Too neutral sound

Cocksure

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone on here could lend me their expertise and help solve my dilemma. I have recently upgraded my kit to the Arcam AVP700, P1000 & DV79, and whilst I love the improvement the upgrade has brought the sound is still not right. It's too neutral, there is lots of detail and the base is nicely control but the sound has no life in it when used with my dynaudio speakers.
The speaker cable I'm running the dynaudio's off is QED X-Tube 400 so I would prefer to not have to change it if poss, the analogue interconnections on the other hand are only cheap ones in need of upgrading, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea's on what would be good interconnections to bring the life back to the sound?

Hiya,
Out of all the IC's I have tried, I found Virtual Dynamics IC's somewhat outstanding! :D :D :D

Are we talking 2 channel audio here or surround?
If it's 2 channel I would suggest that you may not be using the best source component. A DVD player by itself isn't the best for 2 channel reproduction and does sound flat and lifeless. An inexpensive DAC may be the answer for you. Something like a NOSDAC off ebay for £150 or less. It would certainly improve the 'life' in the music. This would be my first thing to try, if it fails you can always re sell for little loss.
Also worth playing around with speaker positioning. Getting this right can often make a dramatic improvement.
If you find that makes no difference then you could give some different interconnects a try. VHAudios Pulsar interconnects are excellent well made and might add a bit of sparkle to the system. Home Grown audio's cables are also good. Analysis plus also make some excellent cables. The personal favourite of mine are Atlas. Well made and reasonably priced. They do tend towards totally neutral though.....
IMHO a cable shouldn't alter the sound, it should allow through what is present. Not saying it won't work but it's worth avoiding spending more on cabling than you've spent on your DVD player.
HTH

Knightshade said:
Are we talking 2 channel audio here or surround?

Both really. My old amp the Yahama RX-V1200 was so terrible for listening to music with that i never saw the point in buying a good cd player for the system. I do intend to buy a good player at a later date but i am worried that as i only have very cheap (from the yahama days) interconnecters joining the avp700 and p1000 together, any improvement in sound quality from the player will be lost in this part of the signal path.
Ideally what i am after is the right interconnectors between the DVD player (later CD player) and the 700 and then on to the p1000 for the stereo side, and still good but not as good :rolleyes: interconnectors between the 700 and p1000 for the surrond/centre channels.

deaf cat said:
Hiya,
Out of all the IC's I have tried, I found Virtual Dynamics IC's somewhat outstanding! :D :D :D

Thanks deaf cat,
Do you know anywhere in the UK that sells these cables as so far i seem to only be able to find USA sites. Also is there any particular range you would say that is the minium to look at?
cheers

I moved to Mark Grants interconnects and found a stark difference in the sound. I was using cheap Tandy interconnects that I had lying around from the early 90's (the 'good' brass / gold plated ones at that) and they didnt come close to the difference that I got from these Interconnects.

Might not work for everyone but they did it for me. Big difference. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom