Top 20 Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 - news discussion

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Good list.
I just can’t see past The Batman at all. It looks incredible imo.
Never ever liked Top Gun, but Mission Impossible will scratch the cruiser itch. And I’ve read lots of positive stuff about The Black Phone.

Great article. I have not watched any of the trailers (not even Top gun) and there were quite a few on there that I have not heard of.
It will be interesting to compare predicted scores with the actual ones once they come out.

The bottom half looks way, way more interesting that the top half of the list. Some stuff there I didn't know was coming, and I'm always up for a new Kitano movie. All the kids' costume movies I'll gladly skip.

Surprised by the low score & ranking of The Batman, it is simply the only film I really want to see in 2022!

“the only actor who has ever managed to win an Oscar for playing a DC comic book character, the immensely talented Joaquin Phoenix” - Wasn’t Heath Ledger also awarded an Oscar (albeit posthumously)?

Can't get excited at all for Disappointment Blvd with that logline. Way too many Marvel movies in there for my liking too. I seem to disagree with you guys almost every week :laugh:

My top 20 most anticipated for 2022:

1. Nope
2. Resurrection
3. Mission Impossible 7
4. Knives Out 2
5. The Northman
6. The Batman
7. The Menu
8. Jurassic World: Dominion
9. The Gray Man
10. Havoc
11. Don't Worry Darling
12. The Killer
13. Killers of the Flower Moon
14. Bullet Train
15. The Black Phone
16. All the Old Knives
17. Watcher
18. Sharper
19. Everything Everywhere All At Once
20. X

Last edited:
“the only actor who has ever managed to win an Oscar for playing a DC comic book character, the immensely talented Joaquin Phoenix” - Wasn’t Heath Ledger also awarded an Oscar (albeit posthumously)?
Yeah, I had the same thought while reading it.

As for the list, I am more interested in the Northman than anything else on it. I will still watch (and probably enjoy) Thor, Spidey and Strange (and maybe The Batman), but the superhero fatigue is starting to kick in for me. Oh, and well done for leaving Avatar 2 off the list. :D

Nice breakdown Cas.

In Cruise We Trust, others, well make your own mind up. Looking forward to both of his movies. Dr Strange and The Bat movie yes please, but I for one have found the studio’s penchant for the increased plethora of superhero franchise flicks dull, repetitive and predictable. Oh a new Marvel et al coming out, well good luck with that detritus. IMHO they rely too much on this genre and as you can tell, I don’t buy into this stuff. Each to their own.

Oh another year has arrived. I wonder if cinematically most of the really great stories have already been written and turned into movies. Perhaps why we have dial in performances from the likes of Willis and co, in a long line of general movie disappointments.

I wish they would sort out who is to be the next Bond.

Top Gun: Maverick at No.1

This guy knows :D

Good list there Cas. The entire forum knows by now I'll lose the plot for new Top Gun, I just can't believe I've not been allowed to watch it yet!

I am really looking forward to The Batman as well. Dr. Strange too off the back of No Way Home.

The Black Phone
has also piqued my interest, after initially not being too fussed.

I’m another who will probably prefer the non-mainstream ones on that list! I don’t think we need another MI, and the superhero stuff will be more of the same.
I really hope Top Gun 2 will be great, but I think it’s best going into that with realistic expectations, and then being pleasantly surprised. The original is a classic, obviously, but it’s a cheesy, bombastic 80s classic. It’ll be interesting to see how they bring it into the 2020’s. (I feel Bill & Ted FTM failed in that respect. It was just more of the same.).

Maverick hype is real.

Possibly my most anticipated film of all time and the delays have been absolutely relentless. Also as a Mission Impossible fan, it's made worse that those films get delayed when Maverick gets delayed.

At the end of the day though, I'm just glad these films are coming.

Love a good viking flick so I'm all in for The Northman !

Also do we really need another Batman origins movie ? I thought the Nolan trilogy already put that debate to bed !

I find myself slightly perplexed by the excitement for Top Gun 2. The first film was a serious load of old bobbins. Having said that if they pull a Cobra Kai and take something rubbish from the 80's and make it better then it could be an enjoyable watch. Of the Tom cruise films coming out this year I have much higher hopes for the next Mission Impossible film.

Also do we really need another Batman origins movie ? I thought the Nolan trilogy already put that debate to bed !
It's not an origin film?
It's Year Two.

Nice breakdown Cas.

In Cruise We Trust, others, well make your own mind up. Looking forward to both of his movies. Dr Strange and The Bat movie yes please, but I for one have found the studio’s penchant for the increased plethora of superhero franchise flicks dull, repetitive and predictable. Oh a new Marvel et al coming out, well good luck with that detritus. IMHO they rely too much on this genre and as you can tell, I don’t buy into this stuff. Each to their own.

Oh another year has arrived. I wonder if cinematically most of the really great stories have already been written and turned into movies. Perhaps why we have dial in performances from the likes of Willis and co, in a long line of general movie disappointments.

I wish they would sort out who is to be the next Bond.
@Steve Stifler "In Cruise We Trust" I like it !!!

The wife is waiting for this one and has been watching the trailers, I hope the sound mix is good as they have some scope to do something great !!!

I might, if I have to, watch it... You know twisted arm and everything !

Nicely mixed list! Looking forward to most of these in particular The Batman, all the Marvel stuff (especially Across the Spider-Verse), The Killer, Nope, Neck and Disappointment Blvd. Avatar 2 does nothing for me - it's been too long since the first film which was amazing on first watch in 3D at the cinema, but very average on rewatch. Great that we have new films from Ari Aster, Robert Eggers and Jordan Peele this year!

To date, James Cameron has only made two sequels: Aliens and Terminator 2.

I wouldn't bet against him.

It's popular to trash Avatar. But sitting in a London IMAX 3D screen back in 2009 and watching Sam Worthington float around weightless as the film started is still one of my most memorable cinema experiences I've ever had.

I've got Avatar high on my list. Despite the narrative weakness of the first one, its a technological colossus and I cant wait to revisit that world and see what wonders Jim has in store for us. Its sure to be mind-blowing.

Looking forward to everything on that list. Should be a highly eventful year.

I've got Avatar high on my list. Despite the narrative weakness of the first one, its a technological colossus and I cant wait to revisit that world and see what wonders Jim has in store for us. Its sure to be mind-blowing.

Looking forward to everything on that list. Should be a highly eventful year.

I'll take a look, but I can't say I've any interest in the story. However you are right with regards what Cameron brings to the table. It's been 13 years as well.

Do you also remember when our golden day went up in smoke? Tenet and Top Gun Maverick?

I've never got over it :laugh:

I'll take a look, but I can't say I've any interest in the story. However you are right with regards what Cameron brings to the table. It's been 13 years as well.

Do you also remember when our golden day went up in smoke? Tenet and Top Gun Maverick?

I've never got over it :laugh:

We held a vigil for you that day.

I'm thinking of setting up a helpline if the cinemas close when Top Gun hits :(:laugh:

The Northman, MI7 and Mav probably my 3 picks from those 20.

Bit hit and miss with the Director of the Northman but at least it's something a tad different.

MI films can do no wrong and Mav, even though it may end up a heavy cheese fest like the original, just for the spectacle (real planes) of it all.

MI7 and Mav 100% cinema visits no matter what. The rest i'll await forum feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom