1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toothpaste and covertec

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shirleywhite, Apr 9, 2005.

1. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My hd1 has some very very fine scratches on the display - nothing major at all but it annoys me to know they are there! I vaguely remember reading somewhere that toothpaste can be used to remove/smooth away scratches ?! Anyone tried it? Any details/descriptions?

Second question - I'm tempted to get one of the Covertec leather hd1 cases. Pictures (and description) implies cutouts etc for button use. BUT...... does that include the "lanyard" ring thing on the side?? I would like to have my hd1 in the leather case but also attached to a neck lanyard?? Greatful for any info?! ( Though I suppose I could always carefully punch a small hole in the leather if needed!)

2. TVTina

TVTina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think toothpaste is much too coarse Shirley. Good for teeth, but not plastic! I think Brasso metal polish would be better - but only use a tiny amount

3. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As TVTina said... toothpaste is good on teeth (and glass) but bad on plastic

In addition, I've used brasso myself to polish out the scratches on my hd1... including those caused by toothpaste on a 'test-section' of the plastic... just use a soft cloth (I used scraps from an old cotton tshirt)... it'll take a bit of rubbing to get rid of the film that brasso leaves behind but once that's gone it looks good as new.

4. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies!! Looks like a very small amount of Brasso then! ( Means I can then drink the rest of the tin!!! ) LOL. A joke - honest!!!

5. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what a 'small amount' means for you, but I think I was pretty liberal with it.... just more to 'film' to polish away at the end that's all...

PS: close examination of the covertec case pics shows that the lanyard hole is indeed covered.

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use a cd cleaning pack for my Ipod. It has a brasso type liquid as well as a polishing fluid and relevant cloths. cost peanuts from Wilkinsons IIRC.

I thought that as cds are plastic and have scratches it can't be too much different from delicate plastics of mp3 players. Works well anyway!

7. TVTina

TVTina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan. Your's is probably a better solution (pun not intended!)

Tina

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Have a search for Plexus polish. For normal cleaning try isopropanol and water - cheap and effective

9. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Londonecca.