Quantcast

Top 10 Horror Movie Classics on Amazon's Shudder & Comments

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Nothing new/ modern apart from it follows
( Which I rate highly)?
Well, One Cut is only a couple of years old.

But there are a couple of reasons for this:
1. I was trying to pick things I consider worthy of note ranging from the 60's through every decade to now.
2. Most of the more modern stuff on Shudder is DTVOD and is therefore generally garbo.

A lot of things I would say are modern classics aren't available specifically on Shudder currently.

@systemsdead
You're not the only one who feels that way, for sure.
Also Golden Glove was pretty flipping grim

Last edited:

Slinkywizard

It Follows is a modern horror masterpiece. Layers and layers of subtly, gets better with each watch.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
I also rate It Follows for many reasons.

I’ve been hesitant to sign up to Shudder because of the maximum resolution it distributes it’s streams at, 480-720p. Does not look good on my TV. Content looks okay, apart from their originals (which’s there’s one or two I’d like to see rather than import the JP Blu-Ray at >£30) it’s pretty run of the mill.

hopefully it grows and originals and resolution improves in time. My favourite genre!

Monkeyjunk

Standard Member
The scariest thing about Shudder is that it's showing the classic An American Werewolf In London in 4:3 pan and scan very retro.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I also rate It Follows for many reasons.

I’ve been hesitant to sign up to Shudder because of the maximum resolution it distributes it’s streams at, 480-720p. Does not look good on my TV. Content looks okay, apart from their originals (which’s there’s one or two I’d like to see rather than import the JP Blu-Ray at >£30) it’s pretty run of the mill.

hopefully it grows and originals and resolution improves in time. My favourite genre!
Through their own app, sure, but through the Amazon add on, 1080p has been the standard for me.
Fingers crossed for a quality bump in the near future.
I'm not really sure why Amazon can't just link the Shudder catalogue to their own so that when you select a title through Shudder, it plays the Amazon stream of that title.

Anyway, for a free month, it's hardly criminal.

mitch

Distinguished Member
Nice list the only one I'd take a dump on is It Follows, I also see Shudder have added a couple of great messed-up ones Gerald Kargl's brilliant Angst and my current No1 film of the year The Golden Glove.
Disagree about It Follows but agree with The Golden Glove that was brutal.

terencejames

I don't think it's easy to find but if you've got 4+ hours to spare and an itching for some horror, check out 'In search of Darkness', It's a documentary about 80's horror. It's got some decent interviews with John Carpenter amongst others

dmk1198

Well, One Cut is only a couple of years old.

But there are a couple of reasons for this:
1. I was trying to pick things I consider worthy of note ranging from the 60's through every decade to now.
2. Most of the more modern stuff on Shudder is DTVOD and is therefore generally garbo.

A lot of things I would say are modern classics aren't available specifically on Shudder currently.

@systemsdead
You're not the only one who feels that way, for sure.
Also Golden Glove was pretty flipping grim
Thnx Tim yes I never seem to get one cut to play with subtitles so have not seen it, and I will watch changeling so thnx was just hoping you D under afew modern hidden gems

Savor Muck Fuss

Standard Member
Nothing new/ modern apart from it follows
( Which I rate highly)?
It's not in the list, but the graphic shows 'Mayhem (2017)'.

It has the excellent Samara Weaving in it, who I think is becoming a bit of a cult horror queen...for me anyway.

I had a lot of fun watching it. Recommended.

MattDX

Also shudder had a series called cursed films which explores if some of the classic horrors (including twilight zone the movie) were cursed as the press at the time suggested they were.
The twilight zone episode is particularly harrowing due to the deaths of children on set.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Teeth is worth a watch too, if only because there's not many movies about a bitey vagina.

mitch

Distinguished Member
Monstrum is very good especially for fans of the Netflix show Kingdom.