1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took delivery of my first projector today!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by iMan, Nov 27, 2003.

1. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I took delivery of my very first projector, a Mitsubishi XD300U. The Draper screen is going to be another 10 days though as it's been imported from USA to my home land of England UK.
    I set it up and watched a film projected onto a white sheet that I pinned to the wall.

Two questions, firstly will the picture quality improve when my expensive screen turns up, compaired to white sheet and secondly I noticed very randem rainbow like flashes on cetain parts of the screen during the movie, more-so if I just blinked for example?? is this a fault with the projector? It isn't a big deal, first I thought it was my imagination, if I just concentrate on watching the movie I don't (well hardly ever) really see it??

Will a more expensive DVD player also improve the picture quality, mine is a 5 year old Sony with no componant out. Someone told me that I should use a componant out from the DVD player, not surre if my Mitsubishi XD300U has componant in though?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok you can see rainbows which is the downside to dlp projectors you may get used to them and not see them. As for the screen yes PQ will improve alot, i noticed a huge difference from a white wall to a screen. And as for the dvd player get an new one asap, this is the biggest factor in PQ I would recommend the sony ns930 which is PAL progressive scan and sacd, a top rated player I got it for £225 with delivery. You would be hard match to get a better player without spending £600 this player is simply awsome. Using the component outs you can get a 625p picture for a fantastic image. Component is a must for a huge improvement over s-video and a massive over composite and I do mean massive.

review here:
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3023

3. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice, thanks. So ging by what you said "Rainbow effect" is norman in DLP (even expensive ones?).
    As for the Componant thing. What does the componant socket look like and how do I find out if my projector Mitsibushi XD300U has one?

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look here for a summary of how DLP projectors work.

The rainbows are seen because the projector only projects a single
    colour at a time and relies on the viewers brain to merge the three colours back together. The faster the colour wheel spins the better this 'illusion' works and the less likely the viewer is to see rainbows. Your mitsubishi has a 2x wheel (according to the projectorcentral review anyway) that is probably the slowest you'd want to have in a HC projector, many newer models have 4x+ wheels and even 6 segment wheels instead of 3 (or 4 if theres a 'white' segmant) which effectively doubles the speed of the wheel and reduces the appearance of rainbows. Very expensive projectors (read ha ha ha $$) use one DLP chip for each colour and no wheel, these are pretty much the pinnacle of digital projection as it stands at the moment :)

A component connection is via three phono sockets, usually red, green and blue and labeld Y, Cr, Cb or something similar ;)

-- Jon

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If you want the dvd player I mentioned it's here for £222 with free next day delivery. Thats the cheapest on the net and it's multiregion.

This company is the best I have ever dealt with when they say next day it's here the next day:)

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.asp?ID=491