Top Ten Blu-rays (UK) for November 2021

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I’ve been reading The Fantastic Mr Fox to my daughter over the last few nights, yet to watch the film, looks like a nice weekend treat !
The Thin Red Line, my criterion US edition is getting tired waiting for it’s UHD sibling, hopefully 2022!

Jessica Noir

I still struggle to process that a mainstream commercial film, created by hundreds of crew members, with the script having gone through draft after draft and script editors still has a character who is referred to as 'the in-and-out bandit'. Proof that Hollywood should start asking 'does this sound like a homophobic slur from a '90s British school playground?' before proceeding.

Tim2049

I still struggle to process that a mainstream commercial film, created by hundreds of crew members, with the script having gone through draft after draft and script editors still has a character who is referred to as 'the in-and-out bandit'. Proof that Hollywood should start asking 'does this sound like a homophobic slur from a '90s British school playground?' before proceeding.

Just because that phrase registers as an innuendo in your mind doesn't mean it shouldn't be used. I assume your point is that it's offensive.

Curious as to who that would actually offend. Leisurely paced robbers...(?)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Agree about The Thin Red Line but I would have been harsher! You could have some here whinging about that mind... ;)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Competitions added for:

Vestron Series Collector's Edition November Titles
Criterion November titles
Honest Thief
The Courier

Dorian

An unintended euphemism that made me chuckle but no idea why it's homophobic. Isn't it just generic?

I agree with your point though that it's incredible that it made it past so many people. Have none of them seen Clockwork Orange!?

Jessica Noir

An unintended euphemism that made me chuckle but no idea why it's homophobic. Isn't it just generic?

I agree with your point though that it's incredible that it made it past so many people. Have none of them seen Clockwork Orange!?
I’m still laughing at just imagining the scene where a deadly serious FBI agent sees Liam Neeson’s face picture on CCTV and says “Look! It’s the In-and-Out bandit!”.🤣

Maybe it was an Edinburgh thing, but bandit was short for ‘a**e bandit’ in my neck of the woods.

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
So.......who's picking any of these titles up?

Anyone agree with me on Cinematic Vengeance? Or am I being too grumpy about the price point of Mill of the Stone Women and marking it down? Did anything think Honest Thief is an undiscovered masterpiece, awaiting rediscovery? And does anyone actually like The Thin Red Line or were you all lying to pretend to look smart and cool? Like I did........:confused:

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Your summary of The Thin Red Line was the 'nice' version of what I would have said basically Coz. And people actually put this film in the top 10 war films of all time... :rolleyes:

They should have got David Attenborough in to do a commentary track... ;)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Yeah, easily one of my favourite war films of all time, easily trumps SPR, and possibly my favourite Malick too. I get the divisiveness of Tree of Life (which was personally very affecting for me, but certainly I understand why it's not for everybody) and his next barrage of almost annual movies were basically consistently indulgent mood pieces which had precious little to say and wasted all-star casts. But Thin Red Line is an absolute masterpiece for me.

From the films I haven't seen out of this list it's Full Alert which has got my attention, having recently rediscovered some love for East Asian crime thrillers with Donnie Yen's Raging Fire. And maybe also FFC's Dementia.

Still not quite sure why Criterion UK haven't jumped on 4K yet (after all, Sony have) and feel a bit aggrieved that I might have to start this cycle of importing Criterions again as is what happened with their BD releases back in the day. C'mon already!

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
Interesting @Casimir Harlow............TTRL better than Badlands you say? Better than Days of Heaven you say? Hmmmmm. I haven't got on with a Malick film since TTRL and even that was touch and go.

Can't wait to hear about Raging Fire Mr H. And yeah, you'll love Full Alert.

Re: Criterion's 4K - I hope they don't follow Arrow's model of reissuing really good 1080p blu's on 4K using the same remaster and same set of extras. I'd just love Criterion to begin by releasing their new releases on 4K.....but sadly that ain't happening is it? Boo......

Dorian

Saw Badlands many years ago on Alex Cox's Moviedrome (what a show that was) and liked it a lot. Tried to watch Thin Red Line when it came out, in my mid-twenties, and just couldn't cope with it at all. Maybe worth another try. Certainly got the time on my hands these days :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom