1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top dogs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Force Field, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like most DVD collectors, I have bought my fair share of dogs! Top contenders have to be Existenz, Eye of the Beholder, The Ninth Gate and The Omega Code. What should we avoid at all costs? :confused:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Titles to avoid:

Blair Witch Project (Great disc, useless movie, and NOT original, no matter what anyone else says!)

Audition (It may be reasonably strong in gore for the BBFC to have given it an uncut 18 certificate, but there's far worse legally available, and it isn't scary, and the plot has too many false twists-and-turns at the end of the movie, that make the whole thing fall flat on its face!)

Nekromantik (Despite being a low-budget Nasty, it's just not that extreme, unless you take the whole subject as a whole!)

Anatomy (Yes, I admit that I quite like it, but most people won't. Starts off great, but ends up as just another old horror film. Franka Potente is okay in it, but she does deserve better! Shame.. this could've been sooo cool! More of a curiosity than anything else!)

The Cell (Stunning to look at, but utterly pointless, and totally derivative serial-killer movie, with almost no extras on the disc!)

I think that's enough for now....

Pooch

3. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to take issue..
    Blair Witch. Who cares how original it is? it worked for me.
    nekromantik. Why bring this up? As a message movie, its great and works a treat.
    Anyway...
    Clunkers I accidentaly own are:
    Hurly Burly (great cast. Lousy everything else.)
    Henry 2 (say no more, what was I thinking?)

4. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch, on your (sort of) recomendation I just watched Anatomy and really enjoyed.
    You are not alone...

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Karla,

Thanks for your support! Glad to know that you liked it. It's not a bad film, per se, but it isn't great either. It's just one of those movies that somehow just-about works, and keeps you just-about on the right side of "enjoyable"!

Have you seen "Run Lola Run"?! You'd love that, but get the R1 version. Then you can choose both any of the following versions:-

Widescreen, Subtitled
    Widescreen, Dubbed
    Pan & Scan, Subtitled
    Pan & Scan, Dubbed

On the R2 version, you only get the Widescreen editions, Subtitled or Dubbed. I know it's a bit petty (why would you want a Panned-&-scanned copy on DVD?), but it just makes it a little more value for money. At least no one can complain that they don't like subtitles or films with black bars at the top and bottom of their screens!

Pooch

6. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen Run, Lola, Rund and enjoyed.

People who do not like Black Bars, Subtitles etc are not welcome at my "Screenings"!

7. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oi

i liked existenz, but many people would take issue with that, love it or hate it style, with most coming down on the hate it side.

blair witch was pretty good, as was two as classic horror, but should have been disassociated with the first one really as folk expected something similarly different, i don't really want to say groundbreaking

and run lola run, never seen that, would like to though

how's about scream 3, i bought that for completion, it was absolute pish, a trained monkey could have written better, only good bit was
    'you don't think this murdr has anything to do with the movie'

'he was filming a movie called stab...he was stabbed'

i think that's slightly misquoting, but it was the ONLY good bit in the film!

Another dog was Full Metal Jacket, excellent film, but the disc was a dog, full screen, mono! I don't really know whay i bought it other than to see the film again
    , i sincerely hope it is rerelesed.

8. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...Kubrick was a bit weird about his film releases. I guess the reason that Jacket was full screen is that it was made that way and "masked" for theatrical exhibition, like "eyes wide shut"? However, the good old Zoom function on ws TV's sort of helps...Correct me if I am wrong.
    There is no excuse for mono sound though

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Avoid Armageddon like the plague - but you have probably seen it already.

10. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Now THAT comment is defintely SOK! You didn't mention ID4 though ;)

I owned The Mummy and Titanic and have since got rid of them both...... pure sh*t.

I also like Blair Witch - I didn't believe/listen to the hype before the cinema release and thought it was genuinely scary ( and still do).

11. dean richardson

dean richardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blair witch was the puppies privates !

regards the mummy, i fell asleep watching it on a plane, i fell asleep watching it on Sky, and i fell asleep watching it on DVD.

Worst film i've seen on DVD, the Hollow man. (great effects, pish poor film)

12. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

originally full screen, wierd. I don't feel so bad about it now as i have a 4:3 tv and like to see films in their original aspect ratio i'e as much of them as i can see, although in saying that, widescreen pictures are cut from i presume square film s=cells, so you lose out there as well. perhaps kubrick was giving us more of the picture or something. i don't know, he was wierd.