Top 10 Starz Original TV Shows - article discussion

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I’ve watched Mr Mercedes to about midway through season 2. Just found it too jarring the way it changes from serious detective drama in the first season to supernatural thriller in the second. It’s just too weird a change. Season one was good, though.

I did try Spartacus, but it all seems a bit cheap and flimsy? Couldn't finish one episode. I guess I should give it a second chance.

Doom Patrol is crazy good. One of the most out there TV creations ever. Perpetual Grace Ltd is by the same writing (and mostly acting) team as Patriot, so if you like that, definitely try it. If you don’t like Patriot you probably won’t like PGL.

Pennyworth I can’t bring myself to watch. I just find the entire concept of a series exclusively focusing on Batman’s butler completely ridiculous. I just don’t think there’s any getting around that for me.

I managed about six episodes of Counterpart, but it just didn’t hit the spot for me. I would say too slow but I’m not sure that’s it. I just finished and loved Tales From The Loop and that is the definition of slow. No, I think it’s more like too little actually taking place in the allotted time. Vacuous. Not my tempo.

I’ve watched both seasons of Castle Rock. Both have strengths, but I would’t award either more than a 7/10. Watchable, but nothing to write home about.

Haven’t seen any of the others.

Last edited:
Agree about Mr Mercedes. I know it’s Stephen King, but season 2 was just such a change from the first.

Just started season 3 which is supposed to be better and more like the first.

Spartacus is so bonkers. I really enjoyed it. It's like a low brow version of Rome... actually it's not that much more low brow than Rome thinking about it!

I just find the entire concept of a series exclusively focusing on Batman’s butler completely ridiculous. I just don’t think there’s any getting around that for me.
We are in the same boat here. If you've seen Teen Titans Go! To The Movies there's a super fun bit in that where they have to sit and watch a trailer for a spin-off origins movie about Batman's utility belt. I feel sort of similarly about Pennyworth.

Power is worth a go, if it's available. It's up for grabs on Netflix.

Clem

I've never watched Counterpart, but from that synopsis, it sounds like its plagiarised quite a bit from Fringe.

The first season or two of Spartacus was good, but then matey dies IRL after that it goes down the pan fast.

Agree about Mr Mercedes. I know it’s Stephen King, but season 2 was just such a change from the first.

Just started season 3 which is supposed to be better and more like the first.
The books were the same. Third book was more in line with the first. Not sure if the show follows suit

I am a few episodes into Doom Patrol. I had my reservations, (yet another DC canon etc). But I have to say... This is pretty good so far!

There's dysfunctional and then there's this. Much like the recent Swamp Thing, has its target set on mature audiences. As already mentioned - it's certainly out there.

Worth the £1 trial offer for this alone... But I might be struggling on what to watch next. I'll see if I'll keep the subscription past this. Castle Rock or Pennyworth perhaps... But not sure I can take the latter seriously after the teen titans go comment above!

Counterpart is for my money one of the best tv series ever made. Utterly fabulous. Highly relevant to our current viral times. Incredible drama.

I almost missed out on this offer, only signed up yesterday and have only watched one episode of Perpetual Grace so far.
This list is exactly what I need until I find my way round Starz.
Thank you @Casimir Harlow

Counterpart is for my money one of the best tv series ever made. Utterly fabulous. Highly relevant to our current viral times. Incredible drama.
Truly excellent show that I’d watched under a previous trial but now nothing much else tickles my fancy. But I just signed up anyway since this 99p trial offer is so good. Will have a look at the suggestions and root around this weekend.

The first season or two of Spartacus was good, but then matey dies IRL after that it goes down the pan fast.
Couldn't agree more. RIP Andy Whitfield.

The last two episodes of S01 are especially good. It's really disappointing about the quality from S03 onwards.

May not count as I believe it is on Amazon Prime but it is still a Starz Production... Black Sails is amazing. Pirates done right.

All I will say is that as with almost every show these days you have to give it a few episodes to really get into, then it just gets better and better.

I'm in the US and very few of these are available on Starz. :(

May not count as I believe it is on Amazon Prime but it is still a Starz Production... Black Sails is amazing. Pirates done right.

All I will say is that as with almost every show these days you have to give it a few episodes to really get into, then it just gets better and better.
You know I totally agree with you. Funny thing is most I know gave up on it early and called it a disappointment. Their loss.

Another thumbs up for Black Sails. Takes a few episodes to get going, but it's a very well done show with some memorable characters, and a fair few moving moments.
And it has a proper ending.
Unfortunately there's far too much gratuitous nudity for my liking :D

Castle Rock season 1 is superb! Mr Mercedes season 1 & 2 are also very good.

Four episodes into Castle Rock, it’s not really grabbed me yet, but I’ll see it through.

Thought Mr Mercedes first season was decent, didn’t like the direction they took in two.

Three was better than two, but nothing special.

Spartacus is superb and an absolute blast. I'm enjoying Black Sails but had been told Season 1 is a slow burn (it is) and Season 2 onwards is excellent. Pennyworth and Doom Patrol also great.

I'd agree with this. I can see why some find the pace a little slow, but it's the best sci-fi since Man in the High Castle for me (arguable better, but I'm only 5 episodes into s1). It has added weight given the recent Covid outbreak. Brilliant.

Can't believe Ash vs Evil Dead didn't get a big "Hail to the King baby!" 😢

Godfather of Harlem turned out to be a stunner with season 2 due soon. No punches pulled and a nice look at 60s American society with a stellar cast. Worth the entrance fee to me and based on a number of real life characters though a fictionalised drama in the main.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom