1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Gun SE

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mevetts, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Very quickly - want to order Top Gun SE from CD-Wow but I'm not sure whether to order the R1 or R2 version. Are they the same?

Many thanks,

Mark.

2. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the R1 from DVDSoon and the cover has french and english writing on it.

3. Mumfalan

Mumfalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R1 from cdwow has no french writing on it. I think they will be very similar except with the usual PAL/NTSC and language/subtitle differences. I don't the R2 is out for a couple of moths though.

4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

Mumfalan, could you advise briefly as to what are these usual differences?

Many thanks,

Mark.

5. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one really knows the exact differences until April when the UK region 2 special edition (or whatever it's called) is released.

If you can play multi-region disks I would go for the region 1 as it will no doubt be much cheaper than the region 2 when it is available to buy.

6. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks West, I may just do that.

7. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Anyone compared it to the original DVD release yet?

8. MBeeching

MBeeching
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had the Region 2 Reg Edition for a few years now and didn't have any major issues with the picture.

Hell, I was just pleased to get 5.1 and better picture than my Philips CD-I Video Disc version.

Anyway, temptation being what it is I just had to own a version in DTS.
    So of course I picked it up at CDwow - prevailers of all that is good - for a measly £7.99. Especially as i'll likely get £4.00 trade in for the regular edition somewhere.

The opening menus are fantastic and capture all the feeling of the film.
    I began thinking this is going to be something special. Unfortunately I was wrong. Thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me I skipped a few scenes (of which there are very few compared to the original release). Things were not good. The colours are horribly over saturated (nasty nasty reds), perhaps this endeavour is to improve output on a plasma. But I don't own one...

I decided to pop in the regular Region 2 disc for comparison and the picture is decidedly better on the old release. The test only being a little unfair given the obvious NTSC vs. PAL issues.

My girlfriend (non-techy in any way) interestingly commented on how the picture was better on the new release.

As others have mentioned the sound is phenomenal, but it's a big price to pay on your eyes for the priviledge. For the price I think i'll just keep both or perhaps even investigate the forthcoming Region 2: SE - maybe you should too!