Release date: 08/06/2020

Standard Edition:
TG_4K.jpg

HMV Exclusive "Cine Edition":
TG_CE.png

TG_CE (2).png

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've got this on iTunes but never got round to watching it. Hopefully they will upgrade it.

This should be a thing of beauty. Definitely day one buy

Top Gun is probably the movie I have purchased more than any other. Even on VHS with a surround sound TV this was demo worthy stuff. I wore the tape out where the MiGs flew past and could be heard in the rear speakers. The THX laserdisc was awesome, the amount of bass when we first see Maverick and Goose is incredible. Sadly the DVD and blu ray had very weak audio mixes compared with the laserdisc. I'm hoping the Atmos track on this finally restores the low level bass, if it does then a definite must buy for me.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is this getting a UK release?

Smershpod did a podcast a while back about Top Gun - it's quite a fun listen, kept my interest up until this arrives. So to speak.

I really hope this and days of thunder get a UK release or else I’ll be hoping I’ll be back working in America soon....

This has been put back to 8th December now in US! The sequel releases around then.

This has been put back to 8th December now in US! The sequel releases around then.
Only the steelbook is delayed from what I heard from HD movies source.

Yes seems like only the Steelbook has been pushed back.

This is gonna look and sound epic in 4K, the blu-ray IMHO is outstanding for the year!

The audio on the Blu-Ray is certainly fantastic and the fact it included both a TrueHD and DTS-HD MA track was something of a rarity but have a feeling the new Atmos track will blow us away :)

Also glad to read it’s apparently getting a new remaster but hopefully the colour will be a little more subdued than the one they did for the 3D release.

The audio on the Blu-Ray is certainly fantastic and the fact it included both a TrueHD and DTS-HD MA track was something of a rarity but have a feeling the new Atmos track will blow us away :)

Also glad to read it’s apparently getting a new remaster but hopefully the colour will be a little more subdued than the one they did for the 3D release.
I have to disagree, the audio on the blu ray is disappointing as the bass is filtered. It is very much a mix for the home. I've still got the THX laserdisc and although only a lossy DD5.1 it totally blows away the blu ray in terms of sound. When we first see Maverick and Goose it sounds fantastic on the LD but poor by comparison on the blu ray. The LD has the bass where it's needed and never encroaches into the music, a proper cinema audio experience. I managed to get my LD player working again a couple of years ago so was able to compare with the blu ray and confirmed how good the sound was on the LD, picture quality was terrible though.
My hope is the Atmos track restores some of the bass. HDR should apply to the sound as well as the picture. It annoys me that we get filtered down audio much of the time, so much that I'd happily pay extra to get a proper cinema audio track on the discs. I'm sure my speakers and sub could handle it, not so sure about my neighbours though.

Haven’t watched it for a few years but certainly found it wasn’t lacking in the bass department but before the BD I had only watched it on DVD and VHS in stereo haha

Haven’t watched it for a few years but certainly found it wasn’t lacking in the bass department but before the BD I had only watched it on DVD and VHS in stereo haha
Even on VHS it was my go to movie for a surround sound demo. The Migs flying past and the sound from the rear speakers was great and my setup at the time was a 29" Toshiba surround sound TV. I blame Top Gun for getting me hooked on home cinema.

HMV exclusive "Cine Edition" now available to pre-order.
OP updated with link/artwork.

HMV exclusive "Cine Edition" now available to pre-order.
OP updated with link/artwork.
Would like to order this but live in Sweden, anyone that can help me out in any way? Would be very much appreciated. Maybe put it up on Ebay?

Would like to order this but live in Sweden, anyone that can help me out in any way? Would be very much appreciated. Maybe put it up on Ebay?
If you have PayPal, i don't mind you transferring me the funds to my paypal, and i will order it through HMV and post it on to you when it arrives?

If you have PayPal, i don't mind you transferring me the funds to my paypal, and i will order it through HMV and post it on to you when it arrives?
Thanks but I found it listed on Ebay and bought it.

Such an entertaining movie with an incredible soundtrack. I'd certainly watch it again in 4K but I'm not fussed on the disc. I really wish studios would use the original art instead of some generic publicity shot.

Buckheimer was such a force in the 80s, and if you like his MTV style I'd recommend a much less well known effort of his from 84 called Thief of Hearts. The soundtrack is again absolutely superb and the story is basically De Palma level sleaze. It's well worth a watch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom