Top 3 considerations for newbie

R

richieg1314

What would people think are the top 3 considerations when comparing plasmas and deciding which to buy. Is 3 things too small?
Can you pick the best based on specs or do you need to really see them working and even fiddle with settings to make a real decision?

I have spent the last 3 months looking at what is available in todays market before i bought my first plasma

I went around the local currys, comet etc and found that these places were a waste of time as no salesperson i spoke to seemed to be clued up on their products, you really need to see one set similar to how yours will be set up.

I think the 3 most important things to look for are

Picture quality
Price
Proven...(Have they been consistant in supplying quality products and are the buyers happy over a reasonable lenght of time)

With this info i bought my plasm last week and i went for the Panasonic Pw6 42 "

Picture.....is outstanding, absolutly superb

Price.......£1566 inc vat and came with wall bracket and vga sync cable

Proven.....From my research I found Panasonic to be the leaders in this field, they supply plasmas that last.

Hope this helps

My top 3 would be :

1) Picture Quality - What does the picture look like? Eg contrast, colour banding, brightness, natural skin tones etc. A lot of this is personal preference, so view before you buy.

2) Resolution - do you want a standard definition screen (eg 852x480) or do you want to pay more for a high definition screen (eg 1024x768)?

3) Connections - some plasmas have all their connections built in, whereas others can be upgraded with extra display boards. Do you want an HDMI or DVI slot? Or will a component connection be enough for you? Do you need a scart connection?

I deliberately haven't given you any recommendations here - I'm sure other people will do that! But whatever you choose, you need to consider the things I've listed above.

Hope this helps,

Chris

With regard to resolution does the higher res impact the viewing of DVD/sky or will this only come into effect when HDTV comes online?
just to make you guys in the uk feel good If I buy a panasonic viera here in Ireland it will cost me 4500 euro, that's £3110. I am considering a samsung I seen in curry's for 2500 euro, PS42D4 which looks pretty good value and based on the connection seems comparable to other screens there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom