1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Gun : Collectors Edition (R1)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by edinburgh160, Jan 24, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received this. What a disgrace that they are charging for this set. The picture is arguably worse than the Region2 version you can pick up for £3.99 in Vrgin / HMV.
    The Sound is in DTS which is better, but the quality of picture is so ppor I switched off. Why (oh Why) do they release such films if they haven't remastered the picture ????? Should have read a review before. £8 wasted.

They should look at the Superbit of 'Fast and Furious' to see how it's done.

2. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I didn't think it was that bad.

3. Toothy

Toothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur with edinburgh160....it really is a shocking release. :(

Menu's are quite nice though. ;^D

I've just downloaded the HDTV version.....although not perfect, it is much, much better. \0/

4. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't watched my copy yet but I'm just pleased to get a DTS version and all those extras for £6.15!

I agree they are fantastic menus. I think they're the best I've ever seen.

Edinburgh 160 how far did you get into the film? Because I remember reading that the picture is pretty poor at the very, very beginning then improves after a few minutes, possibly after the title sequence? The fast and furious is a much newer film and is going to look miles better than a film nearly 20 years old! By the way if you're interested in an excellent picture you should see the Superbit of Desperado .

5. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yep, the opening sequence is pretty bad. Very grainy indeed, partly because of the overuse of filters.

But it does get a lot better after that.

& hey, you should be happy that they finally released it in the correct aspect ratio! :)

6. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I thought it was a great buy for the money. Ive waited so long for a DTS version. The sound is fantastic and as aprout says after the opening but the pic is fine (on a 32" tv anyway)

mark

Anyone got the number for that truck driving school?

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my copy from DVDSoon and wow the sound (DTS ES Track) is awesome, one of the best i ever heard, the whole room shakes everytime a plane shoots passed or takes off WOW!

The picture while i agree should of had a proper remaster job looks fine to me

8. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like i'm in the minority. true, a 20 year old film it may be, but look at the likes of the Godfather / Raiders of the Lost Ark.
    I agree that the sound is immense, I just can't help feel that it was half a job done. This film deserved a re-mastered make over really. Still I'm sure it will come out eventually.
    I suppose for £8 I houldn't complain too much.
    BTW, Superbit version of Black Hawk Down is well worth a mention if you like sound (and the picture is excellent as well) :thumbsup:

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry we will see a High definition version on Blu-Ray / HD DVD,

Even better soundtrack (if thats possible) but more importantly a remastered high definition picture :)