Top 3 :-)

Teppid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using my PS3 for far to long now and will be buying a blu ray player.

So..

1) If money was no object what is the best player on the market currently?
2) What is the best mid range?
3) and what is the best under £300

Also how much of a diffrence is top range to low range? eg. will i have better quality HD sound even if i still run it through my Onkyo or is the diffrence small? I assume picture quality may get better??

sorry for the questions but i have money burning a hole (bonus time :) ) and going to buy something today.

Thank you

Tepp

Hello,

I have been using my PS3 for far to long now and will be buying a blu ray player.

So..

1) If money was no object what is the best player on the market currently?
2) What is the best mid range?
3) and what is the best under £300

Also how much of a diffrence is top range to low range? eg. will i have better quality HD sound even if i still run it through my Onkyo or is the diffrence small? I assume picture quality may get better??

sorry for the questions but i have money burning a hole (bonus time :) ) and going to buy something today.

Thank you

Tepp

It really comes down to how you define better and what aspects of performance/features are important to you.

Usually on more expensive players a significant amount of spend goes into the analogue audio stage. Some effectively integrate some function of an AVR in to the player to provide DSP that can't usually be performed by the AVR with a MC analogue input. The other things about audio is that "better" is highly subjective. Sometimes the perception of better is influenced by preconception based on cost, band, technical expectation etc i.e. you expect it to be better so it is.

Unlike audio video has a number of objectively measurable reproduction standards. What you may find is that more expensive products allow you to manipulate the image to produce a more subjectively pleasing image. That doesn't mean it's more accurate or of higher quality but simply different.

If you're planning to use HDMI output then the difference between the calibrated image from a player costing £300 may appear the same as a player costing £4000 for 1080p/24 Blu-ray. Depending on The difference the default level of post processing it is possible to "create" difference.

AVI

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom