Too much to ask - media compatibility and Loewe Centros

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ianh64, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have a Loewe Centros 1102 DVD recorder by virtue that it was "Free" with my Loewe TV. Apparently it is "worth £400".

I am having problems formatting discs. The recorder came with a LG DVD-RW disc, it seems to work fine, at least on the two occasions I have used it. I have recorded once to an Apple DVD-R disc, it worked fine. I bought a box of 10 Imation DVD-RW discs. I have only been able to sucessfully write a disc with one of these and that now gives read errors. Based upon research and finding that Imation DVD-RW discs infact were not very good I purchased a box of 5 TDK DVD-RW discs, apparently very reliable. The first one worked fine, a subsequent one failed.

I spoke to Loewe at the Bristol show and explained my problem (this was prior to buying the TDK discs and knowing how 'unreliable' the Imation ones were). The answer that I got was that not all discs will work correctly but they could not give me a list of brands that would work.

The failure of the discs happens on first formatting. The disc is formatted then on completion 'read' by the machine. It is then detected as a faulty disc and a repair attempted. It is then read again and fails and reformatted and the cycle starts over again.

Is it too much to ask for my DVD recorder to work on a decent range of discs? I can't believe that a whole box of 10 are all faulty.

I really am not sure what to do. As far as I am concerned the machine is useless as a recorder and I do not want to waste any more time or money buying test discs. The Loewe response is to try another disc. As far as I am concerned the machine should just work - it is not as if it is a budget machine, at least not on the outside.

Or it could be faulty?

-Ian

2. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian

why do you have to format a disk before recording is my first question. Have you tried DVD+R or +R? I have an old philips (only write to +R/RW) and I have never had to format a disk before recording?

Hope you have more luck.

Cheers Mash

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    When I put a new disc in the machine, if the disc is not recognised, it asks me to 'initialise' the disc. I have done very few discs, but I think that any disc on first use I am asked to initialise it.

-Ian

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ian,

It is normal for a recorder to initialise a new DVD-RW disc. (It may or may not always be obvious that it is doing so...)

Unfortunatly, media compatibility issues do occur in general - and it seems more so with the re-recordable -RW/+RW than -R/+R. Some recorders are more "fussy" than others about which they work with. I have a Toshiba XS32 which has been known for being somewhat fussy (though a firmware update seems to improve that). But even the XS32 works well with TDK "Scratchproof" -RW discs.

With -RW discs, what speed the recorder can support is significant; there was a change in the standard which means recorders which record -RW at 2X don't work with 4X -RW discs.... make sure the discs match the speed the recorder supports.

If that is OK, all you can do is try even more discs, or convince Loewe that you've tried enough, and it is faulty.

Mark

5. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Try the following brands Verbatim, as they seem to perfom the best on the loewe models. :)