Just watched mine GODDAMN does it look stunning .... The opening carrier scene with Danger Zone playing in Atmos was just incredible.
Went and looked at my photo with Val Kilmer after and my god the poor guy as had it rough it brought a lump to my throat.

Well I thought it looked cracking. Stunning for such an old film.
No, a movie from the 80s can't be described as "such and old film" that would make me .....old! :eek:
I guess depending on when we were born we all have a different perception of what is an old film. Initially I thought the 60s back I would consider old but after thinking about it there are some early 70s movies I would consider old like Dirty Harry. I reckon my cut off is Jaws, Jaws isn't old but everything before it is.

No, a movie from the 80s can't be described as "such and old film" that would make me .....old! :eek:
I guess depending on when we were born we all have a different perception of what is an old film. Initially I thought the 60s back I would consider old but after thinking about it there are some early 70s movies I would consider old like Dirty Harry. I reckon my cut off is Jaws, Jaws isn't old but everything before it is.

Im 49 in August so I tell myself anything pre Rocky 4 is old

I was thinking the exact same thing, you can’t call Top Gun an old film as that would mean I’m old :eek:

Sorry this is off topic but has anyone else who bought Top Gun and then was refunded by zongle80 had an email from PayPal saying the refund didnt process successfully?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No the 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray release is the same disc as released in 2011, the remastered disc is brand new for 2020 and is far superior.

So is the 1080p disc in the 4K set the old or new transfer. seems to only mentioned remastered for the 4K disc on Amazon.

So is the 1080p disc in the 4K set the old or new transfer. seems to only mentioned remastered for the 4K disc on Amazon.

In the US the Blu-Ray is the remastered disc but it’s not known yet what will be included in the U.K. release.

In the US the Blu-Ray is the remastered disc but it’s not known yet what will be included in the U.K. release.

OK, I will be upgrading if it is. I don't have 4K so need the remastered to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, as mentioned, the US 1080p disc is remastered and also has Dolby Atmos.

Top Gun’s been dispatched!

Hoping my courier feels the need for speed!

(Atmos speakers went in last weekend, so I’m ready!)

It arrived today, just in time for the weekend!

Those who have height/ceiling speakers, is this a go disc that really shows what a good system can do?

Those who have height/ceiling speakers, is this a go disc that really shows what a good system can do?
It's very good mate, especially during the dog fight scenes, and Tom Cruise, taking her breath away:D

Ohh boy. Here are my thoughts after viewing it this fine evening...

This Atmos soundtrack is the stuff of dreams! This is why we gear up & spoil our ears...To be bombarded from all angles by alarmingly accurate special effects & planted in scenes with the stars on screen. It’s just seamless how every sound moves around you & flows from one speaker to another, enhanced by an onslaught of bass. There are zero issues here with the sound. Everything compliments each other – & what’s more stunning is the clarity of dialogue mixed in with the barrage of chaos happening at the same time. Demo.

Visually, you can tell they put in some effort to bring this up to 4K standard. This film’s from the 80’s so we know not to expect anything top shelf here, but it’s worthy of the format. There were no real shockers of scenes. Very solid with great detail throughout.

Can’t help admiring old mate Tom Cruise when watching this. He’s been in this caper for almost 40 years & still remains relevant. He’s at the top of his game here & seeing Val Kilmer rising with him + Michael Ironside, Tom Skerritt & James Tolkan still have the impact in their roles, overall, makes this a highlight UHD BD release in my collection.

Anticipate something born for this format & Atmos especially.

Ohh boy. Here are my thoughts after viewing it this fine evening...

This Atmos soundtrack is the stuff of dreams! This is why we gear up & spoil our ears...To be bombarded from all angles by alarmingly accurate special effects & planted in scenes with the stars on screen. It’s just seamless how every sound moves around you & flows from one speaker to another, enhanced by an onslaught of bass. There are zero issues here with the sound. Everything compliments each other – & what’s more stunning is the clarity of dialogue mixed in with the barrage of chaos happening at the same time. Demo.

Visually, you can tell they put in some effort to bring this up to 4K standard. This film’s from the 80’s so we know not to expect anything top shelf here, but it’s worthy of the format. There were no real shockers of scenes. Very solid with great detail throughout.

Can’t help admiring old mate Tom Cruise when watching this. He’s been in this caper for almost 40 years & still remains relevant. He’s at the top of his game here & seeing Val Kilmer rising with him + Michael Ironside, Tom Skerritt & James Tolkan still have the impact in their roles, overall, makes this a highlight UHD BD release in my collection.

Anticipate something born for this format & Atmos especially.
I really have to agree with all of this, it's a beauty of a disc, and needs to be in everyone's collection. I'm watching it again next week, if the weather cools down.

I was planning on buying 4 height speakers later in the year. But with the comments on this and the fact is one of my all time favourite films, I'm finding it difficult to resist.

I was planning on buying 4 height speakers later in the year. But with the comments on this and the fact is one of my all time favourite films, I'm finding it difficult to resist.
I’ve been debating whether to go from 2 to 4 Atmos speakers this week.

But after watching this, I’m happy with 2. My room’s not ideally suited for 4 at this stage anyway.

Depends on your room size.

But you need at least 2 before diving in imo.

I’ve been debating whether to go from 2 to 4 Atmos speakers this week.

But after watching this, I’m happy with 2. My room’s not ideally suited for 4 at this stage anyway.

Depends on your room size.

But you need at least 2 before diving in imo.
I'm set on getting SVS Prime Elevation. 2 on the front wall and 2 somewhere behind me. From all accounts, they're very good for the money.

Still, I've no doubt this film will sound amazing with or without any extra speakers.

I'm set on getting SVS Prime Elevation. 2 on the front wall and 2 somewhere behind me. From all accounts, they're very good for the money.

Still, I've no doubt this film will sound amazing with or without any extra speakers.
Go for it buddy. Spoil those ears 😂

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom