Top Gear

James45

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's back what do you think of the new format? Clarkson just had a sly pop at Wilson and the rest on Channel Five while driving the Pagoni Zonda "Moving out of fifth gear into... Top Gear!"
I wanted the new Lambo!!

James beat me to posting this subject?
For those who do not know Top Gear is back on BBC 2 Sundays 20.00 till 21.00.
I always thought Top Gear must be Thursday.

Originally posted by bobbles
i thought it came across as cheesy and unprofessional
It was a bit of a slap up meal. I like clarkson though, he makes me laugh. shame he cant drive.

I wonder who the mistery racing driver is?

Hope its Tiff. Maybe Jason Plato.

I was hoping that GT40 was gonna get put through its paces.

Originally posted by ytgti
shame he cant drive

Why can't he drive? Was he baned? :confused:

Excellent programme, a cross between the old top gear and his chat show.

Originally posted by James45
It's back what do you think of the new format?

Quite liked it. They had to come up with something different if it was to stretch to 60 minutes and I did quite like the semi-chat show format.

Clarkson transcends accusations of amateurism because he knows he's sh*t but doesn't give a monkeys, which is FAR better than most TV presenters these days who are equally sh*t but think they're some kind of geniuses.

Wasn't the Zonda something magical? Third of a million quid well spent if you've got it in the first place.

I liked the 'in the name of science' speed camera article too. Their news item on being able to buy a brand new Imprezza for (probably) sub £18k also means we'll be seeing even more of them on the roads... I pity anyone who bought one two years ago thinking they'd achieve a decent second hand price though.

Downsides? I thought the whole 'The Stig' thing was daft... I mean, was that meant to be Charlie Sheen in there, practicing for his appearance in 'The Wraith II'?

And, who ever booked that retard Harry Enfield to appear needs shooting. How does anyone put up with being around him for more than 5 minutes? Does he have his own voice/persona or just combinations of his 'comedy' characters?

Can't wait to see the Nissan 305Z put through it's paces on there.

Sorry I did not like the new format, Top Gear on its own, great. Clarkson Show good fun, but this program although I did not dislike, thought the two programs apart better.
Also what the heck has happened to Driven??? What a load of tosh that was the last time I saw it.

agree with Juboy, I like the new format, but yes the Stig think is too silly. What's about the vegetable oil for diesel thing... I couldn't believe that!!:eek:

I've never found Clarkson particularly offensive and he's funny in his own little way, unlike Enfield if he was to come round my place and start with those comedy voices I'd say Oi... Enfield... NO! I think he's broke his funny bone.

The GT40 will be something quite special but what's the point in such a limited run "You'll have to know someone at Ford to get one"? Seems silly. But I thought the Lambo was one of the most amazing looking cars I have ever seen.

Originally posted by James45
What's about the vegetable oil for diesel thing... I couldn't believe that!!:eek:

3p a litre and it *might* give better performance than diesel with no damaging emissions?!?

It's not far off the dream of cars running on water.

If I owned a diesel that had no more than 3 or 4 years left in it anyway, I'd be round my fast food joints offering to pay their cooking oil bill for them on the understanding I can come collect it once they clean their fryers out.

I'd be sure to tell my local tax office what I was doing though :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ytgti

I wonder who the mistery racing driver is?

Stig Blomqvist?

;)

Better than 'Driven' but there again what isn't at the moment.

I didn't like the new presenters. It all seemed too forced for my liking.

Why do we have to have the silly music when we get the incar shot of the mystery racing driver?:confused:

Why do we have to have celebrities which messes up the show?:confused:

Why do we have to have grannies coming into the show to see who's the quickest? Who the hell cares:mad:

These are the sort of things which 'Driven' would do.

Top gear was alright but it wasn't great.

Originally posted by SOUNDSTYLE
I didn't like the new presenters. It all seemed too forced for my liking.

Why do we have to have the silly music when we get the incar shot of the mystery racing driver?:confused:

Why do we have to have celebrities which messes up the show?:confused:

Agree with point 1, the new guy in the red shirt was forced in the extreme and the tubby guy was too nervous. They'll get better though.

That daft music just made the already daft 'The Stig', er, dafter.

I think celebrities *can* work well on that section and could be interesting. The problem on last night's was that they had Harry (Was I ever funny? - I'm certainly not now) Enfield on there.

I tried the Vegatable Oil thingy. I went out, bought 5 litres of cheapo vegatable oil for £1.37, bought some NON-kerosene White spirit, and put 5 table spoons on Spirit into the vegatable oil, to break down the glyesarin,so its watery, so it can go through the injector pistons(i think). my fuel tank was on dangerous red and the little diesel symbol on my Audi A4 (1999) was flashing to say that there was no diesel left.

I slowly poured it into the tank.
The diesel gauge increased abit, so I was sure it was burning the vegatable oil.

I started the engine, and started no problem !

sounded abit ruff at the start, but after abit of accelaration in neutral, it sounded normal.
I took it for a spin to the shops, and the accelaration was pritty much normal.

When I drove it back into my garage, i smelt the fumes out of the exust, and they werent "diesel'y"

Im very please. From now on I keep a ready mixed 5 Litre tank of oil in the boot, ready for using if i runout of diesel in the middle of no were.

Originally posted by Lex
Why can't he drive? Was he baned? :confused:
Dont know on that one Lex:p. No i mean he's not a very good driver for a car programme presenter.

Im very please. From now on I keep a ready mixed 5 Litre tank of oil in the boot, ready for using if i runout of diesel in the middle of no were.

and if you run out of vegetable oil, perhaps keep a spare 5 litre can of diesel in your boot?

clarkson knows what the kids want to see, and appears to be keen to deliver.

How completely uninterested in cars is Harry Enfield. why did the editor not cut the bit about "APS"...

The little Morris Minor and the Majors chap in the cheesecloth shirt and Jezza reminded me very much of Jonathan Ross with his side-kick to feed lines and bounce gags, bit of a drip, really, and the fat bloke, should be an Australian but isn't, so he's crap too.
Liked the Lamborghini Zonda thing, but fear it's going to run out of ideas fast...

I thought the reason the other lot moved to Fifth Gear was because the BBC weren't interested in doing Top Gear any more. And didn't Clarkson stop doing it years go?

Sorry for being slow/thick, but could someone let mein on what's going on?

Thats what I thought about the Fifth Gear lot. I bet they were real happy at the Beeb when they found out Top Gear was back :rolleyes:
I don't understand why the BBC axed it in the first place, had ratings dropped that much?

I think the ratings were poor but it was the absolute market leader of TV motoring shows... it was madness for the beeb to throw that away.

I remember, it had the most amount of viewers for a BBC2 programe and they pulled the plug.:confused:

Yeah Ytgti,it was pulling something like 7 million viewers a show,and what shall we do - let`s can it - duh!!
Kinda like the new show, the Lambo was a joy to behold (fav` car make and all that..) for a first showing it was o.k. a kind of mixture of his talk show and various old/new ideas thrown in - seemed to work for the most,be intrested to see it pan out in the next few weeks.
The GT 40 was indeed James 45, a true vision :eek:
The Stig thing was a bit crap - just tell us who he is - we really couldn`t care less about this secrecy thing,and we might pay more attention if we knew who it was and valued their opinion :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom