Top Ten 4K Blu-ray Box Sets of 2020 & Comments

Thanks for the List Simon. In terms of "Look", that Elephant Man Box set looks extremely special:

Now that’s what I’m talking. 1 and 2 in their rightful place

I really enjoyed the Columbia set (lovely set too), looking forward to their next collection.
Hitchcock was also fantastic.
LotR still to make time for it over the next few weeks.

It’s been a decent year for our much loved format, will need to check the forums to see what delights are coming this year

Box Sets to me means a collection of movies, therefore the first 5 are irrelevant. But I guess someone somewhere will watch all the dics in the set and frame all the pictures and posters and put them up on the walls!

No place for Dawn Of The Dead? I don't own it but it sounds great (and at least it has a few "different" films in it to qualify as a boxset...! :) ).

I'm upgrading our home theater for the next month or so and have 4K LOTR and Top Gun waiting in the wings as my first rewards for all the hard work and disruption. Also, "Tremors is a perfect movie", how great is that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has watched the BTTF trilogy more times that I can remember (my favourite films ever) accross all formats this version had me grinning ear to ear, sound and picture are superb, I was in heven.
As for LOTR, I have not watched them since the DVD's were released. Might be time to revist them.

As someone who has watched the BTTF trilogy more times that I can remember (my favourite films ever) accross all formats this version had me grinning ear to ear, sound and picture are superb, I was in heven.
As for LOTR, I have not watched them since the DVD's were released. Might be time to revist them.
I watched the 4k BTTF movies with my 5 year old over the three days following Christmas and he is now obsessed with them.
The only issue is that we had to have a conversation along the lines of "I was born in 2015...is that what it was like?"
"Oh...well...um...days of future past and all..."

So much boxset awesomeness in that rundown. Thoroughly good read. Just finished watching the LOTR UHDs and really enjoyed the 9 hours or so revisiting Middle Earth for my annual Christmas pilgrimage. Also nice to see the Tremors boxset in there. Absolutely brilliant restoration of arguably the finest balanced horror/comedy ever made.

Nice to see. Does anyone know if they will make a lesthal weapon 4k disc set? Would love to see that!

I remember being wowed by LOTR at the cinema and DVD but then was horrified that the BD was so clear that the CGI looked horrendous (IMO). Please tell me the 4K has resolved the CGI, I really want to revive that magic for my kids.

I remember being wowed by LOTR at the cinema and DVD but then was horrified that the BD was so clear that the CGI looked horrendous (IMO). Please tell me the 4K has resolved the CGI, I really want to revive that magic for my kids.

no, it hasn’t been touched.

Yeah, while the CGI is not "improved" the compositing has very clearly been touched up. It's certainly a huge improvement over the blu.

The dawn of the dead 4k boxset is my favourite of 2020-Not cheap at £80 but to me worth every penny.

2AF00F57-32BC-470E-8C4D-BA27FF3C0872.jpeg

As much as I love the Dawn set, this turned out rather special and may just pip it as my 4K set of the year.......agree with every word of the glowing review below:

Last edited:
As great as they are, I'm not sure why The Ladykillers, The Elephant Man, Total Recall, Tremors and Flash Gordon are on this list - they are not boxsets.

We watched all three Hobbits in blu upscaled to Dolby Vision followed by LOTR on DVD :) over Christmas.. the DTS ES 6.1(?) sound upscaled to the heights was rather good. PQ a bit ropey but you soon forget about it and drawn into the movie. Will upgrade to 4K at some point!

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised reading all these raving reviews about the LOTR 4K transfers. Sure, the Dolby Atmos mixes are brilliant, the HDR treatment is quite good, so is the color grading most of the time (except some radically regraded shots). But detail wise, it ranges from merely good to downright atrocious. DNR is rampant in many of the shots, making it look passable at best and horribly processed at worst. There are some shots that are just laughable (yes, I mean the Eowyn shot). The Blu-rays look much more filmic. I get it that not everyone bothered equally by these kind of issues, but that in basically every high profile review it's not even mentioned, even claiming 'filmic' image? Wow. Even just few years ago transfers got marked down for far less problems than what is present here. Maybe streaming 'quality' slowly poisoning the perception of a good looking image. Just IMO of course.

LOTR and BTTF at 1 & 2 ???
These really weren't great transfers - isn't that what this format is about - and on an AV forum of all places ?
LOTR stunning native 4K pictures ? ... errrrrrrr
Far more deserving sets on that list should be at the top.

I'm quite surprised reading all these raving reviews about the LOTR 4K transfers. Sure, the Dolby Atmos mixes are brilliant, the HDR treatment is quite good, so is the color grading most of the time (except some radically regraded shots). But detail wise, it ranges from merely good to downright atrocious. DNR is rampant in many of the shots, making it look passable at best and horribly processed at worst. There are some shots that are just laughable (yes, I mean the Eowyn shot). The Blu-rays look much more filmic. I get it that not everyone bothered equally by these kind of issues, but that in basically every high profile review it's not even mentioned, even claiming 'filmic' image? Wow. Even just few years ago transfers got marked down for far less problems than what is present here. Maybe streaming 'quality' slowly poisoning the perception of a good looking image. Just IMO of course.

I've not seen the discs myself, but you're not the only one. Below is just one of many examples...

LOL and the Infinity Saga is nowhere on the list? Who compiled this? Total farce.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom