1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

top of the range super snazzy laptops?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bunyboy, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    my girlfriends boss is after a new laptop and ive been aske to look into the option..
    money isnt an issue but portability, reliability and how snazzy it looks is...

she currently got a PC sony vaio but its on its last legs.. she open to stick with PC's or go with MACS
    (although everyone who works with her would rather she stayed with what she knows)

ive already compiled some info on the range of powerbook macs (its easy coz there are only 5 to choose from)
    and told her microsoft office doesnt come with so she'll have to pay extra for it.. (she needs word, excel etc)

i thought she should get from john lewis (coz of the 2 year g'tee) and have found these PC's:

SONY VAIO (coz she's already got one)
    Z1RMP - £1699
    V505CP - £1499
    FR415S.CEK - £1299

HEWLETT PACKARD (coz my gf's got one and its been great)
    ZD7050EA - £1599
    ZT3010EA - 1099
    ZE5416 - £899

i have a couple of questions i hope you guys can help me with..

are these any good? should i be avoiding any of them?

none of the sony's come with word or excel or anything
    some of the hp's come with word 2002 but thats it.. how much is it gonna cost to add microsoft office to these prices and does nobody sell these machines with it included?

whats the difference between XP home and XP pro?

thanks all

edit:

i just checked out the ibooks.. how come the Macs are winning on price?
    are there any similar (or cheaper) priced PC's out there that are a decent brand with a Pentium 4 processor and look cool? i cant beleive that Macs might win this on value for money!
    the big problem is there are SO many options on the PC front that i dont know where to start!

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
  3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alienware also do the Sentia range which are a little more lightweight if thats an issue

The problem I've always found with Toshs' is that the CD/DVD etc are often external devices that need to be connected so add to the over all weight anyway and is a delicate perihperal that then needs to be carried around as well

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  6. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i still think the most expensive SONY VAIO Z1 RMP at the john lewis site is the coolest (and its a brand ive heard of)
    remember - this is for someone who's only really gonna use it for word, excel, emailing & internet.. maybe the odd cd or dvd playback (but unlikely).. they just want it to be easy to use, compatible with anything they throw at it, fast, reliable and looks COOL! plus john lewis give a 2 year g'tee..

i just dont get why its more expensive than the Mac Powerbook 15" combo even though they are very similar machines..
    i always thought Macs were way more expensive than PC's.. ?

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Then get over to the Dell outlet and get the cheapest lappy on promotion.

8. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    that wont do it..
    they want something that looks great
    that everyone will say is the coolest best thing they've ever seen
    if i was sat with my dell cheapy next to someone with a 17" WS powerbook.. i think we both know which one the fonzie is...

(these arent teenagers but 30, 40 and 50 year olds)
    what PC's are trying to compete with Mac's in the looks department
    and have a nice big hard drive (coz she'll fill it up with stuff and never delete anything)

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Why not just get a powerbook then? It'll do everything required and looks the mutts nuts. If its only gonna be used for word, exel etc then you wont have compatibility issues.

10. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    everyone around her would rather she stayed with PC's.. she's not computer literate and it would a nightmare for everyone while she learns to use the Mac plus there would be compatibility issues (they already have someone with a mac and sometimes excel or word files that have been compressed in an email by a Mac cant be opened on a PC)

im trying to find PC's that'll make her forget about the Mac idea coz the nice shiney PC ive put under her nose is just as cool and is cheaper! i was hoping that would be the case with the SONY VAIO Z1 (esp. since she's already got am older one) but they seem to be more than the Powerbooks so she wont bite!

oh well..

11. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Sony Z1...

I quite like it. The screen is a nice size and resolution and it's fast enough for most of the stuff I do on it. It'd be seriously lacking for games as it's got a pretty low specced gfx set in it but for day to day use it's fine. It's not too heavy, but large/powerful enough to serve as a desktop replacement when I'm at home or travelling.

However, the problems I've found with it are:

The keyboard layout is bizarre, even for a laptop. The right shift key is to the left of the up cursor key and one of the "fn" keys. Takes some getting used to that...

The wireless connectivity doesn't seem too stable. It seems not to get as strong a signal as my other machine, and has issues talking to anything else directly on the wireless lan (everything else is fine).

The recessed USB ports, while looking snazzy, prohibit connecting things like some USB memory devices without an extension cable.

It's had a few issues waking up from hibernation that I didn't see on my old machine, but that could be a software issue.

I hate trackpads (but thats more or less unavoidable I guess).

If you can live with those shortcomings (I can most of the time!) then it's fine. I think it looks pretty good, if thats an issue.

Personally if I didn't have to do a couple of critical tasks only possible on a PC, I'd buy a Mac myself :)

12. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hate trackpads? So do I - plug in a mouse!

13. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not if you are within a wifi network.

Unless you need to load/transfer large files, then there is always the 10/100 lan.

The bundles pcmcia cd rom even has it's own rechargable batteries.

Rgds

14. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Thats more often than not down to the compression used by the email app - an easily solved problem.

Good luck with your hunt

15. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it looks like we're dealing with a noob having a mid-life crisis here anyway who just wants a toy that'll let them watch the odd film and look good as it sits on the table gathering dust.

Just give her an old ZX81 and tell her it's the latest retro fashion statement and all the snowboarding web designers in Soho are using them in coffee shops leaving you to pocket the remaing £1600 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Look at the Business Laptops from Dell.
    I just got my new Dell D600 (replaces a 3 year old Dell Latitude) from work.
    Nice small docking bay, CDRW/DVD-Player drive built-in. WiFi and Bluetooth, Pentium-M1.4 CPU (equivalent to roughly a 2.3 GHz P4) ATI video card built in, 512 MB RAM.
    The only thing not built-in is floppy drive - pretty unimportant in these days of USB flash-drives.
    It's faster than my P4 desktop machine and no real problems - just getting used to WinXP Pro and newer version MS Office & Outlook.
    Also works fine with both dialup and USB/ADSL modems as well as on our VPN and directly on our LAN.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    No-one in soho is sitting in coffee shops using ZX81. They've all been bought up for installation artworks at the Tate Modern.

Its got to be a powerbook.
    To be honest if the tech support staff can't cope with a powerbook coexisting with PCs then she needs to think about some new tech support people!

18. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If money really is no object, a spanking new Sony X505 with carbon fibre shell is really THE only option. As cool as the powerbooks are, IMHO this laptop is the ultimate in cool. Not the quickest, cheapest, or upgradeable laptop, but then again, uber-cool stuff rarely is.

Check it out if you want to be the coolest kid on the block :D

19. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    there are no tech support people.. just other people who work for her/with her.. all freelance , moving from one gig to another..

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive always thought the sony vaio are top notch on looks..... one recent guest of ours has a great little silvery one with a camera and all built in...... weighs about a kilo (if that) and has battery power to go on for ages (it could have been upwards of 5 hours if memory serves). Only down side is it is really a portable..... so it is small in the screen and keyboard dept.

ad