Top of the line soundcard recommendations?

PokerIsFun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am buying a best of the best new rig soon (thread here if any are curious http://www.avforums.com/forums/desktops-servers/1103960-buying-top-line-rig-whats-your-spec.html ) and I am wondering what soundcard to fit it with.

I originally chose the Creative Labs X-FI Elite Pro 24-BIT PCI Sound Card but I have been warned off it for compatability/crashing windows vista/7 issues. I am just wondering what you guys would recommend. I am looking for the absolute best quality in sound output for both MP3 music, general windows use and games - price is not an issue so please feel free to recommend some makes/models you feel are the top market leaders in quality.

Apologies if this seems a rather generic thread and if I have left out any important info, I am not as clued up as you people and although I did have a browse around this forum before posting I couldn't quite find what I wanted.

Thanks in advance for any help.

POKER IS FUN

Sorry, i havent rad your other thread but if you have a spare PCI-E slot then you may wish to consider the Auzentech X-Fi Forte

You need to think about what you are going to be connecting it to (TV / AV Amp / HiFi Amp)?

My advice would be probably to forget about a soundcard. Get the sound out of your PC digitally (from s/pdif out on your motherboard, or via HDMI) and then spend your money on whatever you are going to connect it to, let that turn the digital signal into audio.

Edit - As I realised in another thread, I didn't consider needs for gaming (not being a gamer myself). The above only applies for AV purposes, ie stereo for music and Dolby Digital / HD Surround formats for films etc. You mention games so you should disregard (although it still stands true to get the best results for other media).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom