Top 10 Reasons to Buy Blu-ray and HD DVD

C

clmck

It's no secret HD DVD and Blu-ray deliver excellent quality for those seeking more high-definition viewing. But which way should you go? It's an important decision for the mainstream consumer. No one wants to select a format, and then see it and their money gone in 6 months. The folks over at the HD DVD Promotion Group and Blu-ray Disc Association each provided ten reasons why you should go with their format. Let's start with HD-DVD.

1. HD DVD offers the high-definition experience at the most affordable price—this holiday season HD DVD players start under $200 with seven free movies.

2. HD DVD boasts six times the resolution and pristine audio quality (up to 7.1 surround sound) compared with standard DVD.

3. A superior audio experience is guaranteed on every HD DVD player because of the format's mandatory support for next-generation audio technology including Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. Even if your current home theater sound system doesn't support the new audio technologies, you'll still get the best quality audio experience on it because any HD DVD player can decode these codecs.

4. All HD DVD movies are encoded at 1080p so you can enjoy them on any 1080p HDTV or projector, even if you own a 1080i HD DVD player. How? Because the de-interlacing process that produces the “full HD” 1080p picture quality of the source content is handled by the HDTV, rather than inside the player.

5. For gamers, Xbox 360 offers an affordable HD DVD player addition that can be found for as low $169, with at least six free HD DVD movies—one in the box and a mail-in offer for five free flicks.

As for the Blu-ray argument....

1. Today's best movies - With support from the 6 of the 8 major Hollywood studios, the biggest hits are on Blu-ray. Through October 2007, 19 of the year's 20 best selling high definition movie titles are available on Blu-ray Disc - the majority of them available in high definition only on Blu-ray Disc. Titles such as 300, the Harry Potter Series, the Matrix Trilogy are just some of the titles currently available or coming soon to Blu-ray Disc. And, titles such as the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, the Spiderman Trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Cars and Ratatouille are available in high definition only on Blu-ray Disc.

2. The broadest range in player options - The biggest names in consumer electronics, particularly in DVD and HDTV - Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp and Sony - all support Blu-ray Disc, giving consumers a range of hardware choices from their favorite brands. HP, Acer, Sony VAIO, Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer offer consumers an array of desktop, notebook and computer drive choices.

3. Every Blu-ray Disc player delivers full 1080p picture quality, the benchmark for high definition.

4. Blu-ray delivers the best possible picture quality of any high definition source. Because of its superior storage capacity (50GB - 6 times more than dual-layer DVD), Blu-ray Disc can use higher bit rates, which allows pristine video, uncompromised audio quality, and compelling interactive features.

Top 10 reasons to buy Blu-ray & HD DVD:

The Bourne Trilogy
Casablanca
Hot Fuzz
Inside Man
Blood Diamond
Blade Runner
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Few Good Men
Identity
Pixar Shorts Collection Volume 1

:thumbsup:

Other reasons would include:

- Because any picture on SD DVD above 40" looks at least a little soft (the bigger, the softer);
- The players are far cheaper at that stage than SD DVD was in the first 2 years;
- If you shop around, most discs can be had at a pretty reasonable price, too;
- You know the PS2 was a crap DVD player? The PS3 is a superb BD player;
- "£180 for an HD-E30? Plus how many free films?"

Steve W

Moved to the main HD forum as concerns both formats

:D one of the better bits of propaganda I've read recently.. ;)

It seems for many though the players are now more important than the format. :cool:

1) Better picture quality
2) Better sound quality

hmm.. cant think of any others..

Those are the only two that matter fella :thumbsup:

1) Better picture quality
2) Better sound quality

hmm.. cant think of any others..

3) Smaller Case

what other reasons do you need.

Would be nice:
4) and at £5.00 a throw what a bargain

Scott

Another good reason to buy a HD player is that upscaling on most HD players are better than the equivalently priced upscaling SD DVD players. So there is now no excuse for not buying a HD player.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The Bourne Trilogy
Casablanca
Hot Fuzz
Inside Man
Blood Diamond
Blade Runner
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Few Good Men
Identity
Pixar Shorts Collection Volume 1

Other reasons would include:

- Because any picture on SD DVD above 40" looks at least a little soft (the bigger, the softer);
- The players are far cheaper at that stage than SD DVD was in the first 2 years;
- If you shop around, most discs can be had at a pretty reasonable price, too;
- You know the PS2 was a crap DVD player? The PS3 is a superb BD player;
- "£180 for an HD-E30? Plus how many free films?"

Steve W

I would rate hot fuzz the same as transformers! Just sold my copy of transfomers on this very forum!

There are some slight drawbacks with HD, spending months pis...ng about with firmware up-dates because one simply had to have the latest technology and of course the best available on paper at the time the XE1 even though it was rushed to market half cocked, then there is the loading time and the humming, I suppose when you actually get down to watching and hearing though all the negativess dis-appear, just having a winge about my HD experiences, sorry if slightly off topic.

Oh and yes, the final winge on the HD subject, lack of sexy packaging of the actual discs themselves!

I have some issues with my ep35, but when my new films come, i may forget all about them. Then again, that's if they actually play properly.....

:D one of the better bits of propaganda I've read recently.. ;)

It seems for many though the players are now more important than the format. :cool:
You've hit the nail on the head there, IMHO.

Discs and players come and go, but formats endure.

I think sometimes we need to take a more far-sighted view than just cramming-up on weeekly sales figures or flavour-of-the-month feature-sets.

Nick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom