Top 10 Studio Ghibli Films Available on Netflix - article discussion

I understand why. Even though it's really good, it does rather tail off with no real ending.

Here too, it's so sweet :)

B

Don't post in large bold capital letters again please. I'll just delete the whole post next time.

I started to watch the film that came no. 1 but couldn't get into it. I was rather perturbed by the fact that the young lass with large boobs didn't appear to be wearing any kecks beneath her incredibly short skirt. I will maybe give it another go and watch it with the rest of the family. Step daughter loves ghibli and knew which one is was as soon as she entered the room.

I started to watch the film that came no. 1 but couldn't get into it. I was rather perturbed by the fact that the young lass with large boobs didn't appear to be wearing any kecks beneath her incredibly short skirt. I will maybe give it another go and watch it with the rest of the family. Step daughter loves ghibli and knew which one is was as soon as she entered the room.
She's wearing tan colours leggings. It's clearer later on, but in the 1st scene I thought she was in the buff waist down too.

Do you guys in this thread watch the Ghibli films in their original Japanese or dubbed - do you speak Japanese (日本語分かりますか)

B

I watch all movies in their original language with English subs.
I must admit though I first watched Princess Mononoke in dubbed English (I did not have access to the original at the time), and it was quite enjoyable (good cast).

Grave of the Fireflies - "one of the most viscerally upsetting films ever made"

Oh dear, it's on my unwatched pile, this is not helping me build up the courage to watch it!

I agree with Tom on pretty much everything. I think he's my movie mind-double. No different here. This list matches my thoughts exactly.

I watch all movies in their original language with English subs.
That's the only way I would watch them. Any other way would be like watching those kung-fu movies with those awful English dubs... Ugh.

Absolutely love studio ghibli productions
As you may be able to tell, I would place MNT at number 1.

That's the only way I would watch them. Any other way would be like watching those kung-fu movies with those awful English dubs... Ugh.
To be fair, the English Dubs of Ghibli movies are decent - I actually prefer it on some Ghibli movies, such as Howls Moving Castle. They have very good voice actors which are nothing like old kung fu dubs with english guys trying to do a high pitched comedy chinese accent.

Only Yesterday (watched for the first time the other week) really struck a chord with me. I felt the conflict of the main character, trying to figure out how to move forward in life but constantly being preoccupied by the past, comparing it to every present day with rose tinted glasses on.

Hard to take them off these days too.

On a more positive note the art work is incredible, sublime and will impress for decades to come I'm sure!

To be fair, the English Dubs of Ghibli movies are decent - I actually prefer it on some Ghibli movies, such as Howls Moving Castle. They have very good voice actors which are nothing like old kung fu dubs with english guys trying to do a high pitched comedy chinese accent.
I suppose they are decent, but I've always viewed it as a disservice to not watch a foreign film in its native language. You can't pick up inflection or tone with a dub.

I suppose they are decent, but I've always viewed it as a disservice to not watch a foreign film in its native language. You can't pick up inflection or tone with a dub.
Normally I agree 100%, especially with live action.

Credit has to be given to Joe Hisaishi's score on most of these films - absolutely stunning

Every Ghibli fan's Top 10 will be different, but the omission of How's Moving Castle almost feels like a personal insult :D. I would have this in place of Ponyo which i've never been that fond of.

Laputa was the first Ghibli film I ever saw so it will always have a special place in my heart

There's a great phrase that does the rounds and goes something like "Disney for the heart, Ghibli for the soul" which i really like

We're watching Whisper of the Heart (over several days), and enjoying it. It's not a film I had even heard of, so thank you AVForum. We are going to watch our way through the top ten to see how we agree with your choices :)

B

Totally agree with the comment about Grave of the Fireflies. Hauntingly brilliant. Too bad it is not in the Netflix list.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Whisper of the Heart is in there but including Tale of the Princess Kaguya and not Howl's Moving Castle is madness.

Yeah, but the list will never please everyone - I would have put Laputa higher personally, and I really don't like Howl much.

B

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom