Top 10 Studio Ghibli Films Available on Netflix - article discussion

Have you got a blindspot for Howl's Moving Castle or did you just miss it by mistake? Seriously....that's probably in many' people's top 10 movies, never mind the "Top 10 Studio Ghibli movies on Netflix"!

Wonky, naff animations aside, I really respect these films. I cant get through any of them though, they're like childhood flu dreams.

Spirited Away is creepier than any horror I can remember seeing as an adult...

Wonky, naff animations aside...

GO.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
THESE MOVIES HAVE BEEN THROTTLED BY NETFLIX. AS LOW AS 0.38Mbps. YOU CAN SEE THE ARTEFACTS CLEARLY IN THIS COMPRESSION. NOT WORTH WATCHING UNLESS NETFLIX INCREASES BANDWIDTH TO NORMAL.

1. Stage a protest - scratch that we can't go out
2. Complain to Netflix - oh, they don't care
3. Find every forum thread where the word Netflix is mentioned and write about it in BOLD AND CAPITALS. Bingo, we have a winner!

THESE MOVIES HAVE BEEN THROTTLED BY NETFLIX. AS LOW AS 0.38Mbps. YOU CAN SEE THE ARTEFACTS CLEARLY IN THIS COMPRESSION. NOT WORTH WATCHING UNLESS NETFLIX INCREASES BANDWIDTH TO NORMAL.

They look FINE TO ME. For a first watch anyway. Any serious enthusiast will no doubt get them on blu ray.

3. Find every forum thread where the word Netflix is mentioned and write about it in BOLD AND CAPITALS. Bingo, we have a winner!
DON'T FORGET TO ADD " !! " AT THE END OF EACH SENTENCE!!

Have you got a blindspot for Howl's Moving Castle or did you just miss it by mistake? Seriously....that's probably in many' people's top 10 movies, never mind the "Top 10 Studio Ghibli movies on Netflix"!
Great recommendation.
Howl is absolutely great and the book it's based on was one I loved when I was younger.
Hopefully if people like the look of the more fantasy leaning films in the list they'll seek it out.

A surprising order for me when I first read it - Laputa at nine! Sacrilege! - but it seems an order written by someone who has seen all the films and loved each one. I'm not actually fond of Howl either and agree totally with Nausicaa being in first place. I would have put Laputa higher, but I still haven't seen the whole Ghibli catalogue (there's a project for us now that we have nowhere to go :)). Here in France, we have Grave of the Fireflies like Portugal but, as you say, it's such a gut-wrenching film I'm not sure I can bear to watch it again...

B

You missed '4':

Downgrade your Netflix subscription temporarily so you're not funding Netlix's greed.

Principle etc...

C'mon, they're basically Dogtanion and the Three Musketeers...just with beautiful matte paintings.. ;)

in all seriousness, I genuinely don't understand why some of the animations get a pass. From what I've seen of the Ghibli stuff, they're frequently stunning, from both a conceptual and an aesthetic level. I just don't get why the characters are often so primitively drawn and animated.

Really not trolling, just always been curious...

C'mon, they're basically Dogtanion and the Three Musketeers...just with beautiful matte paintings.. ;)

in all seriousness, I genuinely don't understand why some of the animations get a pass. From what I've seen of the Ghibli stuff, they're frequently stunning, from both a conceptual and an aesthetic level. I just don't get why the characters are often so primitively drawn and animated.

Really not trolling, just always been curious...
I think if you're viewing through the lens of the modality that is a result of the way that western animation has evolved then it might end up appearing to look 'bad'. But it's less that it's badly animated and more that it is animated purposefully in that way to meet a different aesthetic goal.

It's an aesthetic goal which has evolved in parallel to western animation has it's own historical routes in centuries of manga just like our animation style pulls from our own art history. If you can tune into it then you'll probably suddenly find you're on board.
If you can't then you certainly won't be the only person in the world who feels that way!

(Also: some anime, for sure, is absolutely pumped out by factories and it shows. There are some particularly egregious stills of the later seasons of Seven Deadly Sins currently doing the rounds online. But there's an awful lot of western animation notorious for similar things - think repeating backgrounds in Flintstones and Scooby Doo)

Article quote:
“People who have complained about these moves to downgrade the quality of streaming services have been accused by some of selfishly caring more about how good their streamed picture quality looks than the horrors of the Coronavirus pandemic.

In reality, though, the issue here - at least as things stand at the time of writing - is not about self-entitled video fans. Rather it’s about the apparent power of one EU commissioner with seemingly questionable levels of technical knowledge (it’s notable that Breton talked of switching HD to SD, with no mention of switching, say, 4K to HD) to be able to cause a reduction in the quality of paid-for entertainment services across an entire continent with apparently little if any actual justification or scrutiny.”

Article quote:
“People who have complained about these moves to downgrade the quality of streaming services have been accused by some of selfishly caring more about how good their streamed picture quality looks than the horrors of the Coronavirus pandemic.

In reality, though, the issue here - at least as things stand at the time of writing - is not about self-entitled video fans. Rather it’s about the apparent power of one EU commissioner with seemingly questionable levels of technical knowledge (it’s notable that Breton talked of switching HD to SD, with no mention of switching, say, 4K to HD) to be able to cause a reduction in the quality of paid-for entertainment services across an entire continent with apparently little if any actual justification or scrutiny.”

Take it over here, buddy.

I think if you're viewing through the lens of the modality that is a result of the way that western animation has evolved then it might end up appearing to look 'bad'. But it's less that it's badly animated and more that it is animated purposefully in that way to meet a different aesthetic goal.

It's an aesthetic goal which has evolved in parallel to western animation has it's own historical routes in centuries of manga just like our animation style pulls from our own art history. If you can tune into it then you'll probably suddenly find you're on board.
If you can't then you certainly won't be the only person in the world who feels that way!

(Also: some anime, for sure, is absolutely pumped out by factories and it shows. There are some particularly egregious stills of the later seasons of Seven Deadly Sins currently doing the rounds online. But there's an awful lot of western animation notorious for similar things - think repeating backgrounds in Flintstones and Scooby Doo)

Thank you Tom, that is easily the best, most succinct explanation I've come across.

That absolutely changes my perspective. I'm glad to have been educated. Thanks again 👍

All fantastic of course, but Spirited Away is one of the all time great films. And would be number 1 for me here. It really rewards rewatches. Small character interactions, and little background details are such a joy. I love it!

Do you guys in this thread watch the Ghibli films in their original Japanese or dubbed - do you speak Japanese (日本語分かりますか)

B

The Ghibli films usually have very high quality dubs. With a star voice cast as well.

Sure. I watch everything in the original version, I hate dubs. It's different in animation in that you don't have the mouth/sound mismatch, but even so.

B

The first Studio Ghibli film I ever saw was Ponyo. I took my daughter to see it at the cinema, she was about 4 or 5 at the time, without knowing anything about the film. I was absolutely bowled over by it and thought it was quite wonderful. These films were a treat for the family as my daughter grew up. When I look back on the films I saw with her when she was little, (that in itself is emotional), I remember these with great affection.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom