Quantcast

Top soundcard for HTPC?

Looking to upgrade my ageing and frankly dissappointing SB Audigy in my HTPC.

Can somebody recommend me some great card in the £100-200 price range.

Also would appreciate any links to vendors of this cards.

Cheers,
Ant

gingercat

If the card is for a HTPC, surely you don't really need an expensive one - just one with an SP-DIF output - the card itself doesn't actually have to do much work.

CrispyXUK

I had a Revo 7.1 which was a good, now running an Audiophile 24/96 which is even better

C

Cameron

if you spend another £100 and go to £300 you can get a RME9632. To me it seems at lest as good as my DV88+ - though with some through testing I expect it will come out on top by a long way.

CaM

benje

audiotrak prodigy maybe? seems quite a big thing over at avsforum atm..

based on the envy ht24 chip - has coax in and out, 7.1 analogue connections, asio drivers and all for about £100 atm

alexs2

Have the Audiotrak prodigy 192 here.....I'm using it mainly as a good quality SP/DIF out,but it's sound quality isn't bad...not as good as a good external DAC though.....

In the upper price levels,the RME and the Lynx are highly recommended.

G

Gazebo2

Another vote for RME soundcards here if you want analogue outputs. If the 9632 is a little out of your price range at around £300-350, the older DIGI 96/8 PAD is available for just over £200 (less than £200 if you import from Germany)

I have experience of both cards and the sound difference is small - the quality of both cards is astonishing.

The only problem with the PAD is that the output is balanced (professional) so that you will need the advice of a competent hi-fi dealer to get a properly configured cable to connect to unbalanced (consumer) amplifiers. Otherwise look around for second hand DIGI 96/8 PST cards (with consumer unbalanced outputs). I picked one up for £100 a few weeks ago

:cool:

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

After doing a little research, the RME 9632 seems like a very good card and I think its in my interests to wait a while longer and go for this card.

I do have a question though.

Does the 9632 have 5.1 analogue outputs, ie. the card will decode DD, DTS etc. I would prefer this solution as I'm wanting to make my HTPC into a pre/pro combination and do away with my Lexicon MC1.

Madders

I have used the RME Digi96/9 PAD but now use a Lynx Two B. With the new Lynx WDM drivers recently released I find the sound far superior in both S/PDIF and analogue configurations to the RME. Best of all, due to the $ exchange rate recently, I was able to buy from the US and have it Fed Ex'd to my door for less than £500!!

Cheers,

Steve