Top signal strength but signal quality half way

Danny2012

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding something that has bugging me. I always get top signal strength. But the signal quality is usually about 60%. Anyone got any ides? Thanks.

Check the signal on 999 and 515. They're on Eurobird, at much lower signal strength, and much more susceptible to skew problems. Skew adjustment is a fairly quick job.

The picture quality is fine. Could this be a problem in the future?
As the picture is fine there's nothing to be concerned about - that's more important than some vague numbers, surely?
I don't see what's likely to happen in the future to change things from the way they are now.

Just a quick question regarding something that has bugging me. I always get top signal strength. But the signal quality is usually about 60%. Anyone got any ides? Thanks.

On what meter or receiver's meter & what dish

Meters on receivers can vary a lot - they are only a representation so you have to know the way a particular meter shows it as a level or use a pro meter which gives calibrated meter readings

However, a strong signal & low quality can be a local noise issue too such as a street lamp or telephone wires or pole in or near the dish or it's aim.

If it's easy to get at the dish - you could mask off say a 1/3rd or so of the dish face with cardboard or a wet towel until the picture just starts to break up & then check that quality number - if it's 30 or below you are OK- if it's 40 you might still be OK, but over that & that sounds like a low margin & might need to be looked at - it can show itself in bad weather causing breakup earlier than normal & low quality [basically more noise in the signal] can cause lossy type low level picture drop on cheaper chip sets.

Check the signal on 999 and 515. They're on Eurobird, at much lower signal strength, and much more susceptible to skew problems. Skew adjustment is a fairly quick job.

Signal strength about 80 signal quality about 50. But picture appears fine. Thanks.

As the picture is fine there's nothing to be concerned about - that's more important than some vague numbers, surely?
I don't see what's likely to happen in the future to change things from the way they are now.

Thanks. It was just mild curiosity really.

On what meter or receiver's meter & what dish

Meters on receivers can vary a lot - they are only a representation so you have to know the way a particular meter shows it as a level or use a pro meter which gives calibrated meter readings

However, a strong signal & low quality can be a local noise issue too such as a street lamp or telephone wires or pole in or near the dish or it's aim.

Cheers bud. The dish is in back garden. But not concerned at all because picture is fine.

Cheers bud. The dish is in back garden. But not concerned at all because picture is fine.

Check it again when it is raining. On my HDR picture will break up at about <35% quality. I have two EB1 channels that this occurs on in torrential rain which is rare.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom