psychonauts 2 ended up being the best game this generation. It's that good.

Platformers aren't for me so I wouldn't even notice them.

As I've got older and game time is limited what I look for is a good, engaging story that I can drop in and out of an hour or so at a time.

Which is why I enjoyed RE8. I've bought my little girl a Switch for Christmas as an introduction to gaming, so I am sure I'll have a more open view over the next few years.

What a dreadful year for gaming - it’s not ‘Top 10 Games’, it’s simply ‘10 Games Worth Mentioning’ as the rest were just completely unremarkable, save for Ratchet. Deathloop, Returnal are glorified indie games, both flopped sales-wise and would never be near any awards in ‘good old times’, Halo looks and plays like it‘s late X360 days, others are neat indies and nothing more.

Ratchet, Village and Guardians are the only ‘big’ games worthy of 8/10 - and that’s on across all platforms over a year. Sad times.

Last edited:
Platformers aren't for me so I wouldn't even notice them.

As I've got older and game time is limited what I look for is a good, engaging story that I can drop in and out of an hour or so at a time.

Which is why I enjoyed RE8. I've bought my little girl a Switch for Christmas as an introduction to gaming, so I am sure I'll have a more open view over the next few years.
The storyline in Psychonauts 2 has some of the most creative, humorous, and inventive writing I've ever seen in a video game.

If it was an animated movie it would be in the running with the best of Pixar.

Honestly I believe that Psychonauts 2 is one of the best video games ever created. It's genuinely a masterpiece.

I’ve only played Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite and Ghost of Tsushima (does the Director’s Cut count as a 2021 game?)for any real length this year. All 3 were/are great imo. My game backlog is almost as big as my film/TV one. After a few years away from PlayStation and having got a PS5 on release data, I’ve still got a tonne of older stuff to play like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us part 2…

Good to see some appreciation for Psychonauts 2. It's 10x the game the exceptionally bland and forgettable Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is.

I've not played that many modern games to be honest as I tend more to collect and play retro stuff, but i've played a few good games this year and they would be:

• Metroid Dread - really enjoyed this one and the gameplay mechanic was outstanding.
  • Halo Infinite - Superb game! Takes Halo open world, whilst retaining all of the amazing gunplay mechanics that the series is famed for. Only downside is that it sometimes falls into the 'cookie cutter" open world issue, where taking one FOB or Maintenance base seems much the same as the last.
  • Forza Horizon 5 - Haven't come across too many bugs and the good that is here is amazing. Visually, sonically and gameplay wise, this is outstanding entry into the series.
  • Ratchet & Clank - Amazing game. Looks stunning and plays even better. The great sense of humour hooks it all together. I really enjoyed this one.

I've read and heard a lot of praise for Psychonauts 2, so will have to give that a go.

On PS5 I really enjoyed and completed...

It Takes Two
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
RE8 Village

Returnal
Got over half way but then shelved it, i will go back at some point.

I'm pretty new to MMO's but totally addicted addicted especially with all the different systems it uses, already put loads of hours into this and still only on level 18 so not done any real grindy stuff yet but sure it will come in the later levels but do already feel like I've had my moneys worth anyway so its been a win/win for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom