Tools to check hard disk (WD Red)

zantarous

Distinguished Member
I have an issue with the SHR Raid on my Synology NAS, I recently added a new WD Red 14TB to the device and since then the RAID performance has been terrible where I get fluctuating write speeds, I have been in touch with Synology to ask if they have any tools beyond what is provided in the NAS to see which disk may be causing the issue.

They were unfortunately of no real help, they literally repeated back to me what I had told them, yep Volume 2 works fine, Volume 1 is very slow, here look we found the same thing with our tests. They have suggested I contact the manufacture for tools to diagnose the drives themselves. They also suggested that two of the WD 10TB I have are not on their compatibility list even though a) they have been in the NAS for over two years and b) there is a difference of one letter in the model number.

So does anyone have any experience of using WD Red tools, I have a USB HDD dock that I can put them in but struggling to find any told on their site, their Digital Dashboard seems to be specifically for SSDs.

Also does anyone know what happens to the NAS when I take a disk out does it continue to function and you just can't access the data on that drive or is the whole thing out of action?

I am really surprised Synology have no utility for logging the performance of a RAID Volume.

Edit:

Looks like even though the dashboard description says otherwise the support page for a WD Red still takes you there WD Red so maybe that is the one.

Last edited:

Ross Martin

When i buy my disks i scan them with Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. I do the extended test which takes hours/days. If all ok i then put it into my NAS.

Just to confirm the RAID has been built? The performance will be poor if the RAID is building due to the addition of the disk. Also what model number drive did you get?

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Yes it is an existing RAID that has been in service for about 2 years and 9ish months. It is combination of:

2x 8TB WD Red WD80EFZX-68UW8N0
2x 10TB WD Red WD100EFAX (apparently the AX is not on their compatibility list but the BX is)
2x 14TB WD Red WD100EFAX

The issue started after I added the second 14TB Drive a couple of weeks ago up until then it has been a rock solid RAID. And not it seems like it could be anyone of these devices, I do notice that Drive 5 is always 100% utilised when I copy data so wonder if that one is the issue.

I have a PC that I am going to set up and move all my apps and Plex server to and I am almost tempted to just delete the volume and run without Raid that should let me see which Drive is iffy but not sure what the other downsides will be. I back up all my data to external drives and do this every few days so not worried about redundancy.

brunation

Your EFAX drives are SMR drives.

You need to get the SMART data (and log) for the drive in question and see if anything untoward is happening.

brunation

Just to be clear, if the drive is having access issues it's the log you require:
  • smartctl -x /dev/sdX
  • smartctl -l error /dev/sdX

mjn

Distinguished Member
That 14TB drive will be SMR surely? And SMR are not recommended for RAID due to the way they're constantly moving data around. For RAID stick with PMR drives :)

mjn

Distinguished Member
Why do you say surely? WD Reds SMR are only in the 2-8 TB range, these ones are CMR drives.
Because SMR is used to gain greater density on the drives and 14TB is in the upper sizing. Which is why i used Seagate IronWolf for my 10TB RAID drives. They still use PMR.

mjn

Distinguished Member

zantarous

Distinguished Member
So finally finished doing an extended SMART test on all the drives and as expected all are showing an healthy and there is nothing in the logs to indicate that there is any issue with the drives.

Now the funny thing is after I did the test on Drive 1 (the fifth one I did the test on) my write speed has dramatically in improved, almost back to normal, however any apps using this volume are still showing signs of the RAID not behaving properly.

The only thing that was abnormal was that Drive 5, which estimated the test to take 24, went for almost 3 days. Drive 6 which is the same model took just over 24 hours so I am wondering of 5 might be the one causing the issue. When the RAID wasn't working it seemed to be constantly at high utilisation when I was copying data.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Are they all running at the same SATA interface speed?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification