Top Gun: Maverick Movie Review & Comments

mooperman

Distinguished Member
superb review cas - the opening 2 paragraphs need to be delivered like a sermon in a church :D

another week for me but first cinema visit in a year!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Dragging the missus to the IMAX for this.

Can’t wait, it’s been a long wait till now.

Will I Aint

I'm hoping I will enjoy this, I didn't like the first.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Great review. I saw it last night and loved it, can’t really add anything to Cas’s review other than yes it’s fan service, yes it’s immense in IMAX, and yes it’s a damn good film. I’ll be going again that’s for sure.

Dans1210

I was excited to see kosinski directing this, Oblivion is still spectacular today and vastly underrated imo. The aerial scenes in both Tron and Oblivion showed kosinski could pull this off with flair. Can’t wait!

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I'm hoping I will enjoy this, I didn't like the first.

The first is so damn cheesy I just can't rank it as a great film.

The second will have the playground antics again no doubt, but, as Cas mentions in the review, the aerial footage, with IMAX, is where it's at. That's what i'm making the trek up to Sheffield for. Nothing else matters. To me anyway.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
It will be interesting to see if the Blu-ray will be in IMAX Enhanced.
His last movie had it (Fallout). Hopefully they don't do a Dune and omit the IMAX stuff. :thumbsdow

No IMAX. No 4K buy.

jakimp

Distinguished Member
i feel the need the need .......to rush out and see this on the biggest available screen

thanks cas great review but i was going anyway

by the way do you really think turning 60 is going to slow him down? i doubt it very much. he is the last true hollywood movie star and he just seems to love the job way too much to quit

jakimp

Distinguished Member
His last movie had it (Fallout). Hopefully they don't do a Dune and omit the IMAX stuff. :thumbsdow

No IMAX. No 4K buy.
it will be in imax i am certain .. the imax scenes in fallout look amazing especially the helicopter fight scenes and this will be much better than that

lgans316

Distinguished Member
For me, Top Gun was a bit too cheese and overrated but its okay and in line with many 80s cheese.

Looking forward to watching this in the Cinemas (Dolby or IMAX TBD).

NewAcousticDimension

To those members who aren't going to the cinema, which I'm sure I'm allowed to ask as this is an AV forum :) , what do we think will work best when the blu-ray is out? Friday or Saturday night both films in a row? Or, Top Gun Friday, Maverick Saturday?
I know it sounds like detail planning - but this is important. 🤣

If they're separate days, we could align with Cruise's age, so Friday viewing could be with beer, hot dogs and peanuts, then Saturday aloe vera juice, a quinoa salad with some pills for our blood pressure and lumbar support on the sofa o_O

Will I Aint

The first is so damn cheesy I just can't rank it as a great film.

The second will have the playground antics again no doubt, but, as Cas mentions in the review, the aerial footage, with IMAX, is where it's at. That's what i'm making the trek up to Sheffield for. Nothing else matters. To me anyway.

That's my issue with the film, everything is dialled up to 11 for essentially a recruitment film for the USAF. The characters are 2 dimensional to the point of being annoying, TC's character is supposed to be cocksure but it played too annoying to the point that I'm rooting for the MIGs, and I want to slap most of the rest.

I know it's of it's time but the original winds me up, perhaps another viewing after I've seen this will soften my ire and I'll try to watch it again. There are plenty of 80s films that are dated but watchable but for me this just isn't one of them.

KeirW

Seats booked for the 25th at the BFI Imax in London, can't wait! :clap:

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review ....sounds great ! Cruise has won me over through the MI franchise with his incredible stunt work.

I was never a big fan of the original TG, but this I'm going to suggest the family get to the local IMAX for.

TimC

So excited for this. The review has only made me more so!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand