Question Too much subwoofer eq

Olliefreddie1

Apologies if this has been asked before- probably even by myself.

For a couple of years I have run an Antimode plus Audyssey XT32 - the bass was very quick but at times just felt too polite and lacking dynamics.

So recently took out the Antimode and re-ran Audyssey.

The sound is clearly more dynamic but now I’m getting resonances at certain moments and the clarity is lacking.

Really not sure which is the biggest trade off?

Would love to hear what others have done who have been in same position as some of you must have

Many thanks

Jase

Distinguished Member
I ended up removing my Anti-Mode and selling it and now just use XT32. To be honest, varying the mic positions when running Audyssey had the greatest effect on the bass performance (and overall EQ results). I'd give that another whirl and see if things improve.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will try that - I pretty much followed the eight positions as it showed - is there anything else you can do?
You can vary the pattern of the mic placements in and around the listening position. Additionally, you can vary the height of some of them as well.

In my room, I found that grouping them within a 30-45 cm bubble would give good bass response but at the cost of imaging and dynamics. If I then spread them further out imaging etc is improved but bass drops off. It's just a case of finding a particular pattern that works and tinkering with placement from there.

Audyssey gets slated a lot but it's capable of superb results if you experiment.

This is worth a read and includes several patterns you can try out (Part 7).

Audyssey MultEQ FAQ and Setup Guide - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will try that - I pretty much followed the eight positions as it showed - is there anything else you can do?
Here is short tutorial video by AVForums how the mic should be placed (8positions) and what not to do, check it out! Might not be nothing new, but for some people it has helped.

Olliefreddie1

Thanks for all replies.
I think I may have come to the conclusion to change subwoofer- currently have a PV1. Think the PV1 may be struggling and that could be the issue.
So looking at BK 400, SVS SB2000 or Arendal 1 - so which to go for?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all replies.
I think I may have come to the conclusion to change subwoofer- currently have a PV1. Think the PV1 may be struggling and that could be the issue.
SB2000 and Arendal are priced about same (800-850£)and Arendal Jan has said; "Subwoofer 1 would be an upgrade from the SB-2000 performance wise, especially sound qualities". No reason to doubt Jan`s words as there is some information to back up how great the Sub1 is.

BK XXLS400 can`t be beaten for the low price and would be nice upgrade from the old PV1, but you might be thinking why didn`t i buy the more expensive sub straight away. If the buyers remorse comes you will be losing money selling BK etc. The saying goes; buy the best subwoofer you can afford, if you have model close to your budget but can`t buy it just yet, save for it!

As i have said earlier PV1 performance drops under 40hz like rock. Example SVS article says the most rumble is around 18-36hz with action movies, so... Plus i think the bass quality in general with Arendal subwoofers is from another planet vs. B&W. It has been around for 3 (?) years or so, you can find so many positive reviews from owners via different forums and Arendal site.

andym81

Thanks for all replies.
Hifix have an open sb 2000 for 699 if that helps

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Here is short tutorial video by AVForums how the mic should be placed (8positions) and what not to do, check it out! Might not be nothing new, but for some people it has helped.

Interesting tutorial and I'm pleased to say that I intuitively followed those guidelines on my own!

The big difference is that my AVR (Marantz SR7011) came with its own on-screen tutorial built-in regarding microphone placements: which were three on the sofa at ear height, three in front at ear height and two behind the sofa.

I actually raised the microphone above the back of the sofa so it was level with the Rears as they are positioned higher up, even though they are on floor stands. I don't know if this was "correct" or not, but it seemed the most logical thing to do.

I also had a PV1 and though it was fast and clean it just never had as much impact as I'd hoped. It's a sub much better suited to music than movies, I feel.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom