Top Gun: Maverick Movie Review & Comments

Lyricalis

Distinguished Member
What's crazy is in the US it'll be the no.1 movie of this week ahead of Jurassic World, Elvis and others...in it's 5th week of release! It's rare a movie reclaims no.1 like this.

All without the China market too.
Perhaps Hollywood will realise that tired franchises and bio-pics aren't really that much of a draw? You can never tell what lessons they're going to learn from the box office. Usually none at all from what I've seen.

I remember seeing the original Jurassic Park in the cinemas years ago. It was a real experience that was absolutely enhanced by what cinema can provide. But we've all seen that dinosaur stuff many times now.

I can't say I'm particularly interested in a film about a long dead singer either.

prism10

I have seen a few comments about this being a non franchise movie.

It kind of is a franchise by being a belated sequel.

bugsy46

Standard Member
Just back from the 3rd IMAX viewing at Cineworld Leeds. I manage to take a different family member each time using it as an excuse to go back! Still choked up, and still left the theatre with a huge grin ear to ear. Absolute perfection from beginning to end, and to top it all off we're seeing the F-18 displaying at RIAT in 2 weeks 🤟

amita

Saw this for the 2.5x time (first time watching at BFI IMAX aborted mid-way through) at the Empire Leicester Sq IMAX. Tremendous experience - magnificent screen, laser projection and sound. So glad I got to see this properly in a banging IMAX cinema.

Indiana Jones

Noticed they have put this back on their massive screen at my local Showcase, disappeared when Jurassic World was released so really glad to see its back, will try and catch it this weekend :)

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Didn’t manage to get to a 3rd viewing last weekend so I have my hopes on tomorrow at 10am :D

Thor will most likely take all IMAX screens next weekend.

CLH

So. Smaller screen. When I booked earlier about 10 tickets gone. Absolute sell out in end. 150 ish tickets? It’s doing remarkable things

SirTiger007

Where is @ASL1 with his stats? I love a stat! And I’d love this film to do some sort of record that defies the odds, potentially involving the number 215

bramney

Novice Member
It's thrilling and, yes, breathtaking to watch an action movie that is this obviously wonderful and entertaining while yet being aware that it's following well-worn paths.

tfboy

Having now seen it 6 times in Paris (yes, I know!), back in the UK and debating whether it's worth going all the way to London Leicester Square to see it at the cineworld IMAX or not. I live in Reading, and far closer is the Showcase where they have their Xplus screen which I haven't yet been to.

I saw it in Paris in both Dolby Atmos (awesome) then Dolby Cinema (awesome++) but can't decide whether it's worth the 1h30 drive into London. I was going to go today but as it's Gay Pride, might be worth avoiding it as I presume traffic and parking will be a nightmare...

So, I think the IMAX in LSq. is the best option, but reading up on how some people prefer the Atmos presentation with Dolby, I guess the main thing going for IMAX is the screensize and getting the squarer aspect ration on the flight scenes. Should I stick to the drive around the corner for Xplus in Winnersh (any experiences?) or whether the trek into London is really worth it?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Having now seen it 6 times in Paris (yes, I know!), back in the UK and debating whether it's worth going all the way to London Leicester Square to see it at the cineworld IMAX or not. I live in Reading, and far closer is the Showcase where they have their Xplus screen which I haven't yet been to.

I saw it in Paris in both Dolby Atmos (awesome) then Dolby Cinema (awesome++) but can't decide whether it's worth the 1h30 drive into London. I was going to go today but as it's Gay Pride, might be worth avoiding it as I presume traffic and parking will be a nightmare...

So, I think the IMAX in LSq. is the best option, but reading up on how some people prefer the Atmos presentation with Dolby, I guess the main thing going for IMAX is the screensize and getting the squarer aspect ration on the flight scenes. Should I stick to the drive around the corner for Xplus in Winnersh (any experiences?) or whether the trek into London is really worth it?

Yup, final para of the review mate - second viewing was at the Reading XP.

Bottom line, IMAX was better, and if you haven't seen it yet in IMAX, then that's really what you should aim for with your seventh trip.

If Leicester Sq is going to kill you, the Swiss Cottage IMAX is closer to Paddington, and pretty damn excellent (where I saw the premiere - also in the review).

tfboy

Thanks Cas. I guess IMAX makes sense, I can at least then tick it off the list :)
Driving into London, I was picking Leicester Sq as it appears to be the best IMAX screen around (dual laser IIRC). And Leicester Sq being in Westminster borough, cheap parking with an EV.... So that was my thinking.

amita

The Leicester Square IMAX is outstanding, unless you're particularly tall (i'm not) in which case the limited leg room might annoy. From a presentation, size and sound standpoint, outstanding.

p.s. if you want total immersion - sit in row F

tfboy

The Leicester Square IMAX is outstanding, unless you're particularly tall (i'm not) in which case the limited leg room might annoy. From a presentation, size and sound standpoint, outstanding.

p.s. if you want total immersion - sit in row F
Thanks, sounds like it's worth it!
It's OK, I'm too tall either, can easily fit inside an F18's tight cockpit :D

tfboy

Guess I'm not going today though with Gay Pride on!
1656763423205.png

hippo99

Distinguished Member
BFI IMAX is also doing two showings a day until Thor is out.
Absolutely massive screen although picture not as sharp as the laser projections. Very immersive though due to how big the picture is in the IMAX scenes.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
man the bot accounts for free movies are working over time last couple of days lol

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member

ASL1

Guess I'm not going today though with Gay Pride on!
View attachment 1718419

Crossrail/The Elizabeth line is now open and starts from Reading. You will need to swap Elizabeth line trains at Paddington, and then just get to Tottenham Court Road station and its a 10 min walk from there to Leicester Square.

Screenshot_20220702-164933.png

Note The Elizabeth line doesn't run on Sundays currently. It will from the Autumn.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max