Top Gun: Maverick / 2-Film Collection 4K UHD

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Watched this tonight in IMAX. Loved it, seats a little to low (in the auditorium) if I’m being picky (my fault for booking them), would have preferred more centre height, but all in, fabulous.
I kept an eye on the screen ratios after reading this thread a few days ago and our presentation in Glasgows IMAX kept constant height throughout.
Enough nods & flashbacks to give it that warm feeling, loved the score and man, those aerial shots looked superb.
Nice touch at the end credits, in memory of …
Can’t wait to see the UHD presentation!!!!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I must have missed them, could someone please spoiler tag what they said?
It was for
Tony Scott
and after all the nods to the original I thought it was a nice touch.

Indiana Jones

I never even noticed shows you how good it was! It is a paramount release do they even do imax for home cinema
The last Mission Impossible movie had the IMAX scenes on the UHD so fingers crossed this does as nearly an hour of the film was shot with an expanded ratio.

chief barker

Distinguished Member
I just haven't got any love for the original, so I've ordered the standalone Maverick.

WarHog

I just haven't got any love for the original, so I've ordered the standalone Maverick.
What age were you when the original was released an 1986?

Although it is one of my very favourite films, I think a film like Top Gun can only really be brilliant if you saw it first back when it was released, and loved it then. If I was watching it today for the first time I'm not sure if it would feature in my top 10 films. But seeing it upon release as a 14yr old boy I just loved it.

Same with Jaws, if seeing it now for the first time it wouldn't be the same. Films like this are of their age, but if they were great films when first seeing them then they tend to remain great films throughout your life.

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

Although it is one of my very favourite films, I think a film like Top Gun can only really be brilliant if you saw it first back when it was released, and loved it then. If I was watching it today for the first time I'm not sure if it would feature in my top 10 films. But seeing it upon release as a 4yr old boy I just loved it.

Your parents let you watch Top Gun as a four year old! Ok, this was the 80s. :D

Indiana Jones

Although it is one of my very favourite films, I think a film like Top Gun can only really be brilliant if you saw it first back when it was released, and loved it then. If I was watching it today for the first time I'm not sure if it would feature in my top 10 films. But seeing it upon release as a 4yr old boy I just loved it.

Same with Jaws, if seeing it now for the first time it wouldn't be the same. Films like this are of their age, but if they were great films when first seeing them then they tend to remain great films throughout your life.
Top Gun and Jaws were definitely ones I grew up with, no idea how old I was when I first saw them though but definitely under 10.

steviedr

Distinguished Member

I do agree, although some can sweep you up, I first watched Lawrence of Arabia not so long ago and fell in love with it.

chief barker

Distinguished Member
This disc can't come soon enough.

Darbo

Anyone had issues pre ordering the 2 movie set from amazon? It's saying they can't deliver to my address, I'm in Manchester and I'm fairly sure I've had discs from America, Canada and half of mainland Europe.

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Anyone had issues pre ordering the 2 movie set from amazon? It's saying they can't deliver to my address, I'm in Manchester and I'm fairly sure I've had discs from America, Canada and half of mainland Europe.
They seem to be tightening up recently, which is annoying.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Seems to be hit and miss these days..maybe order from wow or deep discount as an alternative to amazon USA if there not playing ball?

Darbo

Seems to be hit and miss these days..maybe order from wow or deep discount as an alternative to amazon USA if there not playing ball?
This is amazon UK though believe it or not, I've recently bought Juice from the US and Frida from Germany with no issue, think I've made amazon UK feel left out and they're getting their own back.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
I’m guessing we won’t be seeing this disc till around sept/October?

Indiana Jones

I’m guessing we won’t be seeing this disc till around sept/October?
End of September I read, something about Tom Cruise insisting on a 4 month cinema release which is fine with me as it means I can catch it a few more times on the big screen, where it needs to be seen.

I managed to see the last screening at the 4DX and wow just wow, this film was made for the 4DX! The music in the opening scene gave me goosebumps lol. I wasn't sure how good this film was going to be, but it lived up to the first one in my opinion. I can't wait to buy this on 4k and watch at home.

Attachments

• 200-13.gif
    200-13.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

hippo99

Distinguished Member
The last Mission Impossible movie had the IMAX scenes on the UHD so fingers crossed this does as nearly an hour of the film was shot with an expanded ratio.
Tron Legacy had the IMAX scenes on disc, but both Oblivion & Only the Brave didn’t have the IMAX scenes so could go either way.

Think Paramount usually just goes with what the director wants (eg MI:4 not having IMAX scenes on disc).

OFDPOS

Novice Member
End of September I read, something about Tom Cruise insisting on a 4 month cinema release which is fine with me as it means I can catch it a few more times on the big screen, where it needs to be seen.

Had other obligations and finally had time to go see it. A week after it comes out and all the theater's around here kicked it to the smaller screens to make room for the new Jurassic Park movie .
I'm bummed !!!

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Had other obligations and finally had time to go see it. A week after it comes out and all the theater's around here kicked it to the smaller screens to make room for the new Jurassic Park movie .
I'm bummed !!!
Same has happened here, planned to go see it again but now it’s just on the smaller screens :(

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Same has happened here, planned to go see it again but now it’s just on the smaller screens :(
It’s still worth it. I saw it on IMAX which was superb and have seen it again on Sunday just there on the smaller cinema screen and it’s still definitely worth seeing if your wondering.
Edit ….. sorry was meant for @OFDPOS

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Somebody on another forum (who kinda knows their stuff) is confident that this will have switching ratios for the IMAX footage :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow