1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 3 considerations for newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richieg1314, Dec 20, 2004.

1. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would people think are the top 3 considerations when comparing plasmas and deciding which to buy. Is 3 things too small?
    Can you pick the best based on specs or do you need to really see them working and even fiddle with settings to make a real decision?

2. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have spent the last 3 months looking at what is available in todays market before i bought my first plasma

I went around the local currys, comet etc and found that these places were a waste of time as no salesperson i spoke to seemed to be clued up on their products, you really need to see one set similar to how yours will be set up.

I think the 3 most important things to look for are

Picture quality
    Price
    Proven...(Have they been consistant in supplying quality products and are the buyers happy over a reasonable lenght of time)

With this info i bought my plasm last week and i went for the Panasonic Pw6 42 "

Picture.....is outstanding, absolutly superb

Price.......£1566 inc vat and came with wall bracket and vga sync cable

Proven.....From my research I found Panasonic to be the leaders in this field, they supply plasmas that last.

Hope this helps

3. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My top 3 would be :

1) Picture Quality - What does the picture look like? Eg contrast, colour banding, brightness, natural skin tones etc. A lot of this is personal preference, so view before you buy.

2) Resolution - do you want a standard definition screen (eg 852x480) or do you want to pay more for a high definition screen (eg 1024x768)?

3) Connections - some plasmas have all their connections built in, whereas others can be upgraded with extra display boards. Do you want an HDMI or DVI slot? Or will a component connection be enough for you? Do you need a scart connection?

I deliberately haven't given you any recommendations here - I'm sure other people will do that! But whatever you choose, you need to consider the things I've listed above.

Hope this helps,

Chris

4. richieg1314

richieg1314

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to resolution does the higher res impact the viewing of DVD/sky or will this only come into effect when HDTV comes online?
    just to make you guys in the uk feel good If I buy a panasonic viera here in Ireland it will cost me 4500 euro, that's £3110. I am considering a samsung I seen in curry's for 2500 euro, PS42D4 which looks pretty good value and based on the connection seems comparable to other screens there.