1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took the plunge....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mike79, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ...and bought a Panasonic PW7 earlier tonight :thumbsup:

Cheers to Alistair Collie and Hays from AV Sales for all the advice!! :hiya:

Need to look into connecting the Sky, DVD and PS2 to it now using 1 scart board.... not using VGA, but may end up with a Quintro if I can't think of a sollution for 3 scarts into 1 using RGB connections..... :confused:

Cheers to everyone else on here that offered advice in my search :smashin:

Mike :cool:

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I ended up with and I must say the quality is excellent. Especially if you use reasonably good cables.

3. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a rake about on here yesterday, and think I may daisychain :oops: the PS2 through SKY, which means I only need a 2 into 1 RGB SCART switcher... Bit skint to shell out the extra £100 for the Quintro at the moment!! :laugh:

Besides, the other half will roast me if I introduce yet another remote control to the equation :p

4. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I dont know what the quality is like but you can get scart switch/sharing units from £15 at places like Currys et al. Yep not as good as £100 efforts I bet - but you dont want to be faffing around back of AV set up on Christmas Day everytime you want to put a film on or play a game.
    I'd get a £15 effort to see you thru a couple more pay cheques and then go for the £100 option. You could also get a DVD recorder/two scart DVD which is only gonna cost you £100 more than a decent scart box. All depends on which DVD you have at present but thats the option I'm considering.

Final point - 8 years on, why of why do manufacturers not put 2 scarts on a DVD by default to allow exactly this sort of daisy-chain? Do they all have shares in the scart box manufacturers? Its bugged me for years!!!

5. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were even considering paying £100 for a SCART switcher it might be worth diverting those funds into the RGb to VGA converter from JS Tech - I'm about to order one for my 37 PW7 and I've heard the results are phenomenal.

Not only that, but your SCART terminal would then be free to plug in, say, your PS2 and you could use Picture in Picture with it too :thumbsup:

You should also consider getting the BNC Component terminal, which is available for around £90 including delivery, and then a component lead (and BNC/RCA adapters from Maplin if necessary) for your PS2 or DVD etc. Thanks to MAW for that tip, I'm about to do exactly that...

:smashin:

6. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ahhhhhhhhhh, run the PS2 via RGB SCART to the plasma, and the DVD player daisy-chained through sky then sky via the JS RGB/VGA box to the VGA input????
    Nice one, cheers for that :)

7. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  8. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :D IT'S ARRIVED :thumbsup:

......pooping myself about mounting it now!! :eek:

Going to B&Q tonight to see what the best mounts etc to use will be.... Also no clue as to what I am going to do about wires etc. Below where the screen is going is the fire, which is flush into the wall. Think the wall is lath & plaster, and behind that is a nice granite wall.... Hopefully I will be able to mount using the plaster only.... :suicide:

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately most cheapo scart switchers (all that I know!) don't have all the pins connected so you lose out on RGB and widescreen switching.

Also if you really wanted to you can add another scart to the Panasonic!! Would much rather avoid the scart myself and use the converter tho

10. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    it's started!!

Holes in the wall last night (lath & plaster) and the power, centre speaker and SCART cables are behind the wall.... :thumbsup: Just need some no more gaps to hide the holes now!!

Trip to B&Q this afternoon when I get finished here for some heavy duty fixings and then Comet for a 2 into 1 scart, and a PS2 RGB cable

Get it on the wall in the afternoon, and then watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation tonight :smashin:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

[​IMG]