Too old for a Pioneer HDD recorder?

HHGTTG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot about the Pioneer DVD HDD recorders, of late and was thinking of replacing my old VCR with a Pioneer DVR530s, but having downloaded the user's manual, in PDF form, find the whole thing a bit overwhelming with its different recording modes etc and was wondering whether I would be able to cope with all its complexities?

I was walking around Comet yesterday and saw that they had several in stock for £399.99p and was very tempted, rather than ordering over the internet with the slight saving of about £30 for the inconvenience of having to stay indoors and listen out for the doorbell when the courier arrives in the next day or so etc. and then perhaps having to send it back, somewhere 'oop North', should it be faulty!#
:(

John Lewis sell it for the same price. You would be wiser to buy there. They give a 2 year warranty.

It's not much different to a VCR in many respects, so you should be ok.

I wouldn't worry too much about the different modes, just set it to 'fine' record mode so you get the best quality. Set it to external channel L1 if you are recording from a set top box and then just press the record button and it will record what is playing on your set top box or whatever. Alternatively use the programme timer to record programs when you are out, just the same as a VCR.

Once you've got the hang of it you can delve a bit deeper and do some editing of your programmes and back them up to dvd.

I bought a Pioneer 433 from Currys for £299. It really is simple to use. Timer recordings are easier than VCR when using the "easy timer" mode. User manuals appear complicated but not when you have "hands on experience" with the machine in front of you. The 433 has an 80GB hard drive which is sufficient for me. I am editing footage of my grandchildren at the moment - no problems. Yes, I am a pensioner.

cryocon said:
It's not much different to a VCR in many respects, so you should be ok.

I wouldn't worry too much about the different modes, just set it to 'fine' record mode so you get the best quality. Set it to external channel L1 if you are recording from a set top box and then just press the record button and it will record what is playing on your set top box or whatever. Alternatively use the programme timer to record programs when you are out, just the same as a VCR.

Once you've got the hang of it you can delve a bit deeper and do some editing of your programmes and back them up to dvd.

'External Channel L1'. Is that the input marked AV2 (Input 1/Decoder) in the user's manual? as that is the input into which the STB would be plugged according to their diagrams in same?

I'd disagree with cryocon about using fine mode for day to day TV timeshifting.
Fine mode will only give you 34 hours of recording on the 160GB HDD; SP will give about 68. Even LP mode is better than an average VHS tape. SP is way ahead.
You'll be surprised how quickly it runs out, even if you only keep a few TV programs 'to watch later'.

With the Pioneer 530 you can use Guide+, very much like the Sky epg. Just select the program you want record and leave it to get on with it.

The default SP mode is fine for me and I am fairly critical.

Phantom Phixer said:
With the Pioneer 530 you can use Guide+, very much like the Sky epg. Just select the program you want record and leave it to get on with it.
GuidePlus will only work with compatible Set Top Boxes - but most are except for a few old models (like my ageing Grundig GDT1000). The STB should be in the 530 set up when you go through it, but you can check on http://www.europe.guideplus.com/En/help/supextrec_uk.html#1

HHGTTG don't worry about the machine being complicated it is very intuitive to use but if you do get any problems there is plenty of people her that are more than happy to help.

eddyad said:
GuidePlus will only work with compatible Set Top Boxes - but most are except for a few old models (like my ageing Grundig GDT1000). The STB should be in the 530 set up when you go through it, but you can check on http://www.europe.guideplus.com/En/help/supextrec_uk.html#1

Can't see my Matsui DTR1 STB in that list, unless it's in disguise under another make - Philips etc who seem to have similar model numbers?

I notice that the Matsui DTR1 box is now being sold in the Argos catalogue under the Wharfedale brand!
:)

HHGTTG said:
'External Channel L1'. Is that the input marked AV2 (Input 1/Decoder) in the user's manual? as that is the input into which the STB would be plugged according to their diagrams in same?

That is correct.

I have a Pinoeer 420, with my Sky box plugged into AV2 then AV1 is plugged into the TV. The signal from the Sky box passes through the 420 even if it is in standby mode.

merlynn said:
HHGTTG don't worry about the machine being complicated it is very intuitive to use but if you do get any problems there is plenty of people her that are more than happy to help.

Thanks for that vote of confidence and offers of help. It's much appreciated.

Although I love and read all about technology and am considered a bit of a technology expert (Ha, Ha) amongst my peers, I find the actual changeover from one type of format to another a bit daunting, I'm afraid to say and of course there is my partner who can barely get to grips with the VCR despite the fact that I have had many since their inception in the late seventies!

eddyad said:
I'd disagree with cryocon about using fine mode for day to day TV timeshifting.
Fine mode will only give you 34 hours of recording on the 160GB HDD; SP will give about 68. Even LP mode is better than an average VHS tape. SP is way ahead.
You'll be surprised how quickly it runs out, even if you only keep a few TV programs 'to watch later'.

I use it on Fine mode as it suits my needs best. I don't keep loads of stuff on the hdd, just programs i miss. I watch, backup to dvd if i want to keep them, then delete from hdd.

If you are going to keep all you programs then you will need to experiment to see which setting is best for you to give you the best ratio of quality v's space. Either way it's a simple one button press to change the record mode, or set it when you do a timer record.

HHGTTG said:
Can't see my Matsui DTR1 STB in that list, unless it's in disguise under another make - Philips etc who seem to have similar model numbers?

I notice that the Matsui DTR1 box is now being sold in the Argos catalogue under the Wharfedale brand!
:)
Assuming you get the Pioneer 530, you can experiment with other STB settings for Guide Plus and the Matsui.
If you are out of luck then around £40 should get you an STB on the list, then your TV and recorder will be independent of each other for Freeview and you will be able to watch one digital channel and record another.
Miost of us are still on 'watch digital / record analogue' or vice versa until we get second digital tuners either in integrated TVs or recorders - the latter still rather rare.

eddyad said:
Assuming you get the Pioneer 530, you can experiment with other STB settings for Guide Plus and the Matsui.
If you are out of luck then around £40 should get you an STB on the list, then your TV and recorder will be independent of each other for Freeview and you will be able to watch one digital channel and record another.
Miost of us are still on 'watch digital / record analogue' or vice versa until we get second digital tuners either in integrated TVs or recorders - the latter still rather rare.

Anyone know who Matsui's OEM is?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom