Top quality digital media centre

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gaj-it, Apr 25, 2007.

1. gaj-it

gaj-it
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know of a top quality media centre that I can use in conjuction with hi-fi seperates. I'm looking at the escient fireball at the moment? I want really high quality sound which will be the same quality as my CD's when they are put onto the media server.

Cheers
    G

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just a thought, have you checked out Naim, Arcam and Slim Devices ?

3. gaj-it

gaj-it
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't but I will do you have any specific models you would recommend? Also as an off topic has any body copied their entire CD collection to one of these media centre devices and what software did you use to conver and maintain the quality?

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    EAC is the usual recommendation for ripping, and depending what system you end up buying, either leaving them as WAV, or going for a lossless format like FLAC (which supports tagging and album art).

5. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the simple Squeezebox and find it pretty good to say the least, others are a bit above my budget so have not even looked:)

6. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Hush Technologies do a nice one (although mine`s in the shop at the moment due to the wife frying the hard drive). Very very quiet. Great software by Digital Fidelity (who are doing the Naim ones too). From the guy at DigiFi who is fixing mine, says that they are working on new stuff with the Naim boxes (March release) and for a June release, three srevers.

My DigiFi/Hush box operates via a pda, 7" touch screen and an all 4 one remote.

7. SoundofFreedom

SoundofFreedom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Escient Fireball is a great piece of kit. It’s probably the best value for money equipment that I have ever bought and it’s certainly the most used. I ripped all my cds to it in FLAC and they sound superb through my Proceed AVP preamp. I am unable to tell the difference between the Fireball and my Eastsound CD player. The best thing about the Escient machines is the software and user interfaces. They are great and the player can sit on a network – it’s incredibly easy to set up; straight out of the box it took less than 15 minutes. I can use any computer in the house or any wireless device to control it over the network. In the lounge I use an old simpad instead of using the TV. The Network interface also means that I can drag and drop previously recorded material straight into the Fireball. Conversely, I can copy tracks onto any pc from the device.

All in all it’s a very well thought out piece of equipment and is very competitively priced.