1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much information overload!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lochindaal, Mar 2, 2005.

1. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am trying to piece together an HTPC but now getting confused by the amount of information.

2 questions
    1) Does the Black Gold DVB card have an onboard freeview tuner or do I need to connect it to a seperate freeview STB.

2)If I use a Creative Audigy 2 can I output 5.1 sound when playing DVD's (and get rid of my AV amp) or does it only do this for games.

:confused:

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Black Gold card *IS* a FreeView tuner card for a PC.

The aerial *literally* goes into the back of the card and you then run a program on your PC which uses the card to display FreeView ( or you run Windows Media Center Edition which does the same thing )

Things to note:

1) I *think* you have to buy either the Windows Media Center Edition ( WMCE ) version of the card if you are going to use WMCE, or the non-WMCE version of the card if you are not using WMCE.

2) To the best of my knowledge WMCE does not currently do EPG or recordings for FreeView radio channels ( only TV channels )

3) The Black Gold card does not "do" digital teletext or red button interactive stuff

4) The Nebula DigiTV card is another FreeView card which *does* do radio recording and digital teletext but it does not currently work with WMCE ( you use the DigiTV program supplied with the Nebula card instead to watch/record FreeView TV/radio )