1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took the plunge on the PHD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Northmoorblue, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At some point you have to make the decision and go for it. I have done this and this week purchased a new Panny PHD6 from AV-sales. :D

After reading the forums for several weeks which hace been a great help, I decided on an HD type either the 42" PHD-6 or the 43" Pio 43MXE-1 as alonger term purchase.

I took a trip to AV Sales with an open mind, who had the 42" SD & HD pannies, and a 43" Pio set up, so they could all be viewed at the same time through the Denon 3805 amp and 2900 DVD player. The Pio did look a lot bigger than the Pannies.

I viewed several DVD's, and some sky channels, tweeked about with the settings a bit but each time my eyes kept coming back to the HD6. To me the 'darker' pannies gave a more realistic feel to the picture, and on LOTR it was phenominal.

Colours though were not as bright or vibrant as the Pio, as when watching something like Toy Story showed, but for me I just preferred the toned down picture of the pannies.

The clarity of the picture I thought was slightly better on the HD as well from the SD & the Pio.

Each has ther own followers and capabilities, and I have based my decision on information gathered and having a demo. I have made my decision and payed my money and am sure I wont be dissapointed. Its a big step up to another level for me. They had one in stock, so I had to bring it home with me, in the back of a KA?

There is also the option of adding a scaler into the system to make further improvements, which is probably the way I will go (any advice on the one to go for?).

Thanks to AV-Sales for a no pressure demo & hospitality, and a good deal on the panny. I was also concerned about dead pixels, so Andrew set it up for me and checked it there and then. Not a dead pixel in sight.

Great sevice and highly recommended. :thumbsup:

That's all Folks

Northmoorblue

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Glad you've made your decision. I was at AVSales the other day too, looking at those displays. The pioneer (HDE not MXE) wasn't set-up too well - looking at the displays they had on... display, I can't imagin anyone would think the Pio was better. When I viewed LOTR, the colours weren't right on it. The 50" version of the same screen was set-up much better.

I'm about to go for the MXE1, but the PHD6 is a great choice too.

Video processors: How much have you got to spend? I'm going for a Hi Def Lumagen, to do 1:1 pixel mapping for the HD screen.

3. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trigaaar

Yeah these things are not always set up perfectly. I did take that into account, and many owners say that the picture gets better with use. Its a matter of making your choice and then start to improve the set up at home. I,m just a panny fan I guess.

Hope you enjoy your MXE-1

Price not too much of a problem. What price and from where the processor you mention? Don't know much about processors, is this the one to have?

Northmoorblue

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    The two to have at the moment are the Lumagen & Crystalio. The Lumagen is being sold, but the software is still in Beta for a while. As for what's best, its too early for direct comparisons, but owners of both are seem very happy.

Do you use sky, cable or freeview?
    And what DVD do you have?

There's only one Crystalio, which can take SDI input (will describe below) and a range of component, s-video etc. It looks great, has an LCD for set-up, and has a top of the line price of about £2K to you.

There are 3 Lumagens in the new range.
    Vision DVI - great for a DVI DVD player & DVI input on plasma, but progressive output only goes to 720p (not bad, but with your HD Panny, you'd be better off with a HD Lumagen:
    Vision HDP - will output from 480p-1080p = 1:1 pixel map with your plasma. Yours for about £1K. SDI mod for £250. Looks cheap compared to Crystalio, but actual output will be simillar.
    Vision HDP Pro - nicer case than std HDP, includes SDI as std, has good component out for pjs, etc. Cost around £1.7K

Personally, I'm going for the std HDP, with SDI output. Not prepared to pay the extra for a nice finish, when it's going to sit next to xbox and friends.

SDI - You can buy sky+ boxes & dvd players with SDI output (or have your own boxes modified). This means that the digital signal they start with, is never converted to analogue (loss), but sent digitally to your processor, and digitally to your plasma. New DVI dvds do simillar, but SDI allows you to use it with sky etc too, and your display doesn't have to have DVI license (HDCP).

5. BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

How on earth did you get it in the back of a KA (I assume you mean the Ford KA's) ?

6. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BuzzLightyear

I thought that might raise an eyebrow. Yes it was a Ford KA. I didn't expect to come back with one, and it was a bit of a challenge for them.

It just about went in on the back seat after removing the rear quarter window on one side to ease it in, & moving the passenger seat right back to support the box. A snug fit. Had to use my mirrors more though, as I couldn't see a thing out of the rear window.

Trigaaar

I have sky

The std HDP with SDI sounds as though that would be the one for me also. Where to buy?

I am in thre process of upgrading both my dvd player (Panasonic DVD-RV60 at present :blush: ) and amp (Yamaha DSP-A2 at present). Possibly looking at the pioneer 868 or similar? Not sure which amp (dreaming about the Yamaha DSP Z9). Looking at something with up scaling, my intention being to up covert to component and then feed that to the plasma.

Thx for your advice so far

Northmoorblue

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Manufacturers are having to make all sources with digital out (like the Pio 868) HDCP (Hidef copyright protection i assume). This means you display needs to accept HDCP (I think the Panny does).
    SDI (serial digital interface i think) has long been used by producers, and is the exception to needing copyright protection.
    If your dvd has HDCP digital out, and you plasma can accept it, and you don't want a modified sky+ box, there's no need to go SDI. The Pio 868 output can go into a Lumagen's DVI slot (without the need for SDI mod) and into a Panny's DVI card.

Main reason I'm going SDI is that I want my sky to output digital video. Modifying a dvd too just gives more choice on which dvd player you start with.

Where to buy - on this forum:
    Gordon at convergent - uk distributer I think - can also ISF calibrate your plasma
    Joe Fernand - very knowledgable on your plasma
    CRTProjectors - Henry supplies Lumagen & Crystalio

EDIT - PS
    The Lumagen/Crystalio et al would do the de-interlacing and scaling. That's their job. In the scenario I've given, video would not go through you amp. There would be a digital feed to your plasma, which is this case would be even better than component (which is analogue).

8. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very useful info Trigaaar thx.

Could you just expand on the digital feed to the plasma. Is this a direct connection via a single cable to the amp? Does the amp have to covert the signal to a digital one? Are all amps capable of this? (sorry if I'm being a bit thick)

Its all quite confusing?

Northmoorblue

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    In a rush, but...

In the situation I've described, the amp would not get anywhere near the video signal. It would only do audio.

The signal is digital on you favourite dvd, and would stay that way out of the player, through the processor (Lumagen etc) to you screen. So, single cable from dvd player to Lumagen, then 2nd single cable to plasma.

You would also send sky to the Lumagen. You can only do this digitally with SDI mod - otherwise analogue. If analogue, the lumagen would convert from analogue to digital, and send to the plasma.

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,471
    Just got my Lumagen HDP today (thanks Joe!) , went for SDI inputs and BNC outputs but will probably use the DVI output eventually. Going to have a play tonight/over the weekend so I'll post my thoughts then. Bear in mind it's on beta firmware at the moment though so improvements will no doubt be in the pipeline!

Cheers
    Andy

11. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zAndy1

Did you get the chance over the weekend to to use the Lumagen HDP? Would be very interested on how you got on, and improvements noticed at this stage.

Northmoorblue