Top 50 best movie scores

brendan_dj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a small "heads-up"
Today (Mon 7 May) at 1pm, Classic FM will be counting down the best movie soundtracks as voted by Classic FM listeners.

Could be a very interesting radio programme.
I have set a manual-record on my Sky+. I will then capture it on to my PC then to my ipod for listening on the train going in to work.

Brendan

Thanks mate, I'm a big fan of movie scores. I bet Howard SHore will be in the top ten with his LotR soundtrack, Schindler's list will also be up there. However, The Thin Red Line is one of my favourites of recent years.

I love the music in "Contact", and also the opening sequence of "Alien" (when the camera is moving around the corridors of the Nostromo as everybody is waking up)

Nice music also in Harry Potter, (John Williams of course)

Could be a good programme. Especially for John Williams fans:thumbsup:

Can't find the programme on any of my Freeview (built in/Humax) so I guess it aint on.

Not got a radio in the house either:(

So it's either go for a drive or see if it's on the web......

edit: It's on the web:thumbsup:

I cannot find Classic on the Feeview box but luckly I can get it on the Sky box.:smashin:

Aye

Site says its on Sky/Virgin but no Freeview:thumbsdow

Would have been nice to blast it out through the system downstairs but I'm having to settle for my 2 x creative speakers on my pc:blush: :rolleyes:

So far, I am a little disappointed.
The only ones I've liked so far are:
Back to the Future
Apollo 13
Imperial March (from Empire Strikes Back)

Maybe they will get better as we get closer to #1. :rolleyes:

Its still nice background music while watching the Snooker Final.

I wished I found this earlier :(

Hans Zimmers excellent Last Samurai on now.

Some cracking numbers here and there.

Bit surprised by the placings though.

Expected a couple of JW's scores to be a lot higher. Not even a top 20 for Superman:eek: :rolleyes:

Cracking tune (633 squadron) on now:thumbsup:

LMAO @ Pirates of the Caribbean being twice as high as Raiders or Superman.:nono:

Just who was voting.

Readers of Smash hits:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Nope.

He has managed 2 (so far) entries on the Top 5 though.

Just listening to the 2nd of them. Beeeeeeeautiful.

Thanks mate, I'm a big fan of movie scores. I bet Howard SHore will be in the top ten with his LotR soundtrack, Schindler's list will also be up there.

CONGRATULATIONS:thumbsup:

Nice, but not exactly my favourite.

LOTR did indeed make it to number 1.

Top 50 now listed here

I was about to say no Braveheart in the Top 50 but it was (should have been higher though). guess I must have missed it when I popped out for 5 mins.:rolleyes:

Personal faves.

Gabriels' Oboe
Raiders
Superman
Star Wars
Gladiator

Gad they were all there.:thumbsup:

Hope I can d/l this from the site in some shape or form.

I am not surprised LOTR was number 1 as it is fantastic. MY most played soundtrack is Gladiator and both the Kills Bills. Other favourites are Saving Private Rya, Band of Brothers, Road to Perdition and Black Hawk Down.

I have to say a lot of the lower down the charts where some what boring and only the likes of The Big Country broke the sameness up. I think the theme tunes of late are not as inspired as the older ones. More or less every decent film use to have memorable theme.

Hope I can d/l this from the site in some shape or form.

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I have transfered the music to my PC and convered them to MP3 (for my Ipod)

I know I am probably breaking every single rule in the book, but send me a PM... ;)

Shame to see Thin Red Line didn't make it at all... :(

What??? No 'Once Upon a Time in America'. Morricone's finest and my personal No 1.

Thanks mate, I'm a big fan of movie scores. I bet Howard SHore will be in the top ten with his LotR soundtrack, Schindler's list will also be up there. However, The Thin Red Line is one of my favourites of recent years.

Totally agree with The Thin Red Line, The Mission is also fantastic, makes my hair stand on end even now, also The Legends of the Fall , Dances With Wolves, Braveheart Lotr trilogy and Last of the Mohichans.

Just read the list can't believe i forgot The Piano!
On another note it was film scores that started my interest in all things AV, the score and delivery of it was and still is more important to me than the visuals.

I don't own The Mission, think I'll have to go for that. Also thinking of picking up Last Samurai and Out of Africa on the basis of the list too.

I expected to see Rocky and maybe Backdraft in there, I also like Batman and 'Bishop's Countdown' from Aliens.

Theres a lot of good movie scores that I am surprised were not in the list:

Ride of the Valkyries (from Apocalypse Now)
"I'm OK to Go" (from Contact)

Why on Earth was "Chicken Run" not up there?:rolleyes:

A number of times, the announcer used the comment "This year's Top 50"
Does anybody know if this is a regular programme for May Day Bank Holiday? Maybe there will be different voters and different scores next year.

Was this by Film Score meaning the whole film or the main and end title? Although every one they played was very pleasant they certainly missed a lot of classic openers (I missed the first 20 minutes) e.g. Magnificent 7, The Great Escape, Psycho, and some of Jerry Goldsmiths like the Oscar winner The Omen, Henry Mancini's Moon River, Lalo Schifrin's Enter the Dragon.. Just glad John Williams (although I did not think JW Harry Potter one was that memorable) and John Barry's (no Bond scores?) scores a quits good.

Ah well if the lot were voted on my classical lovers than they going to pick tunes more in that vain that the get straight to it stirring, rousing stuff.

My understanding that it was the best film scores, rather than just film openers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom