"Top Gun" in a whole new light!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Aug 20, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Whether you're a fan of Top Gun or not, check this link and this link out!!!

Never heard of this "theory" before, but this stuff is all over the net and has been for ages.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Funny stuff :rotfl: :rotfl:

But in the video they get it wrong.
    " be my wing man anytime" not "ride my tail"

strong language in the links :eek:

3. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,527
    It is true that there seems to be a lot of sexual tension between Mav and The Iceman. Check out the locker room scenes.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,693
    me and my mates were 12? when top gun came out... we all thought 'Ice-man' was 'dodgy' even back then! :rotfl:

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    you could put the argument forward that any film about male bonding is "homo erotic" i think these people just have to much free time on their hands.

Gary

6. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,249
    Why do some people find it necessary to find hidden meanings in movies.
    I can't be the only person who watches a movie purely for the story it is telling.

This has been going on ever since they started making movies, or telling stories in any medium for that matter.
    Any action movies with buddy buddy situations are about latent homosexuality.
    Any 50's/60's sci fi or horror movies are metaphors for McCarthyism or the cold war.

What is this obsession with finding hidden meanings, metaphors and secret meanings in everything.
    Freud said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".
    If I watch a movie and enjoy it I don't want a bunch of pseudo intellectuals trying to force their opininions on what the subliminal underlying message is. I just want to enjoy it for what it is.

7. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There's quite and interesting story behind this monologue, which comes from a movie directed by Eric Stoltz.

The story goes that QT agreed to making a guest cameo on the understanding that he could improvise a scene wherein he rants about a film of his choice.

The scene in question created a bit of a buzz, and QT took the credit; however, it soon emerged that the Top Gun monologue wasn't exactly improvised; rather it was a 'routine' that had been written by Roger Avary (QT's friend and sometime writing partner), which the two used to perform at parties.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back for Avary, and prompted a bit of a falling out between the two.

Apparently, Avary had written a script called "The Open Road", upon which QT based True Romance and Natural Born Killers...however Avary was never given a proper co-writing credit. The story goes that other chunks of dialogue, scenes and so on then wound up in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction...but again, Avary got little or restricted credit.

I'm sure it was Empire that ran an interview with Avary a few years back, which basically set out to show that QT has allowed the perception to flourish that he was the sole writing / creative force behind True Romance, NBK, Dogs and Pulp Fiction...and that this is not necessarily so.

Certainly, Reservoir Dogs has been shown to share just a few to many similarities to City on Fire to be just a coincidence.

8. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... which is pretty bloody funny coming from Sigmund, given he was the one responsible for starting all this "hidden meaning in inanimate objects" crap in the first place.

9. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I think of it, this topic has come up before. I remember an occasion way, way back (late '80s?) when I was watching TG on video with my girlfriend of the time. I must have been around 18-19 at the time, can't remember. Naturally, she was quite happy watching "Mav", "Ice" and the rest, and made the mistake of mentioning this to me.

Now, I'm relatively secure in who I am and what I am, but know what? I really didn't need to hear how "gawgus" Tom and his slippery-chested buddies were, so I asked the obvious question - "So, if Tom Cruise walked through that door this moment and wanted you to go off with him, you'd go?". "Oh no," she answered, "I just mean he's cute and sexy and all that". "Yes, you would" (I'm challenging her now)... "No, he's too cute... you're all nice and poofy".

I'm WHAT?

OK, I should explain that she meant the "P" word in the sense I had slightly more excess baggage than Mr Cruise and Co (who didn't? did these guys have a scrap of fat on them?), but I still didn't really want to hear that either (even though than it was better than the other connotation of the P word). So naturally, I gave the knee-jerk response (and the twist of irony): "Poofy? The only poofs in this room are the ones on the screen!".

Naturally, she argued, but I was going to torture her now - I spent the remainder of the movie pointing out everything that could possibly have been construed as a homosexual reference, including (of course), the shower scene ("You're dangerous..., etc.), the volleyball game, and all the general ass-slapping, hugging, etc. that went along. I think by the end she may actually have been convinced.

Heh heh... the sadistic nature of youth...

10. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Flat-tops and moustaches? In the Navy? Nuthin' gay about that.

11. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I think the film was called Sleep With Me, directed by Rory Kelly (Eric Stolz stars with Meg Tilly) where he cameo'd IIRC in a kitchen (at a party?) during which the said rant took place. It was very funny at the time.

12. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,028
    FYI...Cineworld in Hull is showing Top Gun on a Tuesday night in two weeks so if you can get there you can see for yourself on the big screen! Back To The Future was shown last night and sold out!