Top end TV - What do I need? Monster HDMI, power centre?

lersince1991

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Say if I was to buy the top end samsung 55D8000 which is 3d and runs at 800hz, what would people recommend getting with it?

I can get a 3D blu-ray Player with it for free, would I need the top end Monster HDMI cable to hook this up? monster states it can go up to like 600hz compatible cable or something.

Also what good would Monster's power centre's do? Surge protect, power filter, put sky coax cables through (just cut the line if theres a lighting strike or something?) and the green power feature turns the tv off when its left on standby and also does the same for the sky box and 3d blu-ray player. has anyone had any experience with this with a sky box say if the tis off but you scheduled the sky box to record a series?

And is there anything else i.e. decent satellite coax cable for sky?

Would really appreciate the help!
Cheers,
Luke.

Don't touch Monster.
Not bad products but massively overpriced.
The 600Hz is inside the TV (called subfield generation) so for them to put this on the packaging of a HDMI cable to increase the rpice is, quite frankly, fraudulent.
For the distance you are using (1-2m) and cables which is specified as "Standard Speed" or "High Speed" will do.
This cable is a good example, I have used the 5m version of this and it delivers the ones and zeroes which is it's job.
A power strip with surge suppresion is nice - for example - to protect against surges which could damage an amplifier etc.
I point to TV Cables simply because I have used them, there are a number of similar assured suppliers.

Trollslayer gives good advice here. From your post Luke, have you by chance just come back from a visit to Currys or Comet? :)

lol, funny thing is I actually work part time at Comet whilst at Uni. - just wanted to confirm a few things.
for the record I give very good service and honest advice - I get the best feedback out of everyone in my store and every one of my customers are happy :) I agree there are a few idiots that work their but theres really not many left as most lost their jobs lol.

anyway back to the tv!

Yeh I thought the Hz was all in the Tv's processing just checking the cable wouldn't make a difference from the source :)

So what about the length of the cable if I was wall mounting the tv and needed about a 4m HDMI cable I heard that maybe the longer lengths would require a higher quality cable to ensure that there is enough signal strength to get it all right.

And the monster power centre's green power feature that saves electricity - anyone had any experience with this with a sky hd box ? i.e. if you schedule a recording and turn the tv off would the sky box still be completely shut off and would it be able to power back to record?

And again for the record I believe I know pretty much everything but spending a lot of money so wanted to confirm with people here and open a discussion on the subjects :) Thanks!

Cheers :)
Luke.

There is a 5m version of the cable I pointed to which has the same specs.
As to the power centre, a Sky HD box will recover fine except that if there are any schedule changes or software updates you will miss them.

£30 for a metre HDMI cable is IMO extortionate but each to his own I guess. Thats more than I paid for a perfectly functioning 10m cable.

You may as well chuck £30 down the nearest drain than buy that. I won't go into HDMI cables as it has been done to death now. One that Trollslayer linked to will do as good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom