1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 5 Sellers this Xmas

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Pooon, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Just had a visit from a UbiSoft rep asking me what i thought the Top 5 selling titles will be this xmas. I said:
    1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    2. Halo 2
    3. Fifa 2005
    4. Half Life 2
    5. Pro Evolution 4 / Need 4 Speed Underground 2

What do YOU think will be the best sellers?

2. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What about GT4?

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    BURNOUT 3 should sell very well :)

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    and Metroid Prime 2

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    2. Half Life 2
    3. Halo 2
    3. Burnout 3
    5. Fifa 2005

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Will it ever see the light of day this side of the new century? But yeah, if it does come out it weill sell by the bucket loads.

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ooh and tales of symphonia

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Doubt it will be a best seller, the game is quite good, but not a classic like FFVII. I have got about 15 hours into it, but haven't played it for a while as I got distracted.

I would love to see Resi Evil 4 as a best seller, according to previews it really looks like it is going to be a major development. I doubt any GC game will hit the charts for Xmas.

The charts will be dominated by PS2 games I imagine and multi-format titles.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    cheap cash-ins you mean?

10. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well from a PS2 POV then all of these will feature somewhere high up the chart in the coming months, they're all supposedly out before Christmas:

Gran Turismo 4
    GTA:San Andreas
    Silient Hill 4: The Room
    Devil May Cry 3
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
    Pro Evolution Soccer 4
    Resident Evil Outbreak
    The Getaway 2
    Tekken 5

Most of them will be on my shopping list anyway!

As for PC games the most obvious choice is Half Life 2, if it makes it on time, the other one I see being a runaway hit is The Sims 2 (does look very good I must say).

XBox I don't know much about but I'm guessing Halo 2

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    PSP and DS games would be my guess. Beyond that it's hard to say what will be released by then, if indeed those consoles have been!

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    High sales figures rarely have any relation to game quality nowadays. So my prediction for the 5 highest selling cash-ins...sorry, videogames is as follows:

GTA San Andreas
    Medal Of Honour: "Some war-thingy happened years ago so here's our completely innacurate re-telling of it"
    Halo 2 (probably the only game here that deserves its huge success this Christmas, IMO)
    Need For Speed Underground 2
    Fifa 2005

And at the bottom end of that list will be all the quality games that will sell like ****: Prince Of Persia 2, Viewtiful Joe 2, Paper Mario 2 and so on

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    what :confused:

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

gotta agree.NFS and fifa are terrible terrible games but medal of honour and GTA are classics :thumbsup: the only nintendo game with a chance is probably RESI imho.pro evo is gonna be huge ;)

pro evo4
    gta san andreas
    gt4 if its ever out
    burnout3
    champ manager

15. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The ubisoft rep did say that they do expect POP2 to be one of the top 5 selling games this xmas, not so sure myself, but as long as EA don't get a clean sweep of the boards like last year i don't care.

OT: Anyone going to that games event at London Docklands?

16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    and speaking of cashin`s isnt mario cricket out soon ?lmao.but seriously calling GTA and medal of honour and MoH cashins is just ridiculous.

17. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, maybe GTA isn't a cash-in. To be fair to Rockstar, the GTA games are very impressive but I just don't enjoy them at all. The game is a very good achievement, in terms of design and execution. I just think there are too many bugs and they have been too ambitious in the past (big cities=huge frame rate problems!)

MOH is an awful game series though (I really enjoyed the PSX original but it went so downhill after that!) I refuse to change my opinion on that :D

Resi 4 has been put back to Easter for Europe btw! :thumbsdow If there was ever a positive reason to import and say "screw you Nintendo" then this is it :laugh:

I'd love to see Halo 2 at the top of the charts but I just can't imagine it happening. It will certainly be the Xbox number 1 (and it should be) but it just can't compete with EA's multiformat sales for their yearly franchises. I hope these rumours of an EA console become true...then the other platforms can get rid of EA once and for all :clap: btw EA are beginning their special online service soon...where you pay $20 a year to play their games online :censored: I'll find the link and post it soon

18. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Everyone seems to be mentioning Resident Evil 4 for the Cube. Is this going to be the same as the PS2's RE:Outbreak? Or are they going to be independent releases based on the series? Seems a little odd that they would make two different versions of the same game at once!

19. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    RE4 is a full sequel to the story. Outbreak is a side story that basically has very little to do with the game series - the big appeal of Outbreak is that it is an online game...except the online mode has been removed from the European version :laugh: :thumbsdow

20. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    Dont forget The Sims 2 is out as well. Probably going to be a huge seller because all the casual gamers buy it - it would be my tip for number 1!

Multi-format games do well, because some charts just dump all formats together, so Burnout 3 and Star Wars: Battlefront could do well. Halo 2 for number 1 Xbox game, while GTA:SA and Killzone for PS2 1 and 2. There's still way more PS2s than other consoles, so i expect Xbox and GC titles to only make the bottom of the top 10 by sales, if that.

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Hehe, Mario Tennis is out soon and that should rock :)

The more I read of Resi Evil 4 the better it gets, esp as Games TM awarded it the best AI seen at E3.

And yes I have it on pre-order for import, buying a US Cube was the best console I have bought (well nearly better than my SNES).

MOH:AA on the PC was pretty good I thought, the rest of the series is pap, it just demonstrates that the developers weren't happy, seen as most of them walked off created their own team and made Call of Duty.

22. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    what was the name of the tennis game on the SNES? that was awesome.i remember playing that for hoursi really liked MOH on the pc but just coulfnt play it in on consoles but i still dont think apart from call of duty there is a game quite like it for the feel and almost realism.i would much rather play MOH call of duty etc then the likes of doom 3 and painkiller.gotta agree the more i see resi the more im tempted to pick up a cube.

23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Super Smash Tennis and that simply was the best tennis game ever, no fancy 3D graphics, just pure gameplay. I loved it :)

I imagine Resi 4 will come out on PS2 and maybe even X-Box within a year, I can't see Nintendo being able to keep exclusive for long. We have already seen Viewtiful Joe go to PS2, Capcom simply cannot be happy producing these amazing games and not making much profit off them.

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    yep gotta admit that was one hell of a tennis game and i think the only tennis game that has kept me even remotely as interested as that was virtua tennis on the dreamcast.do you think mario tennis will be super smash tennins with mario characters? if so :) i would love to hear resi in full 5.1 it would be awesome absolutely awesome.

25. rank1

rank1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. Grand theft auto sa
    2. NFS Underground 2
    3. Gran turismo 4
    4. WWE Smackdown vs Raw
    5. Burnout 3

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Not sure what you are on about with GT4 ever seeing the light of day "IamThe One". It hasn't slipped from a release date yet. PD have issued a release date of late October 04 and they have never released a date prior to this.

GT4 will be released later this year and as you say ...it will sell by the bucket loads!

The other games I think will sell well are :

Half Life 2
    Halo 2
    PES4
    GTA:San Andreas
    Sims2
    Star Wars Battlefront
    NFSU2
    Burnout3

Hopefully the entire population now actually knows that FIFA is S**T and will not buy it in favour of WE8 or PES4. Although surely there will still be some dullards that will still buy EA's offering - that's life I guess!

Regarding Super Tennis on the SNES - still one of the best multi player experiences going! I love that game, the feel is just right! Virtua Tennis, topspin pah!! pure pretenders!! Super Tennis stuffs them all!!

EDIT: I agree Sinzer - I bet Capcom already have a Resi 4 version for the PS2 made and ready for release once the GC version sells sod all - It reminds me of Resi Code Veronica, exclusive to the DC!

27. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think its best to look at each system individualy and then take the top 3 form each system.

PC, XBox, GC, PS2, GBA
    (dont forget the best selling system ever!)

DS, PSP, and mobile gaming. (cell phones)

Then look at new xmas releases, those should be the top selling titles!

28. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wasnt it just called "super tennis"?

29. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Yes I think you are right :p

Super Smash Tennis was the follow-up game, both got plenty of play time :)

30. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The easiest way of looking at this is to guess which games will be the top sellers on each format.

PC - The Sims 2
    Xbox - Halo 2
    PS2 - GTA: San Andreas
    GameCube: Metroid Prime 2

All of these games will no doubt be stunning but a great game does not always top the charts and that may be the case come Christmas. It could always end up being some crappy cash-in like a Pop Idol type game.

I personally think that the number 1 slot is difficult to guess this year as all the top games have the potential. Out of the 4 I mentioned I would put the following odds on the Xmas crown:

The Sims 2 : 2/1 - Could well top the charts considering it's the sequel to the best selling game of all time and all those fans have been waiting for this for ages.

Halo 2 : 3/1 - If this turns out to be superior to the original it will sell by the bucket load. Don't forget it has the largest attach rate of any console game (Around 95% of Xbox owners have it). If everyone with an Xbox and Halo buys it, it would surely take the title.

GTA San Andreas : 2/1 - The favourite and the fact it is the 3rd next-gen GTA means it has an established fan base. However, this could work for and against it. People who love GTA will snap it up but some people will be getting bored of it, especially if there are few new features. This is unlikely though (ie. people always buy FIFA)

Metroid Prime 2 : 10/1 - Will probably be an amazing game but GameCube is the outside console and therefore there is little chance this will make number 1. Still, you never know, it might be really, really good (like the original Halo) and therefore shift loads of GameCubes which at only £75, would be within anyone's budget.

Other possibilities include Pro Evolution 4 and FIFA 2004 but they will only appeal to football fans. Being a fan of obscure games, I'd like to see something like Animal Crossing getting to number 1 but it won't happen (at least not on multi-format).