1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took a flight to London today.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by cheshire_carper, Aug 17, 2005.

1. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have to travel between offices for my company.

Was in Dixons, Terminal 1. They had the HD5s in for 170 all in (tax free).

I wanted to pick one up but as I have said on here, the playlist functionality is just not all there for me.

So I picked up another Ipod color (I had a 60Gb but it hissed like hell with quality phones so it went back a few weeks ago).

Well this one does not hiss as bad but they still have ambient background hiss from the internal amp when no music is playing, with a pair of e3c Shures.

So if you are ever told they do not hiss, don't believe it. They have a slight background hiss that seems to vary from unit unit - but I must stress, you really need canal phones and sensitive ones at that to pick it up. But if you are into quality hifi its there for all to see (hear!). You will not pick it up with standard phones.

But, the itunes playlist capabilities are excellent. I bloody *hate* the ipod image, I hate the 'lifestyle' ***** that goes with it and I truly want to buy another unit. But until another has the capability to

Dynamically work out which tracks I play the most
    Which are my favourite ones
    Which ones my wife likes
    Which hiphop tracks I rate three and above and have played in the last two days
    Which tracks I haven`t yet played, so should be pushed to the unit for playing....etc, etc

Then I`m stuck with the iPod, wearing a pair of black phones (so people don`t think I'm a ****), hiding the unit in a black case, and sneaking it out when the public are not there.

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do take your point about playlisting. Its one area of the sony that is badly lacking. Although I don't give a rats arse about these "smart playlists" everyone keeps banging on about. I like the HD5, and it doesn't hiss ;)

3. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :)

Not that bad, at least your buying it for the right reasons. I prefer to just randomise my music when I'm on the move sometimes because if a playlist just generally plays my faves, then I won't hear other songs that I didn't know I liked until I hear them again.

I think the iPod can play those too in another way too though...but still.

I almost bought a 20gb colour but went for the HD5 instead. Either way I'm sure I would've been happy.

4. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had the HD5 in my hand but I kept thinking - but my missus will freak when she tries to work out which are her tunes and which are mine.

The smart playlists are something you learn to rely on. When you don`t have em you don't care. I wish I never saw em in the first place.

Coz I HATED itunes at first - but then I got suckered. It started to keep a track of the music I liked.

Oh crap - it suckered me.

But if its cool, the HD5 wins hands down. Its retro chic. I should have bought both, and thought, hmmmm, why did I do that then.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Although I do by far prefer the sound quality of the HD5, mine hisses more than my iPod ever did.

6. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Funny you should say that before I bought my i-pod I did listen to the hd3. I wasnt impressed with the bass and I though I could hear hissing.
    I do not have this problem with my pod.

However I am aware that some will prefer the sony sound quality however I am one who doesn't.

7. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Really, you kept that quiet ;) :D

8. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

I love Sony Really I do. :D

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could just set the genre of her music to 'missus' or something lol.

The HD5 does lack playlisting, but mostly on the fly stuff, If i were sony i would try and get the player to do everything SS is meant to so to prevent people from opening ss. Bookmarks other than single songs are a definate requirement.

Is the 'hiss' the motor noise when you turn the player on and the hard drive starts up??? because mine does that. Im pretty sure it doesn't during the song, well considering the hard drive turns off anyway.

I did also find that the player actually has noise (or hiss whatever you like to call it) when the AC adaptor is plugged in. Song playing or not the speakers or 'phones has electrical noise in the background when the power is pluggen in, its actually much more noticable than the normal hard drive hiss on start up, and since it hisses all the time its bad.

10. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No, its not HD static, although my old one did have that.

This is like 'amp' noise. When you crank up an amp, that sound that is there when no source is feeding through it.

But as I said, you have to have sensitive earphones to notice it. My Shures pick it up from most things.

But the playlists are excellent. Sony need dynamic playlists - they will never catch up if they don't bother with those.

11. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've noticed any hiss from my HD5 through E3c's.

12. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It def on the ipod when no music is playing.

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It's a design flaw unfortunately, but isn't noticeable when the music is playing. I'm convinced that as the iPod has matured, the circuit design has been dumbed down to shrink it to the size it is. I reckon the original and 2G iPods actually had SQ leading the design, not the other way round, as it appears to be now.
    Saying that, you'd need to be really nitpicking to use that argument as a reason for not upgrading to a newer version of iPod from an older one.
    It's just some wee things show this to be a trend that has allowed Apple to cater to consumer pressure, to reduce the size and cost of the iPod with each revision.

14. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I nearly bought refurb gen 3, as I prefer that to the new uns and after my 60 gig hiss city.

But monkeys push them out for 170 + 15 quid.

I aint payin that for a refurb