Top 10 Blu-rays (UK) for June 2022 - review discussion

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more macho trailer than the one linked for Extreme Prejudice in your reviews! :D

Competitions added for EXTREME PREJUDICE as well as Licorice Pizza, which comes complete with a Vinyl Soundtrack too. Links in the Article. The Card Counter competition to follow shortly.

Dont think I have ever seen Extreme Prejudice! I will be though...

It’s pretty good from what I can remember. Not seen it since the vhs era. Proper Walter Hill macho stuff.

Interesting that we're still seeing films released on BR at a time when streaming is the de facto go-to for film watching and manufacturers are slowly killing-off BR machines.

Interesting that we're still seeing films released on BR at a time when streaming is the de facto go-to for film watching and manufacturers are slowly killing-off BR machines.
Streaming wont cover a lot of the films many like here. Or you'd have to subscribe to many different services. Not something Ill ever be doing except Prime.

Great article.

Just put in a order for Extreme Prejudice and Licorice Pizza as it is Hill and Anderson two of my favourite directors, never seen EP so that will be getting viewed first.

The Card Counter is another must as its Schrader and after the great return to form with First Reformed.

Also up for the two Enzo G Castellari films as I really enjoy his work, just a shame that High Crime doesn't have the longer cut of the film on the disc, you need the German Blu-ray for that.

If you like Enzo work check out The Big Racket and The Heroin Busters that Arrow released in April, both great fun, on disc or the Arrow Channel.

One release that I would like to highlight coming this month and is a big one
for me is Columbia Noir 5 focusing on Bogart himself.

D1F6D105-5462-44FE-A82F-53C1F35CD394.jpeg

I am not expecting all of these to be at the level of The Big Sleep or other Bogart Classics, but I can not wait to dig in to this set.

Last for me, yes I know its not on one of the great Labels we have here but it is one of the best films of the years for me so far and that is Ti West X

9C301ADD-4AF9-484A-ACBD-78F42E8DC135.jpeg

Only on Blu here, the 4K disc in the States got cancelled but it looks like a 4K disc in Germany is coming in September so may wait for that.

Well worth your time if you like films that are truly messed up.

Last edited:
Great article.

Just put in a order for Extreme Prejudice and Licorice Pizza as it is Hill and Anderson two of my favourite directors, never seen EP so that will be getting viewed first.

The Card Counter is another must as its Schrader and after the great return to form with First Reformed.

Also up for the two Enzo G Castellari films as I really enjoy his work, just a shame that High Crime doesn't have the longer cut of the film on the disc, you need the German Blu-ray for that.

If you like Enzo work check out The Big Racket and The Heroin Busters that Arrow released in April, both great fun, on disc or the Arrow Channel.

One release that I would like to highlight coming this month and is a big one
for me is Columbia Noir 5 focusing on Bogart himself.

View attachment 1706675

I am not expecting all of these to be at the level of The Big Sleep or other Bogart Classics, but I can not wait to dig in to this set.

Last for me, yes I know its not on one of the great Labels we have here but it is one of the best films of the years for me so far and that is Ti West X

View attachment 1706672

Only on Blu here, the 4K disc in the States got cancelled but it looks like a 4K disc in Germany is coming in September so may wait for that.

Well worth your time if you like films that are truly messed up.
Thanks chief.

And great shout on the Columbia Noir boxset - I have the previous four (although sadly not even managed to tuck into the last one at all yet!) and they're immense. A little unsure of the change of tack with the focus now being solely on Bogie but I've pre-ordered this set anyway and fingers crossed it maintains the standard and variety of the previous ones.

Its a shame that I can't include that many Indicator titles in these articles - deadlines mean I need to publish as early in the month as possible and so many of Indicators releases are back-ended in the month and they don't provide screeners like the other labels do. Grrrrrr!

Thanks chief.

And great shout on the Columbia Noir boxset - I have the previous four (although sadly not even managed to tuck into the last one at all yet!) and they're immense. A little unsure of the change of tack with the focus now being solely on Bogie but I've pre-ordered this set anyway and fingers crossed it maintains the standard and variety of the previous ones.

Its a shame that I can't include that many Indicator titles in these articles - deadlines mean I need to publish as early in the month as possible and so many of Indicators releases are back-ended in the month and they don't provide screeners like the other labels do. Grrrrrr!
I guessed the lack of screeners from Indicator was the reason it was left off reason I highlighted it for others, it looks a great set and don't mind supporting releases like like to hopefully get more.

Maybe they will change there screeners approach when they get in the 4k game soon.

Also Rumour has it they are doing sets based around Universal Noir, be great if that is true.

I guess you have already planning next months, hopefully the BFI do screeners for you for what could be one of the releases of the year coming next month, also I am looking forward to 88Films Tiger Cage Trilogy set featuring Donnie Yen, that looks like crazy fun for action junkies going by the trailers.

Plus Hell High from Arrow which I watched on the Arrow Channel the weekend, right up your street that one.

Great write up, as usual. I'm really pleased to hear you'll be doing a standalone review of The Worst Person in the World by the way. It's a minor masterpiece in my opinion, one that I've already watched via Mubi three times...(!) I have the blu ray pre-ordered too. Really keen to hear what you make of it...

Competitions added for EXTREME PREJUDICE as well as Licorice Pizza, which comes complete with a Vinyl Soundtrack too. Links in the Article. The Card Counter competition to follow shortly.

As promised, competitions added for:

The Card Counter
Kill Them All And Come Back Alone
High Crime

Great write up, as usual. I'm really pleased to hear you'll be doing a standalone review of The Worst Person in the World by the way. It's a minor masterpiece in my opinion, one that I've already watched via Mubi three times...(!) I have the blu ray pre-ordered too. Really keen to hear what you make of it...
Standalone review for The Worst Person in the World is up now here: The Worst Person in the World (Mubi) Movie Review

And it's amazing. If we'd had had the blu, it would have topped this list easily - sorry @Casimir Harlow, I know how much you love Extreme Prejudice!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom