1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Notch Centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mike Delvaux, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK caps I'm looking for an all singing and dancing centre speaker.
    I've tried the Q9c but it was no better than my castle keep.
    My front speakers are Celestion A2'S, Surrounds are Mission 71se's, rears are Mission 7 dipoles, with an SVS PB10.
    The keep sounds a bit boxy. I found the Kef the same. So I'm looking for somthing newer than my Castle which must be at least a 7 yr old model now.
    Any ideas :rolleyes:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Is there no chance of finding the matching Celestion A centre or perhaps a Celestion A1 to act as centre? It's very important to match your front speakers if at all possible.

The best centre speaker that I've read about within a sensible budget is the Rocket Bigfoot here:
    http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=6.1

and they have an even larger RSC500 on the way! :eek: :)

3. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That speaker looks good (bloody big though) I'm going over their soon so I might look out for it.
    The matcking centre speaker is the A4c but its not made any more it's also alot wider than the Rocket you mensioned. Even if I found one not sure weather I'd getaway with it. I've yet to try any of the Celestions because unlike the A4c they dont seem to get a good review. Also the A4c is an old model now (very expensive in its day) so I dont no if its as good as modern certres.

Mike

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Celestion A series are very highly regarded speakers. Speaker technology really hasn't advanced much in the last decade or so (curved cabinets are now becoming more prevalent) so I wouldn't worry about modern centres being any better. :)

5. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It might be worth giving one a try, but I have a feeling I'm going to be dissapointed. Does anybody no a centre that might blow my mind (if it is'nt blown already that is)

Mike.

6. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my Wharfedale Opus Center Channel is fantastic. The dialogue from movies has never been clearer and so very well pronounced. It does wonderful with music!

But I have no idea how it will match up with the gear you already have. You may want to try and audition it in a shop where they have it set up correctly.

I believe you may be surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

7. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    What about going for the Celestion A4c - IMO a fantastic centre - Would this not match your Fronts ??

8. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes by all accounts a very good speaker but their not made any more.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Kef 204c. £2000 worth of glorious center. I use the baby 202c (£1000) and rate it as perhaps one of the most solid purchases i have made AV wise.

Steven

10. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Any KEF 204c owners out there who would care to share their views on this model of centre speaker?

I currently have a KEF 200c (which I've owned for approx. 5 years) and thinking seriously about upgrading to the 204c.

11. point_and_shoot

point_and_shoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know one.The Digital Phase AP-.7cc If you can disregard the poor out of date web-site go to www.digitalp.com This is a local (to me) American company that is still growing. Furniture-grade cabinetry, titanium drivers (they have been updated since the website was designed), FR from 35hz to 20Khz This is a picture of mine with grille removed. Anyway, a totally unbeleivable experience.

[​IMG]

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    dunno what your budget is, but my Monitor Audio Silver SLCR centre is luvverly, extremely good with voices, can happily handle action stuff, looks quite snazzy too...heh

altho u might not be able to get it anymore, instead get the new RS version.....worth a demo in my opinion....its not too pricey but i'd say it performs above its price :)