Top Ten 4K Blu-ray Discs of 2020 & Comments

Kingchin

Coming To America 4k blu ray has a slightly better transfer picture quality than Beverly Hills Cop 4k blu ray. Both classics and a pity Trading Places never got a 4k blu ray and only a remastered blu ray.

LeMans 66 was probably my favourite 4k blu ray of 2020, good film good picture and excellent sound quality. Tremors would be my second favourite 4k blu ray of 2020. A cult classic fun feel good b movie popcorn film with a excellent 4k remastered picture and remastered sound.

Can't argue with Jaws at number one though 🦈 I would of bought the 4k blu ray if I didn't already have the remastered blu ray that used the same 4k scan.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Yes, I'm not bias but its Jaws for me. :D I was very very happy with all the Star Wars discs too. Would love to see the Indy Trilogy turn up in 2021.

Gotta say I was a bit miffed with the Star Wars movies. Ep 4 was ok but 5/6 were real hit and miss.

If there was a top 20 of disappointments, Star Wars would be right up there (if only because my expectations were so high (maybe too high).

If the movies were not in the hands of the Evil Empire (Disney), i’d have been fairly hopeful of proper remastered releases in the not too distant future.

Can't argue with Jaws at number one though 🦈 I would of bought the 4k blu ray if I didn't already have the remastered blu ray that used the same 4k scan.

Been a while since i’ve seen the vanilla Blu but i reckon the 4K trounces it. Well worth the double dip.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Gotta say I was a bit miffed with the Star Wars movies. Ep 4 was ok but 5/6 were real hit and miss.

If there was a top 20 of disappointments, Star Wars would be right up there (if only because my expectations were so high (maybe too high).

If the movies were not in the hands of the Evil Empire (Disney), i’d have been fairly hopeful of proper remastered releases in the not too distant future.

Been a while since i’ve seen the vanilla Blu but i reckon the 4K trounces it. Well worth the double dip.
I think you've mentioned the wrong Star Wars films? ;)

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Nope. There’s only Ep 4/5/6 in my Star Wars world.:D

Oh and R1 too, which looks lush.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
War of the Worlds is worthy also. Stunning disc

Kingchin

It's going to be very expensive to replace all my favourite dvds/blu rays with 4k blu rays 💷 😭😂 Though I won't upgrade ones if they get a crap not worthwhile transfer like Terminator 2 got.

Maybe upgrade Jaws next year when Spielberg's Indiana Jones films comes to 4k blu ray. Only Spielberg movies I've got currently on 4k blu ray is War Of The Worlds and Saving Private Ryan. Talking of war I wish Band Of Brothers miniseries was on 4k blu ray too.

almightygoodgod

Jaws is my favourite movie and it’s a brilliant 4k disc, just waiting on my second favourite Lawrence of Arabia and then they can do Zulu, wish list complete.
I watched the Lawrence of Arabia 4k disc a few weeks ago and it really is yet another example of how good films that are well over half a century old can look. The desert scenes (and there are a lot!) look absolutely stunning.

UMAR 3:16

I watched the Lawrence of Arabia 4k disc a few weeks ago and it really is yet another example of how good films that are well over half a century old can look. The desert scenes (and there are a lot!) look absolutely stunning.
Still haven’t seen this movie. I want to watch it in 4K so I’m holding out now

THX1138UK

JAWS, Le Man '66, 1917, Joker, Flash Gordon, LOTR and Tenet have all been phenomenal UHD discs.

They all look the very best they possible can.

Kingchin

JAWS, Le Man '66, 1917, Joker, Flash Gordon, LOTR and Tenet have all been phenomenal UHD discs.

They all look the very best they possible can.
LOTR 4k blu ray uses the same ancient 2k master that was used for the old blu rays. Plus it has artificial digital noise reduction and artificial edge enhancement used throughout the whole 3 film's. It definitely doesn't look anywhere near the best it possible can -
PicsArt_12-27-10.50.13.jpg

PicsArt_12-31-02.04.17.jpg

PicsArt_12-31-02.07.02.jpg

PicsArt_12-31-02.07.58.jpg

PicsArt_12-31-02.08.23.jpg

If the LOTR trilogy 4k blu rays had a actual 4k scan from the original film negatives. Plus no digital noise reduction or edge enhancement used then yes it would look as good as it possibly could. With little complaints from anyone instead of the backlash Warner Bros and Jackson are currently getting.

I still bought the LOTR trilogy 4k blu ray boxset as it's my favourite fantasy film's. The Dolby Vision HDR and the colour grading is good but sugar coating Peter Jackson screwed the fan's! A 4k scan of the original film negatives should of been a certainty. Plus without any digital noise reduction and edge enhancement used. I'm bemused Warner Bros gave Jackson full control over the 4k blu rays transfers.

Rant over Happy Hogmanay to everyone once it comes 🎊

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
LOTR 4k blu ray uses the same ancient 2k master that was used for the old blu rays. Plus it has artificial digital noise reduction and artificial edge enhancement used throughout the whole 3 film's. It definitely doesn't look anywhere near the best it possible can -
View attachment 1432386
View attachment 1432393
View attachment 1432394
View attachment 1432395
View attachment 1432396
If the LOTR trilogy 4k blu rays had a actual 4k scan from the original film negatives. Plus no digital noise reduction or edge enhancement used then yes it would look as good as it possibly could. With little complaints from anyone instead of the backlash Warner Bros and Jackson are currently getting.

I still bought the LOTR trilogy 4k blu ray boxset as it's my favourite fantasy film's. The Dolby Vision HDR and the colour grading is good but sugar coating Peter Jackson screwed the fan's! A 4k scan of the original film negatives should of been a certainty. Plus without any digital noise reduction and edge enhancement used. I'm bemused Warner Bros gave Jackson full control over the 4k blu rays transfers.

Rant over Happy Hogmanay to everyone once it comes 🎊
Haggis and Bridies at the ready.

jockychan

As for the best looking disc i watched this year Mulan top's the list for me. I saw all on this list very good list tho

stevos

Distinguished Member
Some great picks there, la mane 66 reminds me just how long this year has been, felt like a couple of years ago.

Not sure if Dark Knight trilogy was this year or late, i got it right at the start of this year.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Spartacus is just sublime. Watched it tonight again, and it’s amazing what they did to this classic

Will I Aint

I could not get on with Top Gun, felt dated and hackneyed. Apologies but I've not got an ounce of nostalgia for that film whatsoever. Some films belong in the decade they were created.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I could not get on with Top Gun, felt dated and hackneyed. Apologies but I've not got an ounce of nostalgia for that film whatsoever. Some films belong in the decade they were created.

Did you not enjoy it on release ?

Will I Aint

Did you not enjoy it on release ?
I did and I still love the soundtrack, just watching it back it felt very dated to me. I guess I can't help comparing the film by today's standards, I hope the sequel is good though and not another recruitment campaign for the USAF.

W90WBA

Apart from the Joker there‘s not a single film here I would consider must haves.
Any reason you wouldn’t have 1917? Everywhere I’ve read and watched on youtube this seems to be a highly rated UHD?

Rob20

Any reason you wouldn’t have 1917? Everywhere I’ve read and watched on youtube this seems to be a highly rated UHD?
Sorry. You’re right. Was too busy looking at older titles like Jaws and Beverly Hills cop. Films that I’ve seen too many times already. I’d much rather see new films these days as there is just so much content out there. Family shares SKY, NETFLIX, APPLE TV+, Prime, Disney+ & BT SPORT. Not to forget too much time spent on YouTube.

Rob20

The other thing is that although I loved replacing my vhs and building a dvd collection, I felt mainly deja vu when I started to replace my dvds for Blu-Ray. The improved sound and picture obviously can’t change the fact I’d already watched films like Star wars multiple times on tv, vhs and DVD. I didn’t feel it was worth the expense. So even less for UHD.

Jon P

Somehow whiplash had past me by....thanks to the list I caught it on sky and really enjoyed it. Perhaps might be worth getting the 4K disk at some pint.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett